Author Topic: Christmas_Season Theme  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas_Season Theme
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Apparently the problems in IE with the garland and underlining seem to only be an IE7 thing. I'm at a friend's school where they still use IE6, and there's no underlining - and the garland appears just as it should:

It seems as if the more Microsoft supposedly "improves" IE, the more they actually make it worse.  [santa_angry]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 10:21:02 PM »
I use IE and I don't get any underlining, but neither do I get any garland.  I really do not care although Collinwood in the snow is very pretty, I have to say (I tend to be something of a grumpus when it comes to "holiday" themes--as I'm sure will astound many of you here).

Have a cool Yule,

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »
Yeah, the underline thing is only when the cursor is on the window, but anyway

it's very festive.

Thanks for doing your best MB, which we all know is ALOT. Sure hope you're making the BIG BUCKS!

Love,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 01:56:36 AM »
Sorry, peeps.  I am not opposed to the holiday theme, but the Red type on the dark background is extremely eye straining, especially when moving from lighter pages such as the reply page....

Oh, and are you absolutely certain everyone who posts/reads this page is Christian?  ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:51 AM »
Oh, and are you absolutely certain everyone who posts/reads this page is Christian?  ;)

Oh, we know that without a doubt everyone who visits the forum isn't Christian. (Actually, not even all the people who work on the forum are Christian.) That's why we've always stuck with a generic holiday motif every year. We have included menorah smileys for Hanukkah, though (though I'm embarrassed to say i haven't found the time to put those up yet). (And if I could find Kwanzaa smiley's I'd install those as well.  [santa_smiley])  And you'll note that the only thing I said when I introduced this theme is that it's hard to imagine DS fans wouldn't want to see snow falling onto Collinwood for as long as possible.  [santa_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 02:59:45 AM »
indeed!

some of us are in league with the devil,others pray to the great god ra,while i personally pledge allegiance to an indian warlock i met in barbados. [santa_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 07:04:50 AM »
indeed!

some of us are in league with the devil,others pray to the great god ra,while i personally pledge allegiance to an indian warlock i met in barbados. [santa_wink]

Bwahaha!  [laughing4]

Incidentally, while I do think the background is lovely and festive, since this theme has been installed, I keep getting a "Session timed out" error every time I try to mark a board as read.  Have any other cousins been having the same problem?  Could it be the doing of that old Grinch, Diabolos?  [santa_wink]

ProfStokes

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 07:17:36 AM »
Oops - that's a session verification error:

An Error Has Occurred!

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

And thanks for pointing it out. Back on the first day that I installed this theme, Midnite discovered the same error was occurring with the "Mark as read" button on the BoardIndex page. I fixed that one (the code for the link wasn't verifying a member's session) and I thought I'd caught all the other instances where a similar button shows up, but apparently I missed one.  [santa_embarassed]  (I even confessed to Midnite that I was afraid I wouldn't remember where all those buttons show up - mostly because I don't use them.) But I'll get on that right away...

Could it be the doing of that old Grinch, Diabolos?  [santa_wink]

We've theorized more than once that the forum is haunted, but it never occurred that he could be causing the unexplained weirdness. Hmmm...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 07:46:33 AM »
It *should* be fixed.  [santa_smiley]  And the "Mark as read" buttons weren't actually the only instances where Midnite and I had discovered session verification errors coming up in this theme. So, if anyone else happens across one, please post what you were doing when it occurred so that I can get to the bottom of it.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
Many thanks, MB!  [8_2_74]

ProfStokes

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
I may be one of the few oddballs here but I had to change my settings off the Christmas theme.  Although I LOVE seeing the snow fall on Collinwood, since we never did see any holidays on the show, I had a hard time reading the messages.  Even though I change the color fonts and make them larger, most people keep their fonts on default, which seems to be red.  It blends into the background, for me anyway, and I couldn't read it very well.  So I've very happy there are other chooses.  I'm glad there's a Christmas theme for others to enjoy and look forward to seeing what's up next for other holidays.  Love the Hanukkah icons too.

[Chanukah8]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
I'm discovering that the monitor someone has makes a great deal of difference with this theme. Once again I'm at my friend's school where they have a wide variety of monitors, so I've had the opportunity to check many different ones out. This theme seems to work well with every LCD monitor (which is the type I own), however, the contrast with some CRT monitors seems to be a bit of a problem - especially with older monitors that may not be using the latest Windows drivers available for them.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:57 AM »
Once again I'm at my friend's school where they have a wide variety of monitors, so I've had the opportunity to check many different ones out.
What an exciting life you lead, MB!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
I live for excitement, Lydia!  [santa_grin]  Though in the case of my friend's school, I frequently do volunteer IT work (because they can't afford an actual IT person) and I serve on the Technology Committee. I don't know how exciting it is - but it is fulfilling.  [santa_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »
Just bumping this topic up as a reminder that people using IE7 are not seeing this theme as its writer intended. Check out replies #2 and #30 for graphics of what it should look like and does look like in other browsers.  [santa_smiley]