Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0771  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0771
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:24 AM »
I have seen Buffy say "OH MY GOD" and The Charmed Ones say "Oh MY God" and the latter is Wicca.  And on Buffy, the jury is still out of if there is a God according to her. And on Charmed there was no GOD above gods! So I think it's quiet normal and a natural reflex!!  I am not trying to get on another topic just wanted to point out that I have seen other "somewhat" supernatural creatures say "God's" name.  I think Spike and Angel have even used the line.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. This was the first appearance of the original Pansy Faye! Ooh! I love the debut of Pansy Faye! [cheer]
2. This was the first time we heard "I'm Gonna Dance for you" - sung by Pansy Faye - and it certainly wouldn't be the last! [smile_groan]
3. Barnabas said, "Oh, my God!" That doesn't happen very often!
4. Carl told Judith he hadn't played a practical joke in over 48 hours.
5. We found out that, previously, Carl brought back another "tart" (Judith's word), from Albany. So it seems that Carl had a history of falling for such women.  [ghost_wink]
6. Pansy correctly was able to determine that Dirk was dead, and the murderer (Barnabas) was in the room. Carl said it was the first time she passed out while using her mentalist powers. [faint2]

I love, love, love Pansy’s dress!
I love Pansy's dress, too!

Those scenes were really funny when Carl and Pansy showed up at Collinwood just when Barnabas and Beth were going to search for Dirk. The looks on Barnabas and Beth's faces when Pansy sang that song! Judith's reaction when she watched Pansy's mentalist performance was quite amusing, too. They certainly weren't a very good audience - Carl's exuberant applause more than made up for it, though. I just love that song! [ghost_grin]

I was amused to hear Beth say she worked in the "big house". Made it sound like Collinwood was a prison - something James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, and/or Edward G. Robinson would have said in those old gangster movies! Then Pansy said, "How big is it?" and Beth said, "Very big." Also, when Pansy told Beth she doesn't touch coffee and she gulped down that sherry like it was water! Hilarious!  [stfl]

It always amazes me when I am reminded each time I watch this that the original Pansy Faye was only alive for one episode! It seems longer.  [ghost_rolleyes] [spoiler]That's because Charity was possessed by Pansy later on, so Pansy was a very big part of the 1897 storyline.[/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:22 PM »
As for "My God!", I'm sure you could not have gotten Nicholas to say that, ever.   Even when he's pretending to be pure as snow, he won't say anything pro-God or pro-Christianity.   At one point in explaining some piece of artwork or something he almost says "Christ" or "Savior" or "God", then catches himself and precedes it with "your"!   He's rather risk giving himself away than say anything Satan wouldn't like...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:35 AM »
Very true! Good post! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »
He does that a handful of times, and it always seems 'wrong' somehow, how I'm not sure...  In DS theology, someone can be cursed, which seemingly includes being cursed in relation to God, being denied any favor from Him, being denied Heaven, yet the curse is made by an evil character with no input or approval from God.   That just adds to the tragedy of course.

I could be very mistaken, but I think Barnabas had been cured during the times he said it before this.  Because the curse had been drained from him by Adam, that seems to make a difference, and what you say here goes a long way in explaining it.

I think it's a big oversight on the writers' part that he says "Oh my God" again in 1897 not long after [spoiler]he committed murder.[/spoiler]

I guess it's debatable if his saying the name of God (or Lord; same thing) later in the series after [spoiler]he's been re-cursed[/spoiler]feels wrong or not since some fans feel he has done much to redeem himself by that point.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 05:30:43 AM »
Great thread within a thread about the cursed ones speaking the name of God.

My take on it is that there would be a difference between someone SEEKING out the supernatural powers and choosing to worship the Dark powers through their own free will, and someone who became a supernatural creature due to circumstances they didn't seek out.

For that reason, I don't see a problem with Barnabas referring to God. (Though there might be an issue of him not being ABLE to say it, in the same way that he can't face a cross.) We get some inferences to him playing with things supernatural, but we never see or hear that he was as involved in it as we see Quentin is.  Now, I could see HIM having a problem, depending on whether he was deep enough into the Dark Arts to have been required to reject God.

