Author Topic: Has any other show had 3 incarnations...  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Has any other show had 3 incarnations...
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:35:38 AM »
Pardon the pun...but I wondered if any other tv show in history has had 3 incarnations like DS.  I can't think of any...can you guys?

Thanks
Tae
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

Re: Has any other show had 3 incarnations...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:36:53 AM »
Star Trek had six series, including the animated version, plus movies~~another Trek film is on the way!

There have been 4 live action TV series based on the Superman character, plus movies & various animated versions.

The Munsters had a big screen movie in 1966, a reunion TV movie in 1981 & a second, 1980s series, The Munsters Today.

Gilligan's Island had multiple reunion TV movies, ditto
I Dream of Jeannie.

There have been 2 attempts at reviving The Twilight Zone as a weekly series, in the 1980s & about 2/3 years ago, both tanked, but a 1983 Zone film was a moderate hit.

A number of game shows were broght back years after cancellation, some as many as 3-5 times each.

Any others?
I know there are, I just can't think of any more right now.

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:47:14 AM »
I had forgot about ST....the reunion movies I want to exclude.  I am talking series only....:) But thanks..for your insight!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 02:53:12 AM »
Peyton Place had a primetime series, a daytime series, two feature films, two made-for-tv movies, two novels, and a release of the original movie sound-track.

Dark Shadows had a daytime series, a primetime series -- plus a second primetime pilot, two feature films, several sound-track releases, two comic book series, a newspaper comic series, three different series of novels, and numerous collector's items.

I would speculate that Dark Shadows comes-in second, only to Star Trek, in terms of the various incarnations.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:00:43 AM »
Dark Shadows had a daytime series, a primetime series -- plus a second primetime pilot, two feature films, several sound-track releases, two comic book series, a newspaper comic series, three different series of novels, and numerous collector's items.

I would speculate that Dark Shadows comes-in second, only to Star Trek, in terms of the various incarnations.
Well, as a card carrying Doctor Who geek, I would be remiss if I did remind folks that Doctor Who has had two ongoing series (63-89 and 2005-present with the 3rd season of the new series about to start, two feature films, a TV Movie, literally hundreds of novelizations and original novels, script books, Comic strip features starring the Doctor and also starring and the Daleks, an ongoing series of audio adventures. no less than 3 spinoffs (K9 and Company, Torchwood, and The Sarah Jane Adventures, with a spinoff featuring K9 in the works), so I must humbly suggest that Dark Shadows comes in third - after Star Trek and Doctor Who. ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
Nelson, I think you are probably correct.  Dark Shadows would come-in third.

If Taeylor meant to ask about television incarnations only, then we would want to include The Brady Bunch.  They had four primtime series, two made-for-tv movies, and a cartoon series.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
You can count Star Trek, depending upon how you define the premise.  Star Trek had two series, a live action show and an animated one.  The animated can also be considered a spin-off, depending upon how you define it.  There were 4 other spin-off series.  DS has had two incarnations, three if you count the unsold pilot.  Four, if you are counting the films.  If you are going to count the numbers of spin-offs, then All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore both have quite a ffew.  If you are looking at sequel series, using most of the same cast, or remakes using the familiar characters then you have a different situation.  THe Brady Bunch, as mentioned in an earlier post has the record there.  Wasn't there a pilot film for a series wth Mike Brady as president???  This one used the movie cast, if i remember correctly.  I did not see it, so I might be WAYYY off.

In terms of licensing, DS was the leader for many years.  With 32 novels, it beat both Trek and Doctor Who for a long time.  I'm diffrentiating novels containing new stories from novelizations of episodes or movies. Trek had the record for that for a while.  Doctor Who surpassed them eventually, with the Target novelizations.

As far as audio adventures go, assuming they are using a significant number of original players, as is the case with DS and Who, I've always believed that these should be consideredd a legitimate continuation of the show, providing they are licensed and fit the continuty.  On that basis, Doctor Who also has the Bernice Summerfield Adventures, The Dalek Empire and Cybermen mini-series, the Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, and a few odds and ends.

If you are just counting TV, does that include animation?  Shows like the Flintstones, Scooby Doo, and others have had innumerable incarntations.

Dragnet had three series, 50s, 60s and recently.

The Munsters had two series and a pilot for a third.

The Addams Family had a prime-time show and at least two animated series, a Hallloween special/pilot in the 70s, and two movies.

DS is high on the list of cult shows that refuse to go away.  How high depends upon the fine print in the definition.

In terms of novels, besides Trek and Who, does any other show exceed 35?

David

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »
DS had 33 Marilyn Ross novels, including the HODS tie in.
Lara Parker wrote 2 DS novels & Mark Rainey wrote one,
making it 36 total~~so far!

David

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
This may be the English teacher in me speaking, but House of Dark Shadows is not a novel.  A novel is a long work containing an original story. HODS is a novelization.  Star Trek novelized all of the original series episodes and Doctor Who noveilzied most, if not all of the original series episodes.  Help me out here, did Target ever get to the last few stories?  Some of the Douglas Adams stories were not released when I was collecting them.  I think a Dalek one or two were also lacking.

Dark Shadows: The Interrupted Voyage is a borderline case.  I count it as a novella.  By some standards of juvenile fiction though, it could be argued that it's novel length.  I count it as a novella, since a quick word count and readability analysis reveal it to have roughly half the text of a Ross novel.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »
did Target ever get to the last few stories?  Some of the Douglas Adams stories were not released when I was collecting them.  I think a Dalek one or two were also lacking. 
OT briefly, to say that the three Douglas Adams stories and the two 80's era Dalek stories by Eric Saward were not novelized, in both instances I think the author and publisher could not agree on money (mainly Target would not have been able to pay a reasonable fee for a bestselling author, with Adams also not willing to allow his work to be novelized by someone else, IIRC, and Saward not willing to negotiate on on his fee either).
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
In terms of novels, Buffy and Angel both have a number of novels based from the TV series, with Buffy having quite a few more than her spinoff.

And in terms of the Jossverse:

Buffy had a movie and a TV show, as well as a number of novels and comic books tying into it, not to mention the Animated Series that didn't get off the ground, but which went into production, and I believe 3 video games.

Angel was the spinoff of Buffy and had a TV show, novels, and comic books, and speculated TV movies which you can't really count because nothing other than discussion went on there.

Serenifly had a TV series: Firefly, and a movie, Serenity, as well as a couple of novels (or so I hear) and a comic book series.

Of course, if you're just talking television series and movies, then these don't come close to other shows, but the Jossverse has definitely lasted beyond it's television status. And more books and comics for each series are coming out and being planned each year.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »
The Outer Limits has had two versions (both very well done), One Step Beyond had a rather banal remake, there was a second Alfred Hitchcock Presents (with archival tape introductions from the host, since he had long since moved to the great beyond) and now there's the second version of Battlestar Galactica.  Oh, and In Search Of... has what seems to be an on-again/off-again remake.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 12:32:17 AM »
Suddenly I begin to understand why, when I turn on the television, I can never find anything new worth watching........ :P.......
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

David

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 01:55:03 AM »
Don't forget DS' 4th incarnation, the 1980s off-Broadway stage show!

David

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »
DS probobly has more hours on the AIR I don't know any other cult shows that has so many. Only
Soap Opera on DVD.  Also you forgot about the Music Box, The Cane, The ring,  Records, How about the View Master Reals, Bubble Gum Cards, Pillows, Game.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate