Author Topic: off-beat question re: DS  (Read 1152 times)

John Hunter

off-beat question re: DS
« on: July 11, 2002, 10:27:36 PM »
I have a rather unusual question regarding the source of the gorgeous Victorian antiques used on the series.

Even as a child, one of those many kids who ran home from the school bus every day to see Dark Shadows, I was mesmerized by the beautiful antique furnishings on the show and have long been curious about them...

They appear to be authentic pieces of antique Victorian furniture and accessories...

Does anyone know where they came from?

I've been researching various FAQ's on the series all day and have so far found no mention of the antiques..  

many thanks in advance for any information on this
much love to you all
John
long-time Dark Shadows fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: off-beat question DS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 12:29:54 AM »
Does anyone know where they came from?

I've been researching various FAQ's on the series all day and have so far found no mention of the antiques..  

Hey there!  Another furniture junkie :)  There have been a couple of discussions  about the furniture on various listservs in the past--at least, I've participated in some of them.

IIRC, the most authoritative answer came from someone who knew some production people and said that the furniture came from a variety of sources.  Probably some thrift store pieces, reproductions, stuff from the studio, etc.  I'm not a 100% on this, but I don't think Victoriana was "in" when DS was being made, so I imagine it may have been more readily available.   I also recall hearing that occasionally the production people discovered that the pieces that they were using were actual antiques.  Don't know if that helps you or not . . .

What I want to know about are those lamps.  Another reason for me to get a DVD player--to see the set details!

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

John Hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 03:03:16 AM »
Yes, thank you! That satisfied my curiosity quite well (:

That's fascinating, that they were using some actual antiques and didn't even realize it! ha!

As a kid, DS and The Addams Family were the beginning of a life-long love of Victorian antiques for me...

I think you're correct in regard to Victoriana not being "in" at that time, because I remember my mom hating it...she said it was "too gaudy"

I drug that poor woman to innumerable antique shows and through every antique shop in the city, looking for pieces of furniture that she hated! lol!

I wanted my bedroom decorated just like Collinwood...

She thought I was stark raving mad...

(;

thank you very much for answering this question for me!
hope you're having a marvelous day
much love!
John

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 03:38:55 AM »

Hey there!  Another furniture junkie :)

I'm one too. I love those lamps and I loved that love seat they had in the Collinwood drawing room in 1897 - it had opposite facing seats - remember?

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 04:53:01 AM »

I'm one too. I love those lamps and I loved that love seat they had in the Collinwood drawing room in 1897 - it had opposite facing seats - remember?

Yep, I think it's called a "tete a tete" chair (there should be accent marks in there, but I can't figure out how to do them here).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 04:59:36 AM »
That's fascinating, that they were using some actual antiques and didn't even realize it! ha!

Hi there John,  :)

I've been corresponding with a fellow on the East Coast who has two warehouses of "props," on each coast. The most recent thing he emailed me was about a small, semi circular table that was on the DS set, that he believed was antique. He is supposed to send me a photo of it soon.

Personally, I'm looking for some of those candlesticks and/or sconces, I'd LOVE to get my hands one one! ;-)

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 06:04:22 AM »
:DAll of your posts about the furnishings on the DS set are fascinating to me. For years I've thought about that wonderful Grandfather clock. the bedroom furniture, and the round seat found in the 1895 (I believe) segment. I even furnished one of my bedrooms in antiques from the 1800's that nobody else in the family wanted. There is an afghan in Vickie's room that is almost identical to one my grandmother made. (I was able to acquire it.) My "Dark Shadows room " today is the most popular room for any overnight guests I may have!!
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

John Hunter

Re: the S-shaped chair!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2002, 06:31:43 AM »
They had one of those on The Addams Family, too...

I asked my grandmother about that when I was a kid and she told me they were called "courting couches" or something like that...

The idea was to allow a young, courting couple to face each other just enough so they could kiss, but not enough to actually let them get their hands on each other!

lol!

much love to all
John

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2002, 08:44:38 PM »
There is at least one episode where a scene begins with a tight close up of the scene painted above the face of the grandfather clock.  Then the camera slowly pulls away and you get to study all the details. I think it is from the 1840 storyline (towards the end of the show--late 1970?).  I thought it was really cool when I saw it.

Fascinating that someone has a warehouse containing some of the props used on DS.  I heard some years ago that some of the flats (from the sets) turned up in the theatre program of a school on Long Island.  I wonder about this because another friend noted how panels from the old DS sets showed up on One Life to Live and other ABC soaps.  It makes me wonder whether Sy Tomashoff, or the network itself, held onto the sets after the show ceased production.

Steve

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2002, 10:56:27 PM »
There is at least one episode where a scene begins with a tight close up of the scene painted above the face of the grandfather clock.  Then the camera slowly pulls away and you get to study all the details. I think it is from the 1840 storyline (towards the end of the show--late 1970?).  I thought it was really cool when I saw it.

I don't have a DVD player.  Had no interest in getting one (and probably won't) until they produce ones at affordable prices where you can record, but when I was visiting some friends, someone had brought the DS DVD.

It's amazing.  You can practically see the sweat on the actor's faces--imagine what you can see of the furniture!!! (okay, yes, I'm weird, I know).

Luciaphil