With him, it's a different set of circumstances.  He was involved heavily with the Dark arts; whether it ever approached the depth of having to renounce God and worship the Devil, we can't tell from what we're shown. I'm inclined to think not, from the way he refers to how he got involved with the supernatural (curiousity and boredom). He invokes other Gods from other cultures, which don't guarantee a renouncement of the Judeo-Christian God.  Interesting thing with him though, is that once he becomes cursed, he invokes the name of God on a number of occasions.  Even if you chalk it up to the change in attitudes, we have a cursed being who asks for God's intercession.  Specific case I'm thinking of is [spoiler]when they thought that Jamison was dying, and he was sitting with him; going by memory I believe he was pleading with  God to spare the boy.[/spoiler]

LOL on Big House, Sally.  However, I've also seen it used a lot (can't think of any sources right now, and with my reading, it could be anything from biography, historical novel, history or even Gone With the Wind for all I know), for the main house on a large property with multiple buildings.  That would certainly fit with Collinwood.

Must have missed the question and answer about Chavez earlier. Thanks, Midnite -- I'd never known it was Portuguese as well as Spanish.  Still a bit of a puzzling choice, since it would seem the actress was cast before we had a name for the character mentioned on screen (one would assume until it was on film, it could change.  Even being on screen didn't help them sometimes: note Oscar and Edward).  A tall blonde, nordic looking actress, with a character name that goes back to countries where blondes are very rare -- you'd think they'd have given her a name that sounded Norwegian, German or Danish.  Though Portuguese, with the immigrant connection with fishing,  fits in with Collinsport being a fishing town.

Midnite: Another post I missed was yours about locking up the wolf that opens doors like a man.  Where to lock him up?  Well, what was in the back of my mind was the kind of outbuildings we have on the Colonial era plantations around here.  Root cellar type places, icehouses -- they lock from the outside, and tend to be made of stone in the Northeast.  Just an idea, but you'd think they'd have at least checked out that kind of building to see if it would work.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
Great thread within a thread about the cursed ones speaking the name of God.

My take on it is that there would be a difference between someone SEEKING out the supernatural powers and choosing to worship the Dark powers through their own free will, and someone who became a supernatural creature due to circumstances they didn't seek out.

Jeannie

My point was that that difference matters very little to the cursed being who has had the door between himself and God shut in his face, and that presumably includes any afterlife such as Heaven.   Either Barnabas never gets there because he just never stops walking the earth as a vampire, or because he's "cursed" (and the acts he commits while cursed).... and the fact that it's none of God's doing would make Barnabas more bitter, not less.   

A witch can come along, curse an innocent like Barnabas, and since God rebuffs cursed beings (by definition), for eternity I suppose unless the curse is lifted, this means someone like Ang can do this without any divine objections or interference.    For someone like Barnabas, this would go well beyond just feeling rejected.   

Of course since Barnabas hopes to go back to 1969 and be well again, he might not feel all that doomed or cursed in 1897.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »
Pansy is a wonderful character, in both timing and execution.  What a shame that she died before she saw the great big house - before she knew that she really had hit the jackpot with Carl.  If they got rid of the Albany tart (and thank you all for clarifying "tart"; all I could hear was "torch"), then probably they could get rid of the New Jersey tart - but we don't know how much Grandmama had to do with Miss Albany's exit, so we can't be sure.  I figure somewhere along the line Carl was bound to succeed in marrying one of his unsuitable lady friends, and maybe it would have been Pansy, and maybe not.  Once Judith finds out that Dirk is responsible for Pansy's death, I hope she'll thank him, and maybe even concede that she was wrong to fire him.

I buy interesting tins - it's not something I mean to do, but I have trouble resisting them, and then they're the wrong size to be useful - so I covet the salt water taffy tin.  Ah, the good old days, when things came in tins instead of cardboard boxes.  I'm surprised, however, that Carl didn't notice that the tin was empty when he handed it to Barnabas.  There should have been quite a difference in weight between an empty box and a full box - but maybe he was too excited about Pansy to notice.  And Barnabas would have been too polite to say a word.  I wish the box hadn't been empty.  I was dying too see Barnabas chewing salt water taffy.

Early in the episode, Barnabas told Beth not to go back to Collinwood because of the danger from Dirk, but later on he was, I assume, so rattled by Pansy that he told Beth to go back, with no thought of the danger.  Dirk didn't attack Beth - but wouldn't it have been interesting if he had!  We would have seen Beth trying to obey two vampires - probably giving preference to the one that bit her most recently - while still trying to help Quentin.  Probably she would have been doing a lot of crying, too.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:32 AM »
Dirk didn't attack Beth - but wouldn't it have been interesting if he had!  We would have seen Beth trying to obey two vampires - probably giving preference to the one that bit her most recently - while still trying to help Quentin.  Probably she would have been doing a lot of crying, too.

OOH what an idea for fanfiction. Anyone game?  Course it would also work as a comedy.....

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics