Author Topic: DS Actors on SoapTalk on SoapNet  (Read 2024 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
DS Actors on SoapTalk on SoapNet
« on: July 15, 2002, 07:21:33 PM »
Since for some ridiculous reason Dish Network shows the West Coast feed of SoapNet, I've got to wait until 2pm to see today's episode of SoapTalk with John Karlen, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and David Selby.  :(

However, SoapNet has alread uploaded some images from the show to their web site for anyone who wants to take a gander:

http://soapnet.go.com/soapnet/general/freeformindex_newnav?id=SoapTalkTodaysShow

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Connie

Re: DS Actors on SoapTalk on SoapNet
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 08:31:11 PM »
I've got to wait until 2pm to see today's episode of SoapTalk with John Karlen, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and David Selby.  :(

Well, at least you get to SEE it.
God, I'm so depressed.

-CLC
(heading up to the roof and preparing to jump)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 09:50:12 PM »

Well, at least you get to SEE it.

YEAH!  and from the photos on the site, she, :P er I mean THEY  ::)look great and they are having a great time!

SOMEBODY give us without the channel a detail please!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 10:48:18 PM »
SOMEBODY give us without the channel a detail please!

Well . . . There wasn't a whole lot said that hasn't been said elsewhere by the actors. It seems that the main point of the segment was to plug the DVD set and to make the actors sit through various blooper segments to see how they would react. Naturally, they laughed.

They mentioned Lara's, Kathryn's, and David's books, and talked about the Fests. KLS mentioned that the next one would be in New York. Actually, I was surprised by how little she said during this segment since she usually gets turned to as the resident expert on the show's history in these cast reunion segments.

There was pretty much no mention of what the actors have done since the show (other than the books) and little discussion of individual actors, though Karlen did take a few moments to mention that Dennis Patrick was better than he was at cracking up actors during a scene. Karlen said when he played a scene with Patrick that he had to bite the inside of his mouth so hard that it bled.  :P

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 11:47:30 PM »
David Selby talked about handmade costumes and real antiques for props.....they discussed the difficulties of working live and never being allowed to do 2nd takes.  They mentioned the festivals and that they stayed in touch with one another all the time....and then John Karlen swears he hasn't spoken to the rest of the guests in 15 years, making them all laugh....Lara Parker spoke so softly it was difficult to hear her...David Selby explained that people died all the time on the show....but the actors were always written back in as new characters or returned from the dead...KLS talked about it being the first job for many of them and John Karlen corrected her by pointing out that he'd already been on Broadway a half dozen times......the two hosts were annoying little twits who were barely born when DS was on the air the first time....one of them asked John Karlen if it was true he was always giggling on the set and Karlen denied it vehemently until he realised they were referring to his habit of giggling off camera to crack his fellow actors up, not that he routinely lost it on camera...that's when the reference to Dennis Patrick came up...I think it was KLS who mentioned Patrick's Famous Limmericks.......

Sorry for the Stream of Consciousness.....but that's the easiest way to remember what went on.  They really didn't get the chance to say much but it was wonderful to see had well they all looked.

Ringo, if KLS doesn't have a portrait in an attic somewhere, I'll be damned.

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 01:38:51 AM »
Hi,Criseyde thanks for link to Soap Net i didn't
get to see my sweetie today on the show :'(
And i'm so mad i could spit nails???
I WANTED TO SEE MY Q-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Love Anne :P :P :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 05:06:32 AM »
That's sooo kewl!!!! Thanks for the link MsCriseyde!! I think working with John Karlen would have been impossible, even just READING stuff he says cracks me up, I doubt I would have been able to perform without laughing hysterically  :D  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 09:34:39 AM »
Thanks for the link MsCriseyde, but unfortunately, I missed it too.  :(

Hey, thanks for the report RaineyPark! I enjoyed reading it and it was nice to hear what the actors thoughts on the show, epsecially Willie's witty remarks!

I agree about KLS, she definetely is hiding a portrait somewhere in her closets. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 11:53:20 PM »
The show was repeated at 2:00 a.m. on July 16h.  I missed it during the day, had to work. Yuk.  Thank goodness for the VCR.  Just wanted to add my two cents worth.  I found the hosts of this show to be so phoney.  As Rainey Pack said real twits.  I have to mention that Selby, Karlen, Parker, and KLS showed such class and were very gracious.  They were not the least pretentious.  Those young actors could take a lesson from them.  I wonder if in 30 years anyone will care or remember them.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Kitty_Cat60 =^..^=

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2002, 02:45:00 AM »
Hi all I am fairly new I have just been able to make a few posts and I watched the Soaptalk show and the only one I couldn't figure out who it was was Maggie until they posted the name below her.  

BTW did they mention where you can get the DVD?

The week before Turner South showed the House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows. I only got to see about the last 30 minutes of The House of DS  :'( :'( but I taped the Night of DS. :) I was channel surfing and came across it. I did a search and it doesn't look like they are going to reshow them soon
Kitty =^..^=

thom

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 04:30:24 PM »
Lisa Rinna the BUG EYED, big butt lipped hostess of SoapTalk would make a great character in an  upcoming DS reunion movie! This woman was a publicity whore when she was on Days the lst time and now s he's come back as AlienBillie complete with blonde wig. I have a little inside on certain actors and she's pretty notorious for seeking out actors to advance HER career, and she started with Peter Barton(Powers of Matthew Star) and eventually moved on to Harry Hamlin. None of the DS actresses were ever like this lady.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2002, 11:05:41 PM »
Some screen grabs for anyone who's interested . . .

http://www.ldrservicesonline.com/darkshadows/soaptalk.htm

These aren't much to look at. For some reason, my video card gets nasty when it has to deal with a lot of light and bright colors. If they had conducted this interview in a dark room, the grabs would look better.  :D

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2002, 09:17:35 PM »
Hey all!

Regarding the recent broadcast of SoapTalk, what bloopers did they show and what did the cast say about them? Also, did the actors mention anything that anyone had never heard before? We don't receive that channel here and I was just wondering from the lucky people were able to watch it.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2002, 02:10:37 AM »
I'm only getting a chance to read this post now, quite a bit after the fact.  Part of the reason why I didn't look at it before (besides time limitations) is that I didn't realize that I even got "SoapNet."

Is this a daily show?  How did you find out that DS guests would be featured?  Is there a way of finding out if this episode will be repeated?

Many thanks if anyone is able to answer my questions.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2002, 04:26:53 AM »
I'm only getting a chance to read this post now, quite a bit after the fact.  Part of the reason why I didn't look at it before (besides time limitations) is that I didn't realize that I even got "SoapNet."

Is this a daily show?  How did you find out that DS guests would be featured?  Is there a way of finding out if this episode will be repeated?

Many thanks if anyone is able to answer my questions.

SoapTalk is a daily show that was added to the SoapNet lineup in early June. It replaced one of the daily showings of Falcon Crest, which, if I am not mistaken, is now the only show on the network that doesn't get daily repeat showings. Can you tell I am bitter?  :P

Anyway, they do show reruns of SoapTalk. This week, all the shows are reruns, and I wouldn't be surprised if this episode gets shown again, but I don't have any definite info on that.

This particular appearance was mentioned in the Shadowgram cyber-updates and cross posted on several lists and web sites prior to its airdate. If it's shown again, I am sure it will be mentioned here and elsewhere.