Author Topic: 1969 Moon Walk vs. Dark Shadows - Historical Significance  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
1969 Moon Walk vs. Dark Shadows - Historical Significance
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:58:59 AM »
It seems that those who decided to preserve the master videotapes for Dark Shadows back in the late 1960s and early 1970s had more foresight than NASA.

According to news reports I've seen, NASA has been searching for the past few years for the original video footage that was broadcast on live TV of the first Apollo moon walk 40 years ago (does anyone here remember watching that?  [ghost_shocked] )

NASA has concluded that the original tapes of the historic Neil Armstrong moonwalk were ... TAPED OVER.

The only reason we're able to watch footage on the 40th anniversary now is that a lot of money has been poured into restoring copies taped from the original broadcast (I'm not completely clear on this last point), but the original videos are gone forever.

I believe it's Dan Curtis who deserves the credit for deciding to keep the DS episodes (with the exception of the one missing episode, and the Kinescopes) at a time when it may have seemed there was little reason to do so.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Moon Walk vs. Dark Shadows - Historical Significance
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:07:53 AM »
I believe it's Dan Curtis who deserves the credit for deciding to keep the DS episodes (with the exception of the one missing episode, and the Kinescopes) at a time when it may have seemed there was little reason to do so.

[scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm]

(I'm sorry - I just had to get that out of my system. And most of you know why.)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:24:28 AM »

[scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm] AaaahhhH!!!! [scrm]

(I'm sorry - I just had to get that out of my system. And most of you know why.)

I'd appreciate being clued in!  [ghost_grin]
I thought that was what I had read at one point.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »
I'd appreciate being clued in!  [ghost_grin]

Hopefully you won't mind being directed to a recent post that directs you to yet another topic:
I'll just quote one of MB's posts:  (yes, he's intentionally yelling)

DC DID NOT PRESERVE THE DS MASTER TAPES - ABC DID

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »
Aha! I didn't know that. And I wonder why ABC wanted to preserve the master tapes?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
They had set up a syndication deal that would have had them in re-runs very shortly after the series ended.... For a number of reasons, this didn't happen for a few years, but that's your primary reason...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
You can be an ornery critter at times. [ghost_rolleyes]

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
You can be an ornery critter at times. [ghost_rolleyes]

[ghost_tongue2]  But seriously - how many topics on the forum have discussed the subject already? I strongly suspect that a search would show they're well into the double digits.  [ghost_wink]

MirandaD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
The original moon landing is embedded into my brain forever - it's left an indelible impression.  I was 12 years old at the time and I thought it was the most exciting real life event EVER.  It's shocking and unbelievable to me that no master tape of this historic event was ever made!  [ghost_shocked]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
Darren, I always learn something new from your posts. [ghost_smiley]

nancy

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »
Well, I've always held that it was Dan Curtis himself who made the initial decision to preserve the tapes, and now I have scholarly proof: in his new book on DC, Jeff Thompson clearly states it was Curtis' idea, owing to Curtis' career background in syndication sales before he became a producer.  He foresaw the viability of DS in possible future syndication- a market he knew all about.  So there.  Besides, he wasn't the only TV visionary who was smart enough to demand that their work be preserved by the network:  Jackie Gleason, Milton Berle, and Sid Caesar each demanded that kinescopes be made of everything they did, and as the Gleason example famously shows with the Honeymooners 'lost episodes' , it proved to be most profitable.  Let's face it: Curtis was determined to get a profit out of DS, and he did!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »
No offense to Jeff Thompson, but Curtis never owned the DS master tapes. ABC did and they were always in ABC's or Worldvision's (ABC's syndication wing) possession. Curtis tried to sue ABC to prove he owned them and to get possession of them, but he lost. That whole suit is what led to DS not being syndicated until 1975. Anyone need look no further than back issues of Variety from the '70s to read all the details.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 12:57:29 AM »
Hey, maybe NASA took all those original videotapes of the moonlanding and gave them to ABC just to clean house and ABC ended up taping DS over them!

Anyway, it was shocking, especially to me as a "trained" historian, to discover NASA was so cavalier in dealing with the original tapes, but then again, as a trained historian, I see this as nothing new.  To this day it is incredible to see how historical preservation of "stuff" has been considered so unimportant.  Not to offend anyone here who is more in the math-and-science field, but it just grates me that emphasis has always been placed on those topics and keeping records for all posterity is viewed as nothing.  That's how NASA saw it back then.  What was valuable was getting the men to the moon; keeping the documentation was only a space-waster.  Forty years now it realizes its mistake.  But it still goes on.  When I lived in other communities across the country I worked as an archivist, creating archives and cataloguing material.  Back now in my home town, there are two major national businesses here, one creating and constructing a certain thing I have a huge interest in.  One of the part-time workers there told me how all the documents, designs, etc., have just been shoved into acidic boxes and dumped in little utilized corridors, rooms and so-forth.  I approached that business with my resume and pressing the need for preservation (emphasizing how important this would be for the company's own research) and all the big-wigs could do was look at me with baffled, glazed-over eyes and say:  "Huh?"  One of the major CEO's had no concept of what I was talking about and said all that "junk" would just end up in the dump; he saw no need to preserve any of it.  

Thank goodness ABC had the sense to preserve DS (more sense than NASA).  It's a shame, to this day, so few have that same forsight.

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:01:01 AM »
No offense to Jeff Thompson, but Curtis never owned the DS master tapes. ABC did and they were always in ABC's or Worldvision's (ABC's syndication wing) possession. Curtis tried to sue ABC to prove he owned them and to get possession of them, but he lost. That whole suit is what led to DS not being syndicated until 1975. Anyone need look no further than back issues of Variety from the '70s to read all the details.

Now that you mention that, I do remember seeing articles in someone's scrapbook about all that.  I don't remember whose scrapbook it was.

nancy

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 03:17:17 AM »
I always thought DC owned the master tapes too and also remember reading that he owned the show and was the 1 to keep it preserved. i think i read it in famous monsters magazine. anyway if abc owned it why didnt the episodes say at the end of each episode, "AN ABC TV PRODUCTION"? the episodes always said "A DAN CURTIS PRODUCTION"