Author Topic: Niki Nidiffer  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Niki Nidiffer
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 04:26:11 AM »
There are a number of people who are interrested in reading the Willie stories.

Dark Shadows Fanfiction

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »
Janet I'm so sorry for your loss.  You and Nik were so fun to hang out with the last time I saw you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
Janet, I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »
Please accept my deepest sympathy, JtW.

Offline CallieWL

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Tribute Page
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 12:20:29 AM »
{{{Janet}}}
It's so sad about Nikki.  She was truly a one-of-a-kind person, one of the most generous, kind-hearted people I've ever known.  And her talent as a writer was exceptional.  She had a gift few writers have--the ability to create a character in just a few lines who is instantly understood by the reader.  Her work certaily enriched the KarlenZines. (The Gina Lee series was only a small part of what she published there.  She peopled Collinsport with real, believable people.)   An amazing woman, she will be missed by those of us who knew and loved her.  My heart goes out to you and her family.

—Mary

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
mary - you captured my sentiments perfectly! Beautiful and so true.

Nancy

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 12:46:08 AM »
You have my deepest sympathies, Janet. Please know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »
I will miss Niki  as well.  I first met her in 2001, but didn't really get to know her until I roomed with her and Janet in 2006 at the last Brooklyn DSF.  Even though I hadn't seen her and Janet since then, we all spoke on the phone several times (the last being maybe just over month before) for an hour or more at a time!  When Nik was on the line, she told me about living in her little town, their pets, the local cuisine, and her other interests.  I wish I had a recording of these calls, because it's still very hard to believe that (like another friend of mine who passed away a couple of months ago) I will never get
to speak to her again. 

My impression was that she was very quiet and thoughtful, and that she and Janet were a good match, for all they were so different.  She would speak at length and with an amiable wit on the phone.  Niki and Janet were on their way to convincing me to visit down their way at some time in the near future.  Fate had other plans, unfortunately. 

I will also miss new works from her--- insofar as DS fan-fiction goes, she didn't write so much about the supernatural or "special FX", more about the effects of that mysterious and horrible influence of the newly-released Barnabas had on bystanders.  In the case of the Willie stories, on people Willie encountered: victims he was made to entice, friends he discovered in spite of his overbearing Master breathing down his neck.  She detailed the mundane work Willie did, reminding one that if he screwed up even one detail, he'd get a thrashing or worse.  At the same time, she caught the tiny glimmerings of the reluctant vampire's equally reluctant return to humanity.

Her take on the subject was compassionate without being sentimental, and the close details gave one the feel of what it was like to live in a small, isolated town in the 1960s.  Things a typical suburbanite even back then wouldn't consider, though kids in my age group would have had parents who lived through the Depression, like how poor fisherfolk and factory workers would heat their homes in a backwards village in Maine which hadn't changed much since before the Depression. 

Truly, this was a person who was stolen from the world before she had a chance to show that world yet more of what she was capable.

Niki was also well-regarded by many in her area, as these articles I've found will attest:

http://www.aikenstandard.com/Local/1216Nidiffer

http://www.aikenstandard.com/EditorsCorner/1216-editorsnote

These are articles about her (non-DS) book about the Graniteville train wreck, UNNATURAL DISASTER, which didn't kill many people, but had a great effect on the area:

http://www.aikenstandard.com/EditorsCorner/1216-editorsnote

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/2168862.html

This site has a pretty good, large reproduction of her original photo of the wreck as appeared in AP news outlets worldwide in 2005 (scroll down page):

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df01102005.shtml

Over those years, I did have some pictures that included Niki, from the Fests.  Having just done some re-scans and adjusting older pictures (some of which, in their older forms, are on the Yahoo WillieLoomislist site)  I present 2 views, one of Niki and John Karlen looking at the "Sweet Bird of Youth" programme, and the last one from the 2006 banquet.

Lorraine B.

"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
Lorraine, that was a very touching, sentimental tribute. I'd like to thank you for posting the links (one editoriaol I didn't even know about), and the photos and your remembrance of the kid. She really was a great spirit.
Yesterday was the first day that I was able to finally let go and have a good cry. It was a long one. I cried myself to sleep even.
I would like to thank you all for your support and warm wishes. I'm saddened too that Niki wasn't a part of this board. I used to tell her about some of the topics and she would have insightful comments that would have been appreciated here. Unfortunately, it was not to be.
Gotta focus now on finding a job, a place to live, and keeping Niki happily in my thoughts.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »
Janet, I am so very sorry to read of your loss.  May your memories of Niki bring you comfort.  What a fine, remarkable individual she was.

best wishes,

Steve (aka Gothick)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 02:33:26 AM »
Lorraine, thanks for gathering all those links and, indeed, what a wonderful tribute to Nik!

I will miss her. What a great character she was.

DS brings good people together.

Nancy