Author Topic: Converted Characters!  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Converted Characters!
« on: May 04, 2002, 11:24:08 AM »
Im not sure if this one has been done before, so I thought I'd give it a try. We've all seen certain characters during the course of the show whose personalities have done a complete about face.  Some started out good, only to turn evil later on, and others who started out mean, greedy or just plain evil, then suddenly change to being good. Can anyone name who these characters were and the circumstances surrounding them?
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Converted Characters!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 01:57:42 PM »
SPOILER........

Two obvious characters changing from evil to good are Angelique and Jeb Hawks. Angelique, the compulsive and jealous witch of 1795, did a total turnabout lifting the Vampire curse from Barnabas and putting herself at risk by saving Quentin and Desmond from execution in 1840RT. Jeb Hawkes' love for Carolyn Stoddard changed his evil Leviathan ways.

An example of going in the opposite dirction from good to evil is Nathan Forbes. His plain greed brought about the change.There is also Gerard Stiles (another good to evil character) due to possession by Judah Zachery. However the best example in this category was the Jekel/Hyde
character Cyrus Longworth/John Yaeger. Here was the wish to experiment and uncover a dark side of ones personality.

Is this what you want Cassandra? I tried to keep it short because you could write volumes as an answer.

I'll leave some of the details for the other posters...... ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 03:21:02 PM »
Excellent answers, VAM!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS. . .

Barnabas underwent the greatest change.  From a vampire filled with revenge and evil, he morphed into an anti-hero who traveled through time to save the Collins family--even while constantly dealing with his own demons and on-again, off-again vampire status.

Quentin, too, changed from a terrifying, evil ghost into a friend and saviour of the family, and helped Barnabas and Julia thwart the Leviathans.

Willie Loomis was nothing but a two-bit hood until he was taken under Barnabas' (bat) wing.  He was still crazy, of course, but he did become a good guy as the story wore on.  I still recall, wistfully, Willie telling Julia that he was engaged to a gal named Roxanne, saying that they probably thought no one could love old Willie.  He was so happy!

Love, Robin  

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 09:35:53 PM »
SPOILER........

Two obvious characters changing from evil to good are Angelique and Jeb Hawks. Angelique, the compulsive and jealous witch of 1795, did a total turnabout lifting the Vampire curse from Barnabas and putting herself at risk by saving Quentin and Desmond from execution in 1840RT. Jeb Hawkes' love for Carolyn Stoddard changed his evil Leviathan ways.

An example of going in the opposite dirction from good to evil is Nathan Forbes. His plain greed brought about the change.There is also Gerard Stiles (another good to evil character) due to possession by Judah Zachery. However the best example in this category was the Jekel/Hyde
character Cyrus Longworth/John Yaeger. Here was the wish to experiment and uncover a dark side of ones personality.

Is this what you want Cassandra? I tried to keep it short because you could write volumes as an answer.

I'll leave some of the details for the other posters...... ;)

Absoluteley Vam!! You answered it wonderfully! Great answers. Thanks!! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 10:47:21 PM »
Burke Devlin made quite a transformation.  He started out as bitter and revenge-driven, bent on destroying the Collins family by any means necessary, and eventually became the good-guy boyfriend of Vicki.

Unfortunately, this transformation was accompanied by a change in actors which also made the character much more boring.  I think if Mitch Ryan had remained in the role, Burke, while being a good guy, still would have retained a bit of an edge.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 04:36:41 AM »
I'm too late for the most obvious ones. I always thought Quentin's was an amazing transformation, AND the way it was handled, you could actually believe it. Quite an accomplishment.

What about Roger and David? Roger never made a complete turnaround, but he certainly didn't remain a villain. And David actually became a regular bratty kid, instead of the spawn of Satan as he started off.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 08:16:53 AM »

. And David actually became a regular bratty kid, instead of the spawn of Satan as he started off.

