Author Topic: German Translations of the Marilyn Ross aka Dan Ross Novels  (Read 1106 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
German Translations of the Marilyn Ross aka Dan Ross Novels
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »
Here's some information I found about the German translations of the Paperback Library DS novels.  They were translated by Karl Heinz Poppe.   The literal translation is given after each of the German titles. This was done by the Google service and in at least one case, is obviously not indicative of what the title is supposed to mean in German.  The words "Deutsche Erstausgabe" followed each title in the list that I have.  I have no idea what this means.

Sein erstes Opfer (1977) (D) (HO) His First Victim(s?)
   Barnabas Collins (1968) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 211: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S

Das Blutfest auf den Klippen (1977) (D) (HO) The Blood Feast on the Cliffs
  The Secret of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 215: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Der Blutgraf (1977) (D) (HO) The Blood Count
      The Peril of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 231: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Die Geisterhöhle (1977) (D) (HO)  The Ghost Cave
    Barnabas, Quentin and the Haunted Cave (1970) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 245: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Die Gruft der Phantome (1977) (D) (HO) The Tomb of the Phantoms
    Deutsche Erstausgabe
  The Phantom of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 227: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Jagd auf Werwölfe (1977) (D) (HO) Hunting on (of?) the Werewolves
     Barnabas, Quentin and the Nightmare assassin (1970) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 238: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Die Teufelsfrau von Collinwood (1977) (D) (HO) The Vicious Wife of Collinwood
      Barnabas, Quentin and the Avenging Ghost (1970) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 253: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Wenn der Totenvogel klagt (1977) (D) (HO)  If the Dead Bird Laments (Is something lost in translation here?)
     The Demon of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 223: 1. Aufl. (RH)
  64 S.

Der Werwolf und die Hexe (1977) (D) (HO) The Werewolf and the Witch
   The Foe of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)
  Pabel Vampir-Heft, 219: 1. Aufl. (RH)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: German Translations of the Marilyn Ross aka Dan Ross Novels
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Wenn der Totenvogel klagt (1977) (D) (HO)  If the Dead Bird Laments (Is something lost in translation here?)
    The Demon of Barnabas Collins (1969) (US)

I'm definitely guessing so!  [ghost_cheesy]

Thanks so much for posting this info.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »
Dear Doctor And K-9,

Deutsche Erstausgabe means "German [language] First Edition."

The title that puzzled you would be better translated as "When the Bird of Death Sings"--the verb klagen normally describes the tolling of a bell, but I can't think of an elegant way of rending this into English offhand.

Was Dark Shadows aired in Germany in the 1970s?  The idea of anybody bothering to translate this stuff makes my head hurt.

cheers, G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
I found this followup information.  These are the order of the German translations  I'm providing the original English, the German and literal translations of the titles.  These translations may differ slightly from what was given in the last post.  One of my sources listed 9 novels in the series, noting both the German title and the English one.  The second source did not specify the original English title.  I'm assuming that book one is Barnabas Collins and the Mysterious Ghost, as I don't recall any other book having a dancer in it.  On a totally personal note, if I were launching a series of foreign translations, that book would be high on the list of those to translate LAST.  It was never a favorite of mine. 
1 Barnabas Collins and the Mysterious Ghost- Der Vampir und die Tänzerin- The Vampire and the Dancer
2 Barnabas Collins-Sein erstes Opfer- His First Victim
3 The Secret of Barnabas Collins-Das Blutfest auf den Klippen- Blood Feast on the Cliffs
4 The Foe of Barnabas Collins- Der Werwolf und die Hexe -Of the Werewolf and the Witch
5 The Demon of Barnabas Collins- Wenn der Totenvogel klagt- Of the Dead Bird Complains
6 The Phantom and Barnabas Collins- Die Gruft der Phantome- The Tomb of the Phantoms
7 The Peril of Barnabas Collins- Der Blutgraf- The Blood Count
8 Barnabas, Quentin, and the Nightmare Assassin- Jagd auf Werwölfe,- Hunting for Werewolves
9 Barnabas Quentin, and the Haunted Cave- Die Geisterhöhle- The Ghost Cave
10 Barnabas, Quentin and the Avenging Ghost- Die Teufelsfrau von Collinwood - The Devil Woman from Collinwood

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »
Quote from: Gothick
Deutsche Erstausgabe means "German [language] First Edition."

Thank you Gothick!
Here’s some additional information about the German reprints.  First of all, they were part of a series called Vampire Horror Roman.  I gather these were more like magazines than actual paperbacks, but that’s conjecture.  I do know that the series started in 1973 and ended in 1981, with issue 451.  Starting bi-weekly and quickly moving weekly, they ran a mix of foreign translation and probably some domestic material.  I don’t know if they ever ran anything original.  They did reprint Donald Glut’s Frankenstein series.  You may recall that he had written an article on DS in a Marvel Magazine.  It’s late, so I won’t get up and get the exact title and date.  # 68 saw the publication of Barnabas Collins and the Mysterious Ghost in 1974.  Barnabas didn’t return until 1977, in issue 211. My second posting on this topic gives the release order for the series.  #s 215, 219, 223, 227, and 231 all came out on a monthly schedule.  The series went bi-monthly with 237.  Only two books came out in 1978, 245 and 253.  In 1991, a title called Damonen-land attempted to revive the series by releasing a second reprint of Barnabas Collins.  Perhaps they hoped to capitalize on the ’91 revival?  Does anyone know if it aired there?  As far as I know Dark Shadows has only been translated into one foreign language, Spanish.  I have no idea if either version of the show aired on the US Military Channels overseas.  House of Dark Shadows has most likely been shown there, as I found reference to a title Das Schloss der Vampire.
Here's a link to the cover image for BC and the Mysterious Ghost.  You can access the covers for all of the issues in the series.  Hint, the last few digits of the URL have the issue number. Simply change those digits and jump ahead quickly to the issue you want.  It avoids the need to continually hit the arrow button.  Click on the image for an enlarged version.  Their artist made no attempt at all to portray Frid, Parker, Selby, or anyone from the show.
http://www.mcsammel.de/romanhefte/deutschland_nach_1945/r_vampir_horror_roman/vampir_horror_roman_0068.html

Here's a link to the reprint cover for BC. 
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://gruselromane.de/daemonen-land/romane/dl_043.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDamonen-Land%2BBarnabas%26hl%3Den