Author Topic: OT Trivia question for original fans  (Read 1064 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT Trivia question for original fans
« on: October 27, 2002, 02:45:14 AM »
No offense kiddos, I just suspect that you wouldn't be familiar with:

What was the scifi/horror show in the sixties or seventies that began in an empty amusement park at night? I think the camera took you through the park, then on the roller coaster. And a very creepy and effective intro it was!

I am finding myself wondering if it reruns on Scifi, but since I can't remember the name, how would I know? It is amazing the things that bug you when you are too old to remember them and yet not old enough not to care....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT Trivia question for original fans
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 03:11:47 AM »
Oh, for cyrin' out loud, I'm gonna be up all night trying to remember the name of that show!  It came on, I believe, Friday nights.  There was one episode in particular that scared the you-know-what outta me:  a woman was accidentally locked in a room (a library) with the ghost of an enraged and vengeful murderer.  Well, I will keep rackin' my brains trying to remember.

Gerard

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 04:40:11 AM »
Oh, for cyrin' out loud, I'm gonna be up all night trying to remember the name of that show!  It came on, I believe, Friday nights.  There was one episode in particular that scared the you-know-what outta me:  a woman was accidentally locked in a room (a library) with the ghost of an enraged and vengeful murderer.  Well, I will keep rackin' my brains trying to remember.

Gerard

I don't recall the one you are talking about Kuanyin,
it sure sounds scaring though!
But I do remember the one Gerard is talking about.
And that one scared the pee out of me! [shckd]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 05:24:42 PM »
For some reason, my first thought went to 'Carnival of Souls'.  That can't be right though since it was a movie from the late 50's/early 60's and not a TV show that I recall.  I saw the video several years ago.  It's actually quite good (in B/W) with a lot of psychological meanings , innuendos, etc. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 07:49:07 PM »
Well, I know this one, cause the show was one of my favorites! It's called "Journey to the Unknown" and was originally broadcast on prime-time ABC during the 1968-69 season. The first episode was entitled "Eve," about a mannequin that comes to life (played by Carol Lynley). This particular episode inspired an early Carpenters song, also entitled "Eve."

"Journey to the Unknown's" opening credits were in an abandoned amusement park (at night). The viewer ended up on a roller coaster, as an eerie theme song (sans vocals) played.

Incidentally, "Journey to the Unknown" was produced by Hammer Films, out of the UK. They're famous for "Horror of Dracula" and "Curse of Frankenstein," both starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Ah...my old brain has been put to some good use!

Rod

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 07:56:55 PM »
The episode about the library was called "Matakitas is Coming,"starred Vera Miles, and was originally broadcast November 28, 1968.  Very frightening!

Rod

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2002, 02:20:27 AM »

Ah...my old brain has been put to some good use!

It certainly has, Rod! It has been bugging me for some time now, the intro was really haunting and honestly, those images and the music has NEVER left me. In this time of old classics being on dvd or being re-aired, the possibility of seeing it again was enticing but impossible if I couldn't come up with the name! I am happily going to go do a search on it now. Thanks, ever so!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton