Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0767  (Read 4915 times)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0767
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 11:01:20 PM »
Yes! if I wouldn't have left out portrait, It might have been more clearer but if one can't say the lines, "I don't understand" then it wouldn't be Dark Shadows would it?  Anyway, I tend to notice these things such as unexplained absences of furniture which seem to regularly occur. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 02:39:58 AM »
Gotcha.  You meant that Barnabas' portrait should have replaced Josette's since it was 1969.  No "portrait" and also the word "restage" confused me.  Thanks!  [smlyb]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »
I was right! [ideag]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:21 AM »

[milestone]

(Just teasing, of course)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »
LOL, dom!  [rofl10] [laughing1]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »
What I don't like about this dream is Nancy Barrett's high-pitched puppet voice.  Even my dog reacted when the puppet started singing "Happy Birthday."
I was amazed at how solidly she hit the high note in "Happy Birthday".

Nice acting by David Selby in the dream; Quentin was much more isolated and apart emotionally than he was in 1897.

I did my best to get a good look at Roger's face, because Edward's face seems as though all the features are squashed together in the middle of the face.  It didn't seem that way with Roger.  Louis Edmonds's nose seemed much longer, thinner, and haughtier on Roger than it does on Edward.

As for where the dream came from, I think it was the I Ching helping Barnabas out, in the same way that I believe the I Ching helped him previously by giving Magda the vision in the crystal ball that caused her to send Sandor to the mausoleum at the beginning of Barnabas's visit to 1897.  (I think I've mentioned before that I think the I Ching had a soft spot for Barnabas, and a good thing, too; he would never have made it through 1897 on his own.)  The dream clearly was not a representation of an actual event in 1969, because, as others have noted, the people in the dream (including Quentin's ghost) weren't really like the 1969 characters.  Also, as alwaysdavid noted, Josette's portrait was in the wrong place.  I think, however, that I saw in the dream drawing room a piece of furniture that (significantly, as it turns out - was the I Ching providing a helpful reminder?) is not in the Old House drawing room in 1897.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
The I Ching helping Barnabas is an interesting concept.  Too bad the writers hadn't thought of it and had a scene at the beginning with Pr Stokes saying something to that effect.  It would make much more sense out of the Welles dreams.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 02:23:55 AM »
If we had a sense of a kindly helpful presence from the I Ching hovering over Barnabas, it might interfere with that wonderful sense of gloom in 1897...

[bonny_hand] [bonny_hand] [bonny_hand]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:20 AM »
This has to be one of the best episodes of Dark Shadows ever.  The dream is so surreal, so creepy and almost kafka-esque in its cutting tone towards poor David.  Nancy Barret does insanity so well.  And I think this (as opposed to later attempts to use the same trick in 1970/1840) framing device for 1897 of the three clues is just perfect in setting the tone for the grand drama of Quentin's life while it's still interesting.  This should have been in that set of the 'fan favorites...' because even if you don't know what's going on, it is so well written as to be fascinating. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
The concept of I-Ching as deus ex machina is a very interesting idea. The dream sequence itself is one of the best DS moments ever. It captures the fluid, almost surreal tone of an an actual dream. And Nancy Barrett actually makes that hand puppet and "Happy Birthday" seem sinister.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
Personally, I think that Jamison's experiences with his mother awakened a dormant clairvoyance inside him, and his out-of-control psychic abilities created a connection with David, and then produced the dream.  The I-ching is not a concious being and certainly doesn't care about people.  But Jamison went through a traumatic supernatural experience that may have changed him. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Personally, I think that Jamison's experiences with his mother awakened a dormant clairvoyance inside him, and his out-of-control psychic abilities created a connection with David, and then produced the dream.  The I-ching is not a concious being and certainly doesn't care about people.  But Jamison went through a traumatic supernatural experience that may have changed him.

Factor in the fact that Jamison and David have the same mother...!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:57 AM »

Factor in the fact that Jamison and David have the same mother...!

Yes, exactly!  Both are children of the phoenix, and Jamison had just seen his mother burn like David once did.