Author Topic: You can't take it with you...or can you?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: You can't take it with you...or can you?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
Granted, I watched the PT episodes several months ago, but I don't seem to remember any point in that storyline in which Barnabas went from wearing his coat in RT to PT without it. I'm pretty sure he was wearing it when he first travelled there in Ep #980 (repeated in Ep #981) and it made the crossover with him. And I could be wrong, but I don't think he was wearing it when he travelled from PT to RT and then back to PT in Ep #1031.

Now, one thing I do remember is that the coat definitely didn't make the journey from 1970PT to 1995RT. Though, of course, Julia was also with him at that time, so she couldn't have sent it to him even if she could have figured out how to get it 25 years into the future.  [wink2]

Perhaps Barn's coat arrived in 1995RT on a time-delay because it had to go through travelling-to-the-future customs.  ;D

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
I think it was some kind of sign that he was a gentleman or something. He didn't need it for walking though later we see him using it as he walked. It does give him a distinguished look.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
I think my favorite coat is the long Coat from 1795. I have always wondered where Barn went to get is Inverness, certainly in 1967 there was no inverness stores I don't think.  Coats like it became popular later. Maybe a DS effect.  :-X
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 06:40:37 PM »
 :) It sure looked like a warm coat. Roomy and comfortable.

Alondra

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:25 PM »
The really interesting thing about that cane is he NEVER uses it in 1795 UNTIL he's a vampire.

We may not have seen Barnabas with the cane when he was normal, but he must have already owned it.  When Nathan Forbes finds the cane on the docks after the attack on Maude, he recognizes it as belonging to Barnabas.  At this point, Nathan still believes the story that Barnabas went to England, so he couldn't have known about the cane unless Barnabas had it before he was a vampire.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »
Why does Barnabas even need a cane? (for real)

I think it was just a shameless ripoff of Larry Talbot's look in The Wolf Man.  Talbot, as the Americanized son of an English lord, carried a wolf's head cane, and he wore a hat and double breasted suit.  And it wasn't all that they copied from the movie.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:58 PM »
I think Jonathan Frid explained in an interview that the cane was just for show, prestige, showing of the times Barnabas came from...  JF bought the cane and ring as Barnabas' trade mark.
I'm not sure of that.  I am pretty certain I read or saw an interview where JF states that the ring was a very cheap ring with a green stone that the props department painted black.  I don't know about the provenance of the cane.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:01 PM »
I think it was explained in one of the DS books (DS companion or DS almanac) about the ring being something they bought at Woolworth's for all of a buck or something, it had a green stone and they painted it black. It must have turned JF's finger green lol.

Alondra

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »
I think it was just a shameless ripoff of Larry Talbot's look in The Wolf Man.  Talbot, as the Americanized son of an English lord, carried a wolf's head cane, and he wore a hat and double breasted suit.  And it wasn't all that they copied from the movie.
I'm positively stunned that DS would rip off anything from anyone.  :o

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
Wasn't that Claude Rains, thought?  I thought it was he who carried the silver wolf's head cane.  Was he not the one who beat his son to death with it?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 08:56:17 PM »
Wasn't that Claude Rains, thought?  I thought it was he who carried the silver wolf's head cane.  Was he not the one who beat his son to death with it?
Larry owned the cane but gave it to his father for his protection, knowing when he changed he might attack anyone.

ProfStokes

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:26 PM »
I think my favorite coat is the long Coat from 1795.

My favorite coat was the grey Inverness one he wore at the end of 1897 [spoiler]after he's cured and his doppleganger has been destroyed.[/spoiler]LOVE that coat!   ;D  In fact, his entire WARDROBE improved in 1897 after that as well.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 12:13:52 AM »
As far as his inverness coat, in 1897, Barnabas woke up in his coffin, in his body before he was released.  Didn't he have the coat then, as in buried with it?

Don't recall if he was chained in the coffin while wearing a 'coat', but it wasn't that coat, and wouldn't have been as he wore a green cloak in 1795.  ;)

As I recall, Barnabas was buried originally in 1795 in a rather fancy suit, with one of those lacy linen collars. There was no cloak. It was, for all intents and purposes, a suit jacket of the time. I do believe it was velvet.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 01:51:56 AM »
It may have looked like a coat because the clothes back then the guy's had very long jackets. Could have looked like a coat  8)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 03:13:51 AM »
As far as his inverness coat, in 1897, Barnabas woke up in his coffin, in his body before he was released.  Didn't he have the coat then, as in buried with it?

As I'm thinking about this now, I'm pretty sure that when [spoiler]Sandor releases Barnabas in 1897, he's wearing that green cloak from 1795.  I can 'see' him in my mind wearing it as he expresses shock that he's been chained in the coffin so long.  Or, was that 1840 when old Ben releases him?[/spoiler]Now I'm confused!   :-
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"