Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0771  (Read 3341 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0771
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0771
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:54:27 AM »
VO: Joan Bennett
Recap-Again!  I have to comment on the vivacity of the “color” in 1897!  LOVES IT! 

I guess B can't sense other vampires or smell them?  I guess that is not part of the DS lore.

Oh lawd!! Carl!  Pansy Faye—YAY!  Although, [spoiler]I cannot wait for her other incarnation![/spoiler]  And she sings one of my favorite DS pieces!  Although, [spoiler]I love the version best that David (of course) and Nancy sing![/spoiler]

Does anyone know what “CHAEZ” is as far as Germany, Scottish, etc!??

I love that couch that Carl and Judith are on.  Does anyone know what kind of couch that is called? 

I love, love, love Pansy’s dress!  I love when Joan B deadpans, “I’m sure you do!”  HEH!! 

This episode is very quickly paced with a fantabulous ending!

I noticed on Robservations she poised the question "will Pansy become a vampire?"   A vampire with mentalist powers.  I know one--DRUSILLA!!  LOVE HER!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:47:42 PM »
I guess I missed where Carl went off to Atlantic City, but he returns and now Barnabas is his trusted friend also and he trusts him well enough to shelter his girlfriend.  Then he asks him to be his best man.
Pansy was great fun.  Barnabas offers coffee, but she wnats booze and she really slugs it down.  Apparently Carl has a habit of meeting unsuitable women and bringing them home even though he tells Barnabas  he never thought he'd find someone.   Joan was good when she talked about, "the tart you met in Albany last year."   
When she announced that the murderer was in the room, it made me wonder, will anyone remember this when they find out that Dirk is on of the living dead?    What a dramatic ending when  Barnabas finds Pansy dead from Dirk in his drawing room at the Old House.   I  well remember Pansy from the original run of the show.  I was surprised she only lasted one episode because I remember all the neighborhood girls fighting over who got to play her.   [spoiler]I guess because she returns later in a slightly different form [/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:56:13 AM »
Then he asks him to be his best man.

And Carl gives Barnabas SALT WATER TAFFY! (well, tries to anyway, if the Misses didn't have the sweet tooth..Or I wouldn't put it pass someone to sell poor Carl an empty box.) I mean, how nice is that? [spoiler]And then look what happens to him.. [/spoiler]

Barnabas offers coffee, but she wnats booze and she really slugs it down.
Pansy would have fit RIGHT IN with the Collinses..

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
Why didn't Pansy Faye [spoiler]become a vampire?   Or did she, but underground since Barnabas buries her?  Is there some tradition that vampires are dispensed with and "dead" after burial?[/spoiler]

The last thing I was expecting (seeing this in 2002) in the middle of this deadly serious storyline where everything's falling apart and people are dying left and right was for Carl to walk in with salt water taffy and a music hall trollop!   Great moment.   Barnabas and Beth, vampire and vampire victim, looking at each other as if to say. "Do you see them too?   I'm not imagining this?"   

If I ever die and become a vampire then get better then go back in time and try to create a vampire to take the heat off of me for being a vampire then find he's already died and I and my victim have to go searching the grounds for him 'cause he died too early, the one thing that could put a crimp in all that is for a dweeb and his feather boa mentalist to turn up and invite me to their wedding.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »
I think Barnabas has the power to make one a vampire or just let them die.  Whatever he may choose! I think he said in the episode before that he drained too much blood from Dirk or something causing him to turn.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »
Why didn't Pansy Faye [spoiler]become a vampire?   Or did she, but underground since Barnabas buries her?  Is there some tradition that vampires are dispensed with and "dead" after burial?[/spoiler]

In the next episode's recap of this one's ending, (I don't need spoiler tags around that, do I?) they add [spoiler]the all mighty rope around Pansy's neck, suggesting Dirk had enough sense &/or instinct to kill her before she died as a result of the blood loss & became a vampire.[/spoiler] (or as far as my understanding for the rules of Dark Shadows vampires goes)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »
In the next episode's recap of this one's ending, (I don't need spoiler tags around that, do I?)
[ghost_grin] (Yes. [ghost_wink])

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01:27 PM »
Live & learn.. [ghost_blink] (thank you for editing!)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:57:17 AM »
Oopsie, Barnabas miscalculates again.  Dirk went and died (but wait, I don’t rmember Barnabas evaporating when he died. Did I forget something?) [ghost_blink]

NOW Beth talks about all the places there are to hide on the estate.  And she and Quentin didn’t think of ANY of these to lock wolfie up at the full moon.  (Hey even a throwaway line would have worked.  Now she and Quentin, two particularly bright people, look DUMB.)

And into all the angst and worry bounds CARL in his pseudo Sherlock Holmes greatcoat with a Gladstone bag (looks like the one Quentin tried torun away with earlier).  Typical Carl, telling his story all inside out.

LMAO on Beth and Barnabas’ reactions to Carl’s little surprise.  Love your comments on this, Magnus. And once they’re alone, Beth gets her proof that their first impressions were spot on.  Nicely played, perfectly civil but very icy. Not quite “the cut direct” but close enough.  Kind of wish they’d had a reaction shot of Beth when Pansy downed the wine like it was a shotglass of rotgut whiskey.

Oops JB slips and calls Carl Dirk, then corrects herself like it was the character’s slip.   HA!  Pansy isn’t the first one Carl brought home – there was a tart from Albany last winter.  (I see alwaysdavid picked up on that little discrepancy of Carl's already.)

