Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0773  (Read 2630 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0773
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0773
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:14:49 AM »
It was interesting to see Evan in Nicholas' old House by the sea, even though, it looks a whole lot different on the inside. I guess that after the horrid Trask family had their school there, it need extensive renovations.   
I had to laugh over Charity's claim that father didn't like favoritism.  Maybe in others, but he sure showed it to the wealthy and to his good friend Dorcas and wanted to show more to Rachel. 
Now if I were entering some deserted cellar, I'm not sure I'd stay if I saw a coffin and I doubt I'd open it.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
Ding dong the witch is dead.  If it weren’t for Tim being programmed, I’d wonder whether they were trying to bring to mind The Little Foxes. I’m thinking of the famous scene where Regina’s husband has the heart attack and asks her for his pills, and she just stands there, emotionless,  as he tries desperately to reach them and dies in the effort. 

Nice effect on the fade out, going from Minerva’s teacup on the table to the teacup in Charity’s hand.  Yet one more indication of the phoniness of the school.  Rachel being castigated by Charity for failing two “highly recommended” (probably meaning wealthy) students for nothing more than not doing any work.

Ooops not dead yet after all.   [5363]  She is taking forever to die.  Ok, now she IS really most sincerely dead.  Just stayed alive long enough to call Tim a murderer. Wonder how Evan knew when to show up.  There was no guarantee, after all, when Minerva would play the right card with Tim there.  Ooh that’s evil.  It could have been brushed off as a heart attack or any other natural death of a middle aged woman in those days, but Trask and Hanley have it set up so Tim takes the fall for something he remembers nothing of.

Oh LMAO when Hanley told Charity she told him her father had gone into Collinsport, I flashed back to Lydia’s comment about Edward and the brothel…..  Guess it’s a real busy place what with all those outwardly respectable Victorian men….. [naughty]

Snicker now we see the OTHER afghan on Rachel’s bed.  There’s some amusement there, one for Rachel, one for Tim.

Hmm storm cellar in an abandoned farmhouse.  Tim sneaks in , and sees nothing amiss at finding a convenient candle and match?  Well, we know for sure who’s it’s NOT (the efficient werewolf hiders) – and the coffin now gives away who IS there.  Tim and Rachel both think alike –who else would stick around and actually OPEN a coffin in a spooky old abandoned building.
 [90d1]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:09 AM »
It was interesting to see Evan in Nicholas' old House by the sea, even though, it looks a whole lot different on the inside.

Do we know that?  I thought Evan lived in town someplace.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. The house at Peabody's Farm in which Tim took refuge was also called Seaview.  Seaview was the house that, in 1967, Burke bought from Elizabeth because Vicki loved it so much. (I got this from Pansyfaye on the Dark Shadows Festival website Daily Trivia page, so I'm assuming that it's correct. Was it also Nicholas's house?)
2. Minerva died! Before she died, she called Tim a "murderer".
3. While being hypnotized by Evan, Tim tore up the Queen of Spades, thereby releasing him from the spell and making him forget everything that happened.
4. Tim found, and foolishly opened, Dirk's coffin in the cellar at Peabody's Farm House.

That was an exciting fight scene between Evan and Tim! I was surprised and didn't like it when Evan blamed Tim for Minerva's death. Couldn't they have made it look like she had a heart attack?  [ghost_undecided]

Evan was pretty threatening and abusive with Rachel. I'm glad that Tim crawled out of Rachel's window. It's sweet how Rachel was helping Tim. [love3]

I sure am missing Quentin. [cryg] He hasn't been on since Episode #768 - 5 episodes ago!  He'll be back in Episode #779 - another 6 episodes after this one! I guess David Selby wanted to take a two week break. [ghost_rolleyes]

Ooh! They played the echo "Bum... Bum... Bummmm" music at the end again! Then, there were no credits - just the Dan Curtis Productions screen. I love it when they do that! [cheer]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:23:51 AM »
Ooh! They played the echo "Bum... Bum... Bummmm" music at the end again!

I want that music to play in my apartment every time I run out of milk for my creal, or the toilet overflows by accident!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
LOL, Magnus!   [rofl10]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »
In the 60s I had a friend who caught an ep of DS with me and all he took away from that experience was the, "bum! Bum! BUM!". He thought it was hysterical and imitated it (with his exaggerated take on it) for days.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
Ha ha, this time we see Tim fill her cup with water instead of tea.  There were 2 pots, and in the previous ep he chose the one that actually poured tea.  When Minerva needed hot water to dilute her cuppa, she used the same pot containing water.

For Sally, who seems to be cataloging bloopers, Evan called Rachel "Miss Shaw" before correcting himself.  (It's something I do ALL the time.  I even get my dog's and kids' names mixed up.)

1. The house at Peabody's Farm in which Tim took refuge was also called Seaview.  Seaview was the house that, in 1967, Burke bought from Elizabeth because Vicki loved it so much. (I got this from Pansyfaye on the Dark Shadows Festival website Daily Trivia page, so I'm assuming that it's correct. Was it also Nicholas's house?)

Did the Festival site actually say all that?  We saw Seaview-- Vicki's ideal love nest, and it was a large two-story house (Barnabas explored the upper floor and returned with a handkerchief), with nothing mentioned about it having been a farm house.  The picture of the Peabody Farm house is of a small, one-story mess.  Also, a clause in the deed for Seaview dated back to around 1872 and stated that it had to remain in Collins hands for 100 years, which is why Burke did NOT buy it.  OTOH, the Peabody house (where's Sherman? [winkb]) was said to be near the Collins estate, but unless something is said in a later ep, I haven't heard anyone mention that it's actually a part of the family estate.

And no, it won't become Nicholas' house.  Again, the exteriors are nothing alike.

And speaking of Nick's house...
It was interesting to see Evan in Nicholas' old House by the sea, even though, it looks a whole lot different on the inside.
Do we know that?  I thought Evan lived in town someplace.

I don't think we can know that for sure.  I'm assuming that alwaysdavid is referring to the new school being called "a house by the sea," but it seemed to be a common name used on DS.  Even Collinwood has been called that at one time or another.  Seaview, mentioned above, was also called the house by the sea.  If reused sets are any indication, an area in the new Trask school does match the interior of Seaview.  So I think it's more likely that the new school is Seaview, but that's not a surety either.  Magnus, what we know about Nicholas' house is that it belonged to the Collinses, it was isolated, and there were woods between it and town.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
Thanks Midnite.... it's sometimes nice to know I haven't been missing vast amounts of information, after all.

In the 60s I had a friend who caught an ep of DS with me and all he took away from that experience was the, "bum! Bum! BUM!". He thought it was hysterical and imitated it (with his exaggerated take on it) for days.

Well, now I'm going to be doing that in my head after things for days!   

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
For Sally, who seems to be cataloging bloopers, Evan called Rachel "Miss Shaw" before correcting himself.
Oops! I missed that one, Midnite. [6184]

Did the Festival site actually say all that?  We saw Seaview-- Vicki's ideal love nest, and it was a large two-story house (Barnabas explored the upper floor and returned with a handkerchief), with nothing mentioned about it having been a farm house.  The picture of the Peabody Farm house is of a small, one-story mess.  Also, a clause in the deed for Seaview dated back to around 1872 and stated that it had to remain in Collins hands for 100 years, which is why Burke did NOT buy it.  OTOH, the Peabody house was said to be near the Collins estate, but unless something is said in a later ep, I haven't heard anyone mention that it's actually a part of the family estate.

I respectfully submit to you, Midnite, that you were wrong. [ghost_shocked] [milestone] Burke did buy Seaview from Elizabeth. Here's the proof in episode #301:

Liz asks Burke into the drawing room, and Vicki retires for the night. Liz tells Burke she will sell Seaview to him, and he's delighted. They toast Burke's happiness.

Vicki, unable to sleep, goes into the drawing room to talk to Liz--she's got a lot to think about. Liz informs Vicki that she's selling Seaview to Burke, and Vicki is as elated as Devlin was. You've changed Burke, says Liz approvingly, he's got a newfound stability.

I copy and save the Dark Shadows Festival website Daily Trivia page every day in several binders. (One binder isn't enough!)  [ghost_nowink] That's what the trivia page for Episode #773 (this episode) says. However, I suppose Pansyfaye could have been wrong about that bit of trivia. From what you said, it doesn't sound like the Peabody Farm House is the same house as Seaview. I always assumed that Pansyfaye's trivia was accurate, though.  [ghost_rolleyes]

And no, it won't become Nicholas' house. Again, the exteriors are nothing alike.
I didn't think it was Nicholas's house. I actually got confused by the previous replies in this topic. There was mention of Evan's house being the same as Nicholas's house, and I got Evan's house mixed up with the Peabody farm house. Sorry about that.  [ghost_embarrassed]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
Burke did buy Seaview from Elizabeth. Here's the proof in episode #301:

Later--
335 - ...
Liz delivers bad news to Burke--he can't buy the House by the Sea.
Odd old Caleb Sayers Collins, who disliked strangers, didn't want the house to go to anyone but a Collins for 100 years,
and that won't be for another five. Liz promises to give it to them as a wedding present in five years, but Burke is still clearly disappointed because he knows how badly Vicki wanted the house.
As you know, [spoiler]Burke wasn't around in 5 years and there was no need for a wedding gift.[/spoiler]

You don't have to take PansyFaye's or my word for it.  A pic of Seaview is shown in ep #294 that can be compared to the one of the Peabody house in #773 & #774.

No need to apologize about Nicholas' house.  It IS confusing.

But lol, a milestone... really??!!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
Well, I guess I'd better take away that milestone, Midnite. You were right, after all... I forgot about what happened in Episode #335. I guess I can't stump you! [ghost_rolleyes]

I just compared the pics of Seaview in episode #294 and the Peabody house in #773 & #774. It's hard for me to tell whether it's the same house or not.  [ghost_undecided] The Seaview pic is in the daytime, and the Peabody house pic is at night. They could have been different sides of the house, but it seems like they were different houses - the Peabody house looks smaller. I guess the jury may be out on that one. Pansyfaye may or may not be wrong... If she's wrong, it certainly is a milestone, though. [milestone]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »
1.  You apparently haven't checked out the DS Program Guide.

2.  Making a mistake doesn't bother me and it happens quite often.  I learn from others here just like everyone else and enjoy a good debate.  But the milestone smiley when someone is right or wrong-- it's a little disconcerting and does nothing to enhance discussion or participation, so please don't use it that way anymore.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:05:33 AM »
1. Unfortunately, I don't have the DS Program Guide. Too bad.  [ghost_rolleyes]

2. I'm sorry if I offended you with that milestone smiley. But notice these posts:

I was right! [ideag]

[milestone]

(Just teasing, of course)

I figured if dom could do it, I could do it.  [ghost_undecided] But he did say he was only teasing, which I did not do with you, so I guess I didn't do it the same way. I see your point, Midnite, and I will refrain from using a milestone smiley in that manner. [ghost_nowink] I guess I'm just milestone happy! [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]