Author Topic: Eve's obsession....  (Read 8802 times)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Eve's obsession....
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
Adam's not so bad. I liked him until Nicholas got a hold of him. While he was under Professor Stokes' influence he was becoming a nice guy. Enter Nicholas and all that changed, he became a jerk. He wasn't bad looking other than the scars. Give me Adam any day over Jeff Clark or any other Roger Davis character.

Well, obviously, I agree completely with that, Alondra -- LOL!

As far as Eve went, remember that Stokes said of her [spoiler]she was the most evil, most dangerous, and most POWERFUL woman of her time.[/spoiler]

Because of that, naturally she felt she could, once again, ensare Peter.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
I was surprised that Eve did not remember more of her past life.  I thought it was Nicholas' express desire for Eve to have the life force of someone evil that he could control.  It makes no sense (to me anyway) for Eve not to be alive with all the memories of Danielle/Leona.

But then again, we are talking about a man who expects to breed Adam and Eve like one would a pair of thoroughbreds, to create a race of superhumans to server his master and control the world, but picking apart that daft scheme is a subject for other threads ... :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »
Well, obviously, I agree completely with that, Alondra -- LOL!

I thought you might Adamsgirl. ;)

Alondra

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15:34 PM »
No, Lydia, you didn't come across as harsh. It didn't much matter what you wrote because it seems that we are both in agreement that the Eve storyline was quite preposterous in the first place, so the more minute details make no nevermind.

But, what you DID do was portray Eve's line of thinking, when seems rashional when you explain it, but while watching it seemed quite the contrary.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:17:09 PM »
am i forgetting something?

wasn't danielle as well as eve played by marie wallace?if i'm remembering this correctly except for the clothes eve and danielle looked exactly alike. ???
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 07:54:48 PM »
I have to agree that eve period is horrible. Marie Wallace is such a good actress but i dont like her as eve. The whole adameve period was so boreing. the only thing i like was that my fav character of all time was on Nicholas Blair. [spoiler]I was very sad lolll when nicholas died.[/spoiler] I have said this before Dan Curtis did not use Humbert Allen Astredo talent enough on dark shadows. I like adam in the begining to when he is just learning to talk and all. but as much as i love nicholas he did ruin adam!!

Evan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
wasn't danielle as well as eve played by marie wallace?if i'm remembering this correctly except for the clothes eve and danielle looked exactly alike.

[spoiler]Your confusion is understandable. But Leona Eltridge was the real Danielle. However, when Eve went back to 1796, Danielle looked just like Eve to the audience.  :-   Presumably, though, she looked like Leona/Danielle to everyone else - especially since Peter and Ben recognized her.[/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
Adam's not so bad. I liked him until Nicholas got a hold of him. While he was under Professor Stokes' influence he was becoming a nice guy. Enter Nicholas and all that changed, he became a jerk. He wasn't bad looking other than the scars.

That's what I say too. Adam really was a sweet, innocent, lovable kind of lug until he crossed paths with Nicholas. I lost a lot of the affection and sympathy I felt for him at the beginning of his storyline once he [spoiler]kidnapped Vicki, then tried to strangle her, then kidnapped her AGAIN![/spoiler] When he did those things, it was a real struggle not to hate his guts at that point.

Still I think Adam was basically deep down a good guy who just fell in with the wrong crowd (Nicholas and Eve). Had he listened more to Professor Stokes instead of Nicholas who knows just how much better things would have turned out for Adam in the end.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 11:24:30 PM »
And that green sweater Carolyn gave Adam, he never took that off either!
How quickly you forget Adam's PJs:

And the plaid shirt:

Yes yes, I remember those.  Once he recieved that sweater he didn't take it off until he got shot and ran to Stokes.  Thank god for the red plaid... it looked good on him too. Oh, so for once he didn't sleep in it either.  [clap]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
I was surprised that Eve did not remember more of her past life.  I thought it was Nicholas' express desire for Eve to have the life force of someone evil that he could control.  It makes no sense (to me anyway) for Eve not to be alive with all the memories of Danielle/Leona.

