Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0252  (Read 1029 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0252
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:28:40 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0252
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:05:28 PM »
We leave Maggie crying in the basement of the Old House while we contemplate Elizabeth's problems.  Also Mitch Ryan's.  Somehow it seems right that, in a pinch, Joel Crothers got called in to cover Ryan's lines - it's the sort of thing that Joe Haskell would have been happy to do.  Last time I watched this episode, I didn't know the story behind it, but this time I notice that the lines do seem more Joe-like than Burke-like, and there's no explanation of why Vicky would happen to be having a drink with Joe.

There's a wonderful line from Carolyn towards the beginning of the show, which goes something like this: "I don't want to interfere with your life.  I just want you to be happy."  It's the motto of interfering people all over the world.

Oh, gosh, I love the looks on Roger's and Vicky's faces when - horror of horrors - Carolyn calls Buzz.  It's as if she's summoning up the devil from Hell.  TV being what it is, if Carolyn made a date with Buzz four years later, after all the supernatural disasters that happened at Collinwood, everybody would still be just as shocked as they were on today's episode, with no feeling of incongruity.

Buzz himself always strikes me as badly miscast - but that's a 60s sort of thing.  When the 60s were actually happening, everything got watered down for TV, so here we have Buzz, the fearsome I-only-drink-beer motorcycle gang member, looking as though he'd be much happier having some sherry and cheese with Professor Stokes.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »
Well Vicki and Joe are good friends, I don't think they needed any special reason to get together for a drink and who knows....maybe Burke was called away on business at the last minute (perhaps getting some plastic surgery? LOL).

Carolyn could do a lot worse than Buzz. [spoiler]Remember Ned Stuart, who sources tell me, she unexpectedly got together with?.[/spoiler] True, he wouldn't be MY idea of an ideal boyfriend, but one thing's for sure, he'd sure show you a good time.

Poor Elizabeth, I get the feeling as this stage she really does need someone to confide in badly, she struck me as really being on the edge with Carolyn badgering her about wanting to marry Jason. We all know Elizabeth DOESN'T want to marry the creep, but she feels she has no choice....she only wants to protect Carolyn from the truth. But with her being in the dark, Carolyn just can't comprehend her mother wanting to marry Jason and so she resorts to drastic steps.

I loved Joan and Nancy today, they were the highlights of this episode without a doubt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
The Robservations captures for this episode have finally been posted.  :-[

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
Five words for this show.  Carolyn is a spoiled bratt.  She is the same as David when she is throwing a temper tantrum. It must have been a fun day for Nancy.

Hey maybe they were drinking cream soda instead of Beer.

Buzz does seem out of place, doesn't really look like the biker type.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »
I looked up Michael Hadge (the actor who played Buzz) on IMBb, and was shocked to discover that he was 35 when he was on DS!  [shkdg] WOW!  He's one year older than John Karlen!  That sure was bad casting!  I loved his jargon - "I'm out of bread" - "Be cool, man" - etc.  Now that was a blast from the past!  [cool9]

When I first saw Carolyn's hair, I loved it.  But the more I looked at it, the more I thought it looked weird!   I used to try to wear my hair in a flip, but it never looked right - it was too curly. [sadg]

This was a great episode.  I bet Nancy Barrett was having fun that day!  [winkg]

Yes, it did seem kind of weird for Joe to be having a drink with Vicki.  But the dialog fit, even though it seemed to be more like what Burke would say than Joe.   It was great for him to fill in for Mitch Ryan.[bigok]  I'm sure that when I saw this episode the first time, I thought there was nothing wrong with it. 

Funny how some very young people could be just as old-fashioned as the older crowd.  I found it rather funny that they were reacting that way.  But it does make sense, though.  I remember having a poor opinion of motorcylists and being rather afraid of them when they rode around in packs when I was younger.  But now I don't think they are so bad, just very noisy[6283]

Poor Elizabeth. [bawl] Jason was forcing her to marry him, which caused Carolyn to rebel against her.  But if it weren't for Jason, we wouldn't have been able to see Buzz on the show!  I love Buzz! [coolg] It sure seems like he was on more than four episodes, though!  Oh, and that was funny when Elizabeth  couldn't open the door at the end of the episode! [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:19:27 PM »
I love Buzz, and he loves me.

that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

G.