Author Topic: How to Avoid the Dream Curse  (Read 2047 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
How to Avoid the Dream Curse
« on: June 24, 2002, 09:44:51 AM »
It seems that Professor Stokes, Julia, Barnabas, and everybody else involved in the Dream Curse have done all they could think of to escape the dream without success.  However, I can think of a couple of possible solutions that they haven't yet tried.

1: Let Julia sit by Vicki's bed (or whoever happens to be having the dream at that point) and shake her back into consciousness as soon as she enters the rapid eye movement stage.  A person can go without dreaming for a far longer period of time than she or he can go without sleep.  Hence, the potential dreamers could still rest without fear of spreading the curse.

2: Give Barnabas (or any current recipient of the dream) some earplugs (it worked in The Odyssey.)  Angelique's spell states that the dreamer must tell the dream to the next person, but doesn't explicitly require that person to listen.  

How would you have tried to stop the curse?

ProfStokes

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
Re: How to Avoid the Dream Curse
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 06:07:49 PM »

2: Give Barnabas (or any current recipient of the dream) some earplugs (it worked in The Odyssey.)  Angelique's spell states that the dreamer must tell the dream to the next person, but doesn't explicitly require that person to listen.  

ProfStokes

I was thinkin' about that one, and it should work!  Earplugs, white-noise headphones, whatever, it should (maybe) relieve the delerium caused by the dream without actually giving the next person the dream, right?

As for method one... there was an episode of Star Trek about lack of REM sleep driving people out of their minds, so i have some misgivings about that one (not that I'm buying into the medicine on Star Trek or anything).  There's also the strong compulsion to tell the dream, or the dread of not having in (in Carolyn's case).

But hey! I'm all for method 2.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2002, 07:05:13 PM »
If a person is deprived of REM one night, the next night they experience longer periods of REM to make up for the loss.  And wouldn't the curse persist until Vicky finally dreamt it?  In the meantime she would be suffering detrimental mental and physical effects of the lack of REM sleep and disrupted sleep.  So if the dream itself didn't get her, the lack of dreaming would!

As for the earplugs, you know how the "fine print" of these spells work:  the dreamer would have no rest until the recipient actually heard the dream  :)  The best solution is the Hoffman way:  give them a sedative!  ;D
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 07:08:13 PM »
[shadow=red,left,300]Those are good methods, in today's episode Julia mentioned something about a pill to prevent sleeping but that could probably only last for a few days...[/shadow]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 08:32:29 PM »
Another solution is to have the listener get totally sauced to the point where he or she will not remember what has been told to him/her, or will have a distorted memory.  In that case, he would have the dream in which, instead of opening all those doors and finding terrible things, he would be walking around in front of everyone in his underwear.  (Don'tchya just HATE those dreams?)

Anyway, why not have the recipient, when he has the dream, just do what Stokes did?  Don't cooperate.  Leave those doors closed and taunt Angelique.  It worked for Stokes; he even got a kick out of it.

Gerard

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2002, 12:21:34 AM »
It seems that Professor Stokes, Julia, Barnabas, and everybody else involved in the Dream Curse have done all they could think of to escape the dream without success.  However, I can think of a couple of possible solutions that they haven't yet tried.

I would think that either Julia or Stokes could hypnotize the potential dreamer into having a LUCID dream - in other words, make them aware they are dreaming at the time, which would enable them to not only take control of the dream itself but also prevent them from being overly afraid, or even afraid at all. That way when the "beckoner" comes to them, they can simply refuse to follow and carry out the rest of the dream.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 04:47:50 AM »
I think I mentioned this before, but I found myself wondering what would have happened to the dream if someone had taken those candelabra and set the doors on fire  8)

Either that or wearing earplugs when being told the dreams.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline mordecaigrimes

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 05:24:44 AM »
Maybe Julia could hypnotize Vicky into believing she's Josette, and then she'd tell Barnabas the dream in French, and maybe he wouldn't understand a word she said....

.... or maybe she could hypnotize them so they wouldn't remember the dream after having it....

.... or maybe the person telling the dream could use sign language....

....or maybe Barnabas could use Pee Wee Herman's method of not hearing what he doesn't want to hear by putting his fingers in his ears, singing "Connect the dots!  La-La-La-La!"

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2002, 06:30:35 AM »

Maybe a highly narcotic dream suppressant taken with a nightcap would help.  ;)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2002, 06:48:35 AM »

.... or maybe she could hypnotize them so they wouldn't remember the dream after having it....

Hmm I believe after Willie had the dream Julia tried doing that to calm his nerves. It didn't work because the dream was too ingrained into his subconcious.

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2002, 06:51:05 AM »

1: Let Julia sit by Vicki's bed (or whoever happens to be having the dream at that point) and shake her back into consciousness as soon as she enters the rapid eye movement stage.  A person can go without dreaming for a far longer period of time than she or he can go without sleep.  Hence, the potential dreamers could still rest without fear of spreading the curse.

ProfStokes

That's probably the only idea that will work.

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2002, 07:13:47 AM »
kill the person who is supposed to tell it to you :'(... kinda harsh  lol...preferably it would be someone you didnt like anyway  :P

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2002, 08:09:06 AM »
Maybe Julia could hypnotize Vicky into believing she's Josette, and then she'd tell Barnabas the dream in French, and maybe he wouldn't understand a word she said....

LOL!  That sounds as if it just might work...

You mean hypnotize them before they're even told the dream, I presume?

Great ideas all around!

ProfStokes

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2002, 08:34:10 AM »
The best solution is the Hoffman way: give them a sedative!  ;D

It's a proven fact...

Julia knows best! ::) ;)

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2002, 09:08:22 AM »

How would you have tried to stop the curse?

ProfStokes

Hello Professor Stokes,
 I would suggest Julia use her medallion to cause the next dreamer of the curse to forget what ever the dreamer tells them, this way the dreamer is rid of the dream and the curse is cut off at the pass...
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)