I agree, if the experiment had worked as Lang dictated on the recorder, she should have remember her previous life.  In which case why does Nicholas think he can control her?  She was uncontrollable during life in the past, she certainly wouldn't be controllable in the present.  What's to keep her from killing Adam and running away?  She certainly wasn't afraid of Nicholas nor beyond defying him.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 11:51:42 PM »
Is Eve just desperate or just plain stupid? I really don't understand her logic in all this.

Now I can come here, since in my viewing (first time since orig. airing) Eve is clearly gone... you know, who knows?  She could come back from anything on DS.   But anyway, as for the question asked, it's perfectly sensible.   People often wonder why an obviously unsensible character doesn't think or act sensibly.     People are different, with different views of the world and motivations than ours.

It's the most common thing in the world for one person to be so in love with another, or so infatuated, or fixated, or whatever (latter two in Eve's case I'm sure) that the infatuation is so overwhelming and so keenly felt by the first person, that he or she cannot imagine that the other person does not share in it.    This is experienced as something more solid than any logic.   I think that some people probably think of love as something separate from themselves, that exists "out there", in the space between the two people, or in a space enveloping the two people*, or else it wouldn't feel so enormous and "real".   What they feel is just inside themselves, though.

Besides, killers are selfish and self-obsessed.    They decide things for other people... whether they get to live, whether they're in love, whatever.   Not having the ability to call the shots doesn't occur to them.     Reality is what they say or think it is.

*Perhaps Prof. Stokes has a theory about this "love bubble".... an alternate state of existence that can't actually happen in our continuum....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 11:54:41 PM »
I agree, if the experiment had worked as Lang dictated on the recorder, she should have remember her previous life.  In which case why does Nicholas think he can control her?  She was uncontrollable during life in the past, she certainly wouldn't be controllable in the present.  What's to keep her from killing Adam and running away?  She certainly wasn't afraid of Nicholas nor beyond defying him.

Let's not forget that Nicholas was on a "mission" from his master, Diabolos. I think that's why he felt he could control her. He was the more powerful of the two. Silly man! He should have known he couldn't control a woman -- LOL -- just like the disaster with Angelique. He couldn't even control her when [spoiler]she was a vampire, even though he made her that way.[/spoiler]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
Let's not forget that Nicholas was on a "mission" from his master, Diabolos. I think that's why he felt he could control her. He was the more powerful of the two. Silly man! He should have known he couldn't control a woman -- LOL -- just like the disaster with Angelique. He couldn't even control her when [spoiler]she was a vampire, even though he made her that way.[/spoiler]

Yes Nicholas definitely had a hard time controlling the women in his life!   And he never learned... they both defied him constantly. [rofl10]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 05:32:26 AM »
How quickly you forget Adam's PJs

Oh, so for once he didn't sleep in it either.

Once that we know of. But even though we never saw it, somehow I feel we can infer that while Adam was living with Nicholas, he didn't sleep in PJs as simply a one-time thing. After all, in his own twisted way, Nicholas was schooling Adam to be a proper man. One may think that might have also included buying Adam some other clothes. But let's be serious about that - Nicholas wore the same suit day in and day out, so why would he teach Adam any differently?  ;D

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 07:46:18 AM »
Oh, so for once he didn't sleep in it either.
Once that we know of. But even though we never saw it, somehow I feel we can infer that while Adam was living with Nicholas, he didn't sleep in PJs as simply a one-time thing. After all, in his own twisted way, Nicholas was schooling Adam to be a proper man. One may think that might have also included buying Adam some other clothes. But let's be serious about that - Nicholas wore the same suit day in and day out, so why would he teach Adam any differently?  ;D

Actually I was speaking about Adam not sleeping in that "green sweater" but I don't mind imagining him not sleeping in