Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0610  (Read 2393 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0610
« on: August 15, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0610
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:01:22 PM »
Elizabeth's obsession with death provided another wonderful moment today.  She wasn't too far off when she said that Eve was the Angel of Death.  I don't understand why Eve wasn't inspired to kill Elizabeth then and there.

What a lovely couple: Peter Bradford and Leona Eltridge.  It's just about enough to make me throw up.  And what's this about Danielle seeing Peter die?  How did that come about?  If she was around Collinsport during the events of 1795, surely they would have become even more complicated, not to mention providing more victims to be blamed on The Collinsport Strangler.  I'm surprised that Abigail didn't peg Danielle as a witch.  Oh, well, maybe she did but Danielle didn't do anything to arouse anybody else's suspicions so Abigail gave up.

Jeff was rude yet again today, saying he would go talk to Elizabeth after the movie instead of before.  What if Liz wants to go to bed?

Great scene with Nicholas and Eve.  You can tell that Eve is a serious problem: Nicholas doesn't smile at her the way he does with Angelique.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:09:21 PM »
Boy Nicholas sure gave Eve a good hard slap today! He's now off her most desirable men list for sure! Now she hates his guts.

Frankly I don't think they should have tied Danielle in with 1795 or rather in Collinsport. Peter, yes, if they felt they really had to tie her in with him. But their history should have been elsewhere other than in Collinsport.

Loved the scene between Vicki and Elizabeth. They really did have a close relationship. I just wish the writers could have come up with something other than the buried-alive-spell phase to cook up for Elizabeth in terms of storyline. As others have said this particular sub-plot did drag on way too long.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:03:06 AM »
I don't have a whole lot to say about this one.  It was pretty good.  I loved the scenes between AM and JB. [spoiler]I wish that the mother/daughter storyline between these two could have been resolved.  A most annoying dangling plotline but not as atrocious as Victoria being killed off later [ghost_mad][/spoiler]  I thought that AM looked beautiful in these eps. Her hair was so long and gorgeous.  Maybe it was the pregnancy glow?? Great line by Danielle "I watched the spilling of blood for four years during The Revolution!   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:05:46 AM »
I watched this again. I saw something that I hadn't seen before. Angelique and Eve are the same, in that they go after men they can't have. Then when they got them they throw them away.

The one thing that this tells us is that Peter Bradford wasn't holiest of people. Why didn't he report the murder.

I did like the way they moved through time.  I wonder who put Marie's cap on her?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
I agree with IluvBarnabas - the connection between Danielle Roget and Peter Bradford should have been elsewhere besides Collinsport.  [ghost_nowink] How could it have happened when Vicki was there?  [ghost_huh] Peter appeared to be deeply involved with Vicki - not Danielle - shortly before he was hung.

Yes, indeed, Elizabeth and Vicki were getting very close.  [ghost_smiley] I agree with others that the Elizabeth "fear of becoming dead but not really being dead" storyline dragged on way too long! Since Angelique was no longer a witch, the spell should have been broken. Another inconsistency on the part of the DS writers.  [ghost_sad]

I agree that Jeff was very rude to Elizabeth! [ghost_mad] It only would take a moment for her to thank him.

Although Vicki's hair was very beautiful, I found it strange to see her that way. I'm so used to her hair being pulled back. [spoiler]When you saw Vicki's hair down like it was in this episode, it's a sign that AM would soon be leaving the show. [cryg] [/spoiler]

I loved watching Nicholas cause Eve to go into a trance by looking at the candle! It was fascinating!  [ghost_wink]

-----  Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
i agree emerald rose...

the 600-numbered,vicki-with-her-hair-down episodes are always melancholy for me because i know they are alexandra's last.this group of episodes starts the countdown...

ironically she's at her most gorgeous during this period.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »
and of course i agree that the liz-fears-death storyline went on for waaaay to long.

1968 was a strange period for joan bennett on the series.she seemed to take lots of "vacations" or whatever they were,elizabeth would disappear for weeks or months,then she'd return abruptly one day and pick up with this tired,boring plot even though the rest of the show had moved into a million different directions since this started.

if you think about it it started during the early cassandra plot and didn't end until the start of the quentin plot.that's a very long time in terms of d.s. story plotting.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
I've noticed lately that the Liz death thing was about the only writing/acting that seemed heartfelt to me... that and Maggie on a hunger strike and Julia fighting Tom's control.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 03:24:50 AM »
sorry to post three times in the same topic but...

my earlier post made me think about what made the liz-fears-death storyline feel so stale,so stagant,and for me it's this...

in general 1968 zipped along at a dizzying clip,racing pell-mell from plot to plot,vicki returning from the past,the automobile accident and it's aftermath,dr.lang,cassandra,the dream curse,adam,nicholas blair,angelique-as-a-vampire,tom jennings,danielle roget,eve and so forth.every few weeks the main plot was turned on it's head and most of the characters responded.

but for liz's appearances,which are few and far between,it's always the same thing,the same dialogue,the same fretfull,hand-wringing performance from joan bennett.it didn't change.

i've said this before but while jonathan frid had clearly become the series' focal point by this time i'm sure joan still had a considerable amount of clout with the producers.i'm surprised that at some point she didn't put her foot down and demand something better.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:11:12 AM »
Well Joan did get a WONDERFUL role once they[spoiler]travelled back into 1897![/spoiler]Also various sources said that JB wanted to be written out during this time to do several plays!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »
mscbryk--I think supernatural pandemonium might have been the focus in 1968... Barnabas seemed stuck in it with little to do, but with lots of screentime.   When he gets [spoiler]bit,[/spoiler] he has something to exercise acting skills on, but he seems to be marking time otherwise.

I just saw Liz's first close-call, "dying", being pronounced dead by Julia, then she opens her eyes, and all those people need to be slapped around a little for not falling all over themselves apologizing to her for not having believed her before.... I think Adam was far more tiresome than Liz, who had some good lines and acting moments with the buried alive business.   No disrespect whatsoever, mscbryk.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
you make an interesting point.in 1968 "supernatural pandemonium"...as opposed to a single character...was a driving focus.and indeed while barnabas did enjoy lots of screentime the writer's attempts to make him "nice" did result in some rather dull characterization...a trap d.s. fell frequently into when a previously evil character becomes popular.

still,i don't think there can be much dispute that by this time jonathan frid's barnabas...and not joan bennett...had emerged as the series' breakout "star" and most recognizable marketing tool.those kids that you-know-what probably wouldn't have been too inclined to carry an elizabeth collins stoddard lunchbox to school(although i'd kill for one!).

and of course i find the adam plot to be infinitley worse than almost anything else on the series ever.i loath it with a passion.

but i still think the liz-fears-death plot is lame.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:44 AM »
Quote from: mscbryk
and of course i find the adam plot to be infinitley worse than almost anything else on the series ever.i loath it with a passion.

I agree. However, 1968 holds some great Jonathan/Grayson/ Barnabas/Julia moments, scenes etc. so I just pretend he isn't there. :P I could watch GH and JF all day. :)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »
It would have been difficult to maintain Joan Bennett as the focal point of the series when she took such long vacations.  As it is, during this period I like the way Liz occasionally pops in and puts a completely wacky spin on everything she sees.  What a shame that she never saw the body in the Old House basement before Eve was brought to life!