Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Curious George 6/4  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Curious George 6/4
« on: June 05, 2002, 06:05:12 AM »
Precious few of the fashion notes today (sorry)

Okay, I admit my knowledge of the uniforms of small town police comes from TAGS, but did the ones today strike anyone as a bit formal for that kind of work?  I get why the sheriff would be spiffed up, but you'd think the deputies would be in more casual attire.

Incidentally (and no, this is not a fashion note), but Sheriff Patterson's force seems unreasonably large to me--3 dozen men yesterday, 2 dozen today.  So like 36 cops and presumably a few more in the station house minding the store???  This is supposed to be a small town, not a small city.

Back to the sartorial--I noticed that Carolyn had chosen to don yellow shoes to wear with her neon green outfit.  Bad choice and ugly shoes :(

The apres-kidnapping outfit, not usually a big fan of the frilly, but I thought the blue negligee looked rather well on Nancy Barrett.

Oy, sparser than I thought.  Anyhow, onto the show.

Oh, my goodness, oh, my soul, Sheriff Patterson jumped exponentially with the IQ points.  I found it all singularly refreshing to watch.  Barnabas was nowhere near as lame as he usually is when being questioned by the police and George was just sharp as a tack.  I liked it.  So much more suspenseful to watch when the law enforcement isn't making Gotham's Chief O'Hara look like Dirty Harry.

I loved the fadeout with Lang's voice (hammy, though it was) sounding over the footage of the waves and the rocks and I ADORED the fact that they didn't use a score until the very end.  God, it was fresh and it worked and isn't it amazing how such a small thing can make such a difference?

Regarding the set that was the rocks at the base of Widows' Hill.  Sorry, but it looked like something that they used on Star Trek only a zillion times when simulating an alien landscape.  

I almost fell off my bed when Barnabas piously informed Willie that he was thinking of Carolyn (my a** he was).  Like he gave a flying fig when he was at home pacing worrying about being turned in instead of searching.

Where is Julia when she's needed?  I'm not a huge proponent of sedating people, but for once, it seemed called for.  Carolyn was pretty much freaking out and Liz wasn't even pressing her Valium on the girl.

I was quite taken aback to see Liz walking outside in her nightgown and robe.  Admittedly it was a snazzy hostess gown and not quite the same as a nightshirt, but it just seemed very out of character--she didn't even have one of those singularly unattractive headscarves.  

My last comments are about the set that is Carolyn's bedroom.  I disliked it intensely when they were showing it in B&W and I detest it more so now in living color.  I think my problem with it is partly that it so doesn't fit the rest of the Collinwood sets.  It's such a mishmosh of illfitting things (the Toulouse-Lautrec print doesn't go with the oval formal portraits which so doesn't go with that bizarre palm tree which doesn't go with the old lady knick-knacks.  And that icky tufted headboard.  

It's very much a teenage girl's room, but Carolyn isn't a teenager anymore and besides these are wealthy people--you'd think Liz would have brought it all much more into a grownup decor, or that Carolyn would have done so.  Of course, this could be a reflection of the comparative immaturity of the Carolyn character, but is that too much credit to assign to the set designer?  Sy Tomashoff (sp?) was good, but was he that good?

As Carolyn was biting Willie (you go, girl!) I went to a scary visual place and wondered what the Trading Spaces designers would make of it.  I have an image of Hildi Santo-Thomas trying to tack up straw and broken glass and meeting Elizabeth's icy stare glare for glare . . . or maybe with Frank deciding to accentuate the knickknacks and doing some faux finishes with 36 paint colors . . . okay, I'll stop now--sorry, long day and too many hours on the reference desk.

I would have more to comment on except that my cable apparently went out because all I have on my tape from this point on is snow.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--Curious George 6/4
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 06:28:29 PM »
I totally agree with you about the bedroom.  Early tacky!!

And the other thing that struck me is that Carolyn had been gone for 2 days - she's very wealthy - and all they could dig up for her to eat was a cheese sandwich?! ::)  Now, don't get me wrong, the china was fancy shmancy....but it was still a cheese sandwich!!!

Franimal

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2002, 12:30:40 AM »
LOL, but did you notice how she didn't eat it anyway? She's going ON and ON and ON about starving to death in the root cellar, and then she doesn't eat. LMAO!
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2002, 07:54:23 PM »
Food is just not  important to these people.  Carolyn gets a lousy cheese sandwitch.  Adam gets a bowl of soup, than a lousy chicken leg.  Can we forget Barnabas's famous party, not one snack or munchies, just that bowl of punch.  It is no wonder you don't hear the characters complaining about needing to go on a diet.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2002, 09:27:48 PM »
Now that you mention it, Birdie.....you're right....the amount of food that ever appeared on this show is miniscule!!  And poor Adam never even got that chicken leg...Willie did, but enough said about THAT!!

The "costume party" was the worst offense.  Can you imagine asking a bunch of people to go to all that trouble, getting dressed up and their hair done, and then expecting them to sit around politely drinking punch and starving to death?  There wasn't even enough punch for them to get drunk!!!

I guess food was just too problematic a prop for their budget...not to mention the possibility it would become lethal if left under those lights long enough!!   :P

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 08:57:58 AM »
Food is just not  important to these people.   Can we forget Barnabas's famous party, not one snack or munchies, just that bowl of punch.  It is no wonder you don't hear the characters complaining about needing to go on a diet.  

Birdie

LOL!!  Now that you mentioned it Birdie I was wondering why there were no snacks out for them to munch on. ?!?  Geesh, at least Professor Stokes has cheese available for his guests! :)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 02:20:31 AM »

Incidentally (and no, this is not a fashion note), but Sheriff Patterson's force seems unreasonably large to me--3 dozen men yesterday, 2 dozen today.  So like 36 cops and presumably a few more in the station house minding the store???  This is supposed to be a small town, not a small city.

Luciaphil

Sheriffs are county employees, though, which might give him a larger manpower base.  I agree that 36 officers is probably unrealistic (unless he's simply borrowed from other local police forces)  but since his jurisdiction covers more than just Collinsport, he would likely have more than two or three hands at his disposal.

Cheers,

Linda