Author Topic: "The Beckoning Fair One" and NoDS  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
"The Beckoning Fair One" and NoDS
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:28:18 PM »
Greetings Fans,

Last weekend, a friend I haven't seen in awhile came to visit and brought a few goodies to loan out.  Among them was a bootlegged set of the short-lived British anthology series, Journey to the Unknown.  I'm not sure how I missed ever seeing this show since it ran on ABC in the US during the 1968-69 season; I can only guess that they may have given it a 10 p.m. timeslot due to the "adult" themes and that WAS past my bedtime that year.

The series was produced with US money and the format involved a British cast, location and production facilities (through fabled Hammer studios, as it happens) but with a US guest star featured as the lead in each show.  Episodes I have seen to date featured folks such as Patty Duke, George Maharis, Robert Reed, Robert Lansing, etc.

Robert Lansing's episode is based upon a classic ghost story by the now-forgotten author Oliver Onions, "The Beckoning Fair One."  The adaptation for this series updated the original tale (set I believe in the 1920s or 1930s) to the present day (i.e. 1968) and changed quite a bit of the story.  What I wasn't prepared for was how close certain set-pieces in this version seemed to be to certain details of the second feature film, Night of Dark Shadows (filmed in the Spring of 1971).

Like Quentin Collins in NoDS, the lead character in "Beckoning Fair One" is a painter, come to England to have his first one-man show in a London art gallery.  Instead of inheriting a haunted mansion, he rents one with his fiancee (played by English actress Gabrielle Drake, the sister of legendary singer-songwriter Nick Drake).  The title refers to the portrait of a woman who lived in the house in the 1930s and 1940s, a Rebecca (or Angelique!) like femme fatale whose mocking ghostly laugher is heard FREQUENTLY throughout the story.  (The laughter does remind me of the unseen cackling of our very own Favorite Witch.)

As in NoDS, the painter quickly becomes obsessed with his ghostly paramour, locking himself up in his studio, doing portrait after portrait of his Beckoning Fair One, and lashing out violently to his fiancee when she ignores the signs of his deteriorating grip upon reality.

I know Sam Hall had to pull a script out of his hat VERY quickly during preparations for the second feature film.  It would be interesting if he had seen The Beckoning Fair One on ABC and put that together with memories of the AIP feature The Haunted Palace and some of his own ideas together to produce the narrative and concept for Night of Dark Shadows.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "The Beckoning Fair One" and NoDS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »
Oh, my goodness, I think I remember that show!  If it's the one I'm thinking about, it scared me silly.  Didn't it have an episode where a woman was accidentally locked in a room (a library, I think, in a spooky, old house) where she was trapped with the enraged ghost of a murderer who wanted to continue his hobby?

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:03:57 AM »
Fascinating info about the similarities to NoDS, Gothick.

This topic might help jog some memories about Journey to the Unknown:
OT Trivia question for original fans

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:51:03 AM »
Midnite, you've got such a wonderful memory!  What would we do without you?

Gerard (Who's Now Trying To Remember Where He Put His Car Keys [And Then Where He Put His Car])

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »
Very interesting similarities Gothick.  I'll have to check this series out sometime.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:59:55 AM »
Dear Gerard, yes, Journey to the Unknown did have the episode you describe amongst its tales. The title was "Matakitas is coming" (Matakitas was the name of the murderer) and I think the woman who was trapped was played by Vera Miles.

There's an episode guide for this series available on IMDB.

Best, Steve