Author Topic: a REAL Dark Shadows music box?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
a REAL Dark Shadows music box?
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »
Does anyone know of a company that makes music boxes or even an empty "box" like the Josette Music box? Even if they can't make the complete music, because of copywrites, maybe we could find someone that can make the box and any of us with the little toy music box could take the "music" out of the toy and put it in a real box.

Know what I mean?

I hope.
May you die before you want too.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: a REAL Dark Shadows music box?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »
I do like your ideas including the Victrola. There are previous posts concerning DS merchandising. I think the problem is first with Dan Curtis Productions and how protective they are about handing out licensing to companies. DCP has in recent times been more aggressive like having Majestic produce the collector action figures. Unfortunately they went out of business although I understand the the figures sold very well. Actually one site has a couple of the Barnabas 1900 series available for sale at $49.00 at Amoktime.com: Dark Shadows Barnabas Collins 12in Figure. That is a pretty good price these days. I digress. DCP seems to favor MPI for some reasons which I think some of us know why. But I do see DCP and or WB coming out with many new DS collectibles if the new movie is ever made.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
I'm sure if the new movie is made, and is a hit, we'll see all sorts of collectables. I just hope they look the same. I don't know if I want a NEW music box, or ring.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »
I know this isn't THE music box but if I remember right, and I may not, they didn't use a real music box on the show. I was trying to think of what it could have been before they used it for the music box. I thought maybe a candle holder so I did a search. Here's what I've found so far. It make me think that I could be on the right track. I'll keep looking and I my get those to hold me until I find something better.

See image:
Floral Lattice Jar Holder
(edited by admin)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:51:50 AM »
I have the on from 1996 issued from MPI.  It's in great shape and I will play it maybe once a year.  I did just the other day.  I personally thought the "1991" music box was the prettiest.  I know I am probably among the few who did but it is just my humble opinon cousins!! [ghost_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:56:15 AM »
A certain someone on the forum will probably agree with you, Taeylor, because she owns that music box.  [ghost_smiley]  She bought it at the '04 Fest auction (how's that for a hint to how you might search the older posts to learn her identity?  [ghost_grin]).

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:03:06 AM »
I personally thought the "1991" music box was the prettiest.  I know I am probably among the few who did but it is just my humble opinon cousins!! [ghost_grin]

I thought that all the MPI music boxes were identical.  I don't remember what year mine is, or where it is right now.  It is cheapy looking to an outsider, but magical for those for whom its representation has resonant meaning.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »
I remember reading when the music box toy first came out in the late 60's or early 70's, it was cheap looking because
of the plastic.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
I thought that all the MPI music boxes were identical.

They're talking about the one used in the 1991 TV series.

(edited by admin)

RachelDrummand

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I too am searching for a replica or as close as I can come by to the 1991 music box. The original cheapo plastic one simply will not do and wasn't worth the price my hubby paid for it. *sighs* Anyway, I'm part of this DS Revival forum and we had a thread just like this one...so this one person came on and gave us pics of a box that looks almost identical to the revival but would not say where he/she purchased it!

So maybe you guys can help???

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
I'm part of this DS Revival forum and we had a thread just like this one...so this one person came on and gave us pics of a box that looks almost identical to the revival but would not say where he/she purchased it!

So maybe you guys can help???

Wouldn't say where s/he purchased it?

The music box prop is actually a composite of the jewel box lid seen in your photo and a much heavier music box with a hinged lid that was electroplated to match.  So the lid is identical (it's a great find!) to the very top part only.  Hope that helped.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
Unfortunately this person has chosen not to contact me or anyone else on the forum. What a tease! I'm hoping someone here will have seen this or something. I remember on ebay a few years back there were some pretty silver music box that played the original Josette tune (not the Cobert version) I'm still looking for one of those as well. *sighs*

~Rachel

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »
I remember always wanting a music box just like the one in the show.  For 1970, the mail order box was great, but for the modern day, I really think MPI should've gone with a more elaborate design, not just a reproduction of the original issue.  I hope that when the new film comes out, we'll see a new Josette's Music Box that still plays Cobert's tune.  (That's the catcher for me.)  (And I hope that the filmmakers decide to keep Cobert's Main Theme, Josette's Music Box, and Shadows of the Night in this new film version, should the characters involved with those themes be present.)  Josette's Music Box is my favorite tune ever composed, and I'd like to see the actual music box mechanism be given a proper home someday.  After all, such a lovely and entrancing tune deserves an equally beautiful presentation. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »
A bit off topic but I also hope they keep the "COLLINWOOD" theme for the opening of the movie.  The theme that opened all of the episodes! [ghost_wink]  Anyhow yes I was refferring to the 1991 DS music box.   [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »
I've been "searching" on-line for that Jewelry/Music box top, I'll keep looking where ever I can and I'll let you know if I find it, you do the same and let me know if you find it. Cool?