Author Topic: You can't take it with you...or can you?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
You can't take it with you...or can you?
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:27 AM »
This is my first time starting a topic so I hope I do it right.

I have often thought it rather amazing that every time Barnabas and Julia travel to parallel time or the past that they seem to have everything they need when they need it even though you didn't see them with it at the time they made the passing. For instance, Barnabas' inverness coat somehow made it to parallel time and 1897 though he was not wearing it at the time he sat down to do the I ching or when he entered the parallel time room. Julia when she came always seemed able to find her medical bag. The same is true for 1840.

Along this same line is something else I've always found rather amusing, when Barnabas becomes a bat and rematerializes as a man, he does so in his coat with his cane. How is it that he is able to carry these things when he is a bat? I know, it's just another one of those "Just accept it and don't ask any questions!" things. More of what makes the show so much fun.

Alondra
;D

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: You can't take it with you...or can you?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
Didn't you know that there is a magic transportion portal in the mausoleum. As for the inverness and the medical bag. Have you ever heard about instant cape and medical bag jusrt mix with water. Great topic.  ;D ;D
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:09:38 AM »
I thought it was funny in 1897 when Julia made the trip back and then magically had her medical bag AND her NEEDLE to give him injections to cure him once again. It's a good thing they don't cavity search while time-traveling.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:48:25 AM »
Along this same line is something else I've always found rather amusing, when Barnabas becomes a bat and rematerializes as a man, he does so in his coat with his cane. How is it that he is able to carry these things when he is a bat? I know, it's just another one of those "Just accept it and don't ask any questions!" things. More of what makes the show so much fun.

Maybe that explains how he's able to take a calf somewhere else, feed on it, leave no foot prints and confuse everyone.  He wraps the calf in his coat, changes into a bat and carries it off with his cane in tow.  Everything on his body becomes part of him as the bat?  [aprvy]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
Obviously, the curse and the various methods of time travel, included a cloaking device ... ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »
Maybe that explains how he's able to take a calf somewhere else, feed on it, leave no foot prints and confuse everyone.  He wraps the calf in his coat, changes into a bat and carries it off with his cane in tow.  Everything on his body becomes part of him as the bat?  [aprvy]

That's an interesting possibility. But in that case why would he need Willie to bring them to him or to go out to do something equally gross? Later on [spoiler]when he kidnaps Maggie from the hospital in those approximately 30 seconds between the time the nurse left the room and Dr. Woodard came in, I wondered how he was able to carry her out. That window was only open a few inches. This explanation would work for that. He appears in the room, takes her, disappears again with her in tow, and appears at the Old House.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
Barnabas' inverness coat somehow made it to parallel time and 1897 though he was not wearing it at the time he sat down to do the I ching or when he entered the parallel time room. Julia when she came always seemed able to find her medical bag. The same is true for 1840.

Well, actually, his coat DIDN'T make it to 1897, he had a different Inverness.  Remember, it had a different collar.  But it DID somehow get to PT.  I like to think that it got to PT this way--Julia, knowing he was in that time w/out his coat went and got it, presumably from the downstairs foyer coat rack, placed it into the room, the room changed and voila!  The coat was there!  Sorta like a transporter if you will.  And who knows, maybe Stokes did the same for her medical bag!  ;)

when Barnabas becomes a bat and rematerializes as a man, he does so in his coat with his cane. How is it that he is able to carry these things when he is a bat?

There's a REALLY funny Sherlock cartoon out there where he's in bat form, has his coat, ring and cane as he's flying around and the bat says, "Figure it out!"  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:22 PM »
That's an interesting possibility. But in that case why would he need Willie to bring them to him or to go out to do something equally gross?

LOL Why does anyone need Willie?  NO don't answer that... Seriously, if you can take any of this seriously, Willie was his servant and something had to be done.  Who knows what.  Maybe to bring his coffin to the Old House.  The idea grossed Willie because then it's ALL permanent in Willie's mind.

As far as his inverness coat, in 1897, Barnabas woke up in his coffin, in his body before he was released.  Didn't he have the coat then, as in buried with it?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »
As far as his inverness coat, in 1897, Barnabas woke up in his coffin, in his body before he was released.  Didn't he have the coat then, as in buried with it?

Don't recall if he was chained in the coffin while wearing a 'coat', but it wasn't that coat, and wouldn't have been as he wore a green cloak in 1795.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:56 PM »
Well another question would be, why when he was using the I ching the time he went back to 1897 did he appear in the chained coffin to begin with? I think it has to be because that's where he actually had been in 1897 as it was during the 172 years he was chained up. [spoiler]When Julia went back later on she just appeared in the woods I think. Remember when he used the I ching he wasn't exactly planning to go back in time, he planned to simply meet with Quentin and get him to release David from under his spell. So he wasn't thinking about a coat and cane. But it makes sense that since he appeared in the coffin he would have his coat and cane with him, I think they were buried with him.[/spoiler]

Alondra
[/b]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
IIRC the first time he was buried in the original 1795 arc he did have his coat on, but subsequent revists to that time and later times when he was let out of the coffin he either had a different coat or no coat at all. One thing I was impressed with was that in 1897 when he was let out of his coffin he was wearing the clothes he was buried in in 1795, NOT 1897 garb, which I fully expected him to already be wearing giving the continuity issues of the show.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »
Why does Barnabas even need a cane? (for real)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »
I think Jonathan Frid explained in an interview that the cane was just for show, prestige, showing of the times Barnabas came from...  JF bought the cane and ring as Barnabas' trade mark.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »

The really interesting thing about that cane is he NEVER uses it in 1795 UNTIL he's a vampire. 
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 06:13:27 PM »

Barn was mighty attached to that cane.  He didn't even drop it to try and save Josette from falling off the cliff!

nancy