LOL!! That was cute Kuanyin!! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 08:20:41 AM »
I also didn't care too much for Mrs.Johnson's character in the beginning. She started out being a spy for Burke Devlin and only took the Maid's job at Collinwood just to spy on the family and give information to Burke.  Later on, she became like one of the family, a wonderful devoted woman who loved the Collins' family like one of her own. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 07:38:16 PM »
I also didn't care too much for Mrs.Johnson's character in the beginning. She started out being a spy for Burke Devlin and only took the Maid's job at Collinwood just to spy on the family and give information to Burke.  Later on, she became like one of the family, a wonderful devoted woman who loved the Collins' family like one of her own. ;)

Welll with a son like Harry .. she had to branch out. .
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2002, 04:02:46 AM »

Welll with a son like Harry .. she had to branch out. .

That's rich J99 kinda makes you wonder what the daughter was like!Poor MrsJ!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2002, 12:00:36 AM »
Being a Willie fan, I think he changed as well. He started out as a two-bit criminal looking for the fastest fix to his money problems but turned into a kind, caring character always on the look-out for Maggie and Vicki so they wouldn't get mixed-up in any of Barnabas' schemes.  Most of Collinsport thought of him as drifter, shiftless, and a bounder but he really had a heart and a soul to save the Collins family from one of their own.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2002, 02:03:54 AM »
This may not be the answer you're looking for, but . . .

Maggie Evans started out quite differently than she ended up. Orginally thought to be a no-nonsense, advice giving coffee pourer at the local coffee shop at the Inn - KLS wrote that director Lela Swift saw the character as a "young Eve Arden." I was suprised in the early episodes to learn it was Maggie who initiated the relationship with Joe. Even while he was still entangled with Carolyn Maggie coyly suggested to him that he find another girlfriend - then went about making herself available!

Unfortunately, Maggie disintigrated into a weak victim type. Of course, being bitten and kidnapped by a vampire can bring down the strongest of women, but considering she was hypnotized to forget the ordeal - more than once - I would have expected her to regain some of her "snap." She never did. By the time she left town she was positively insane, rambling, incoherent and without a clue. Truly sad. :'(

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2002, 02:12:58 AM »

It's only been during this current run on Sci Fi that I finally got to see the early, pre-Barnabas episodes. It was a real eye-opener seeing how Mrs. Johnson started out! There was a lot more "Abigail" in her than I ever knew! I thought she was hysterical - one of the real bright spots of this early story line.

I was also surprised at how much I disliked Carolyn in the beginning. She, too, had a lot of her 1795 counterpart Millicent in her - really dingy and ditzy. I did not enjoy EarlyCarolyn.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2002, 02:51:08 AM »
SPOILER........
There is also Gerard Stiles (another good to evil character) due to possession by Judah Zachery.

I might question this one, VAM.  Gerard Stiles wasn't exactly what you'd call a "good" or "nice" man even before he became possessed by Judah Zachary. Remember, he also used an alias and was involved in pirating!  The "Nancy Barrett" character in that storyline charitably referred to him as a "hustler" or some such (I know that wasn't the term used, but something like that) but claimed he wasn't evil.  Even that characterization of him is somewhat questionable, though, IMO.

My vote for one of the most dramatically changed (and least believably changed) characters is the servant Beth in 1897.  Her switch from sympathetic, caring maid to handmaiden of the dastardly Count Petofi was hard to swallow.  I suspect it had less to do with her intrinsic character and more to do with the decision to extend the 1987 storyline (too much so, IMO).

:)

Great topic, Cassandra!  I, too, am glad that some of the characters changed for the better (such as Mrs. Johnson and Carolyn), as you mention.

And even that a good, pure, innocent character, Rachel Drummond, remained true to her character (a very Dickensian character, much criticized on this forum, but that's another story ... though I'll just mention that I think it was KLS's most successful character other than Maggie).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2002, 03:32:08 AM »
Vlad ascribed:

I might question this one, VAM.  Gerard Stiles wasn't exactly what you'd call a "good" or "nice" man even before he became possessed by Judah Zachary. Remember, he also used an alias and was involved in pirating!  The "Nancy Barrett" character in that storyline charitably referred to him as a "hustler" or some such (I know that wasn't the term used, but something like that) but claimed he wasn't evil.  

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE That was Leticia!!! Leticia Faye, and she married Desmond!!!! YAAAAAAY! Actually I just ordered that tape!! *bounces excitedly* Daphne and Leticia and Leticia and Daphne ........ *walks off mumbling happily to herself*

*~*
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^