Interesting reactions Barnabas shows while Pansy is trying to locate Dirk. It’s like he senses something – maybe he can tell somehow that, all appearances to the contrary, she DOES have real psychic ability.

Nice fadeout—made me think of the climax of a Thin Man movie.  “Dirk Wilkins is dead – and his murderer is in THIS ROOM!”
Curious thing I’m noticing about Pansy’s accent.  Never seen Kay Frye in anything else, so I don’t know what her normal voice sounds like, but her accent is really odd.  It’s MOSTLY Cockney – but like in the scene where she asks Barnabas what she did wrong, I’m hearing an undertone of Irish there too.  I like the inference they seem to be making about Pansy.  She says she prefers the singing over the mental act, so I’m thinking she has some real abilities there and the talent scares her.  She’d rather it be a performance beginning to end, but implication is that this isn’t the first time she’s picked up on something real  and it frightened her. [shockeyes]

Pansy in the woods – and you don’t need her abilities to know what happens next.  Cheezy  phony bat and overacting again. Ok, I didn’t recognize this place that Barn took Beth – anyone have an idea why Barn figured it out?
Nice fadeout.  We knew this happened, but the way it was set up for Barn to find out is great.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »
Dirk went and died (but wait, I don’t rmember Barnabas evaporating when he died. Did I forget something?) [ghost_blink]

Thanks, Jeannie.   I don't think Dirk spontaneously disappeared after dying as part of that dying.  I think that once he was a vampire, he needed to get the hell out of there and not be under anyone's control, by disappearing as vampires do, and needed to get hold of a lair and a coffin ASAP.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 02:13:16 AM »
That makes sense, Magnus  Especially since in DS Vampire lore we don't see any vamps around to mentor the newbies on the what you can and can't do now you're a vamp.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »
When Carl announced the world famous mentalist to the room, was anyone expecting Simon Baker?  No?

I'm not sure I'd let Carl drive me anywhere.  Even just to the big house and back.

I wish we could've seen more of Kay Frye.  I wonder if Pansy Faye originally stuck around after Judith made it clear that she was cutting Carl off financially, putting a serious crimp in her retirement plans.  While Carl seemed very taken with her, Pansy seemed a little too impressed with the idea of living in a "castle" to not be a gold digger.  And she already got a taste here of life with Judith the Ice Queen.

I have to comment on the vivacity of the “color” in 1897!  LOVES IT!  

I guess B can't sense other vampires or smell them?  I guess that is not part of the DS lore.
Not even when he's kissing her hand and staring into her blue eyes.  [wink2]  (I think you mean vividness, btw.)

Does anyone know what “CHAEZ” is as far as Germany, Scottish, etc!??
Spanish or Portugeses according to: http://genealogy.about.com/library/surnames/c/bl_name-CHAVEZ.htm

I love that couch that Carl and Judith are on.  Does anyone know what kind of couch that is called?
[ghost_smiley] You can start reading here--
I'm curious as to what that crazy turn-of-the-century piece of furniture is called, the one where three people can sit facing different directions and still talk to each other. ...

If I ever die and become a vampire then get better then go back in time and try to create a vampire to take the heat off of me for being a vampire then find he's already died and I and my victim have to go searching the grounds for him 'cause he died too early, the one thing that could put a crimp in all that is for a dweeb and his feather boa mentalist to turn up and invite me to their wedding.
[lol2]

I think Barnabas has the power to make one a vampire or just let them die.  Whatever he may choose!
Though that wasn't true for[spoiler]Roxanne in 1840.[/spoiler]

NOW Beth talks about all the places there are to hide on the estate.  And she and Quentin didn’t think of ANY of these to lock wolfie up at the full moon.
But what place would HOLD him?  This werewolf seems very adept at opening doors and getting through windows.

Ok, I didn’t recognize this place that Barn took Beth – anyone have an idea why Barn figured it out?
That was the old cemetery.  I guess it fit the bill of "some secret dark womb that will keep [Dirk] safe," not to mention that it was Barn's secret sleeping place and was his choice recently (if you call 70+ years in the future recent) when he needed a place to keep Chris safe during the full moon and beyond.

I was VERY surprised to hear vampire Barnabas say, "Oh my God!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:41:49 AM »
Pansity mentioned not seeing K. Frye in anything else, so in case anyone is interested, here's the bookstore scene from Shamus with Burt Reynolds and I'm certain this is our busty Pansy Faye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7yjKSzGwcw

She doesn't even tell him what her name is before their offscreen booty call.  LOL

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
I was VERY surprised to hear vampire Barnabas say, "Oh my God!"

He does that a handful of times, and it always seems 'wrong' somehow, how I'm not sure...  In DS theology, someone can be cursed, which seemingly includes being cursed in relation to God, being denied any favor from Him, being denied Heaven, yet the curse is made by an evil character with no input or approval from God.   That just adds to the tragedy of course.

You could say it's very big of Barnabas to think of God still, even in an automatic figure of speech, when God is to Barnabas... what?   Irrelevant?  Since He's omipotent, can He be blamed for turning His back on a cursed being?   One who's trying to make amends?

Sorry, I know this kind of thing stirs up hornet's nests, but it's a great big elephant in the living room, and I can only ignore those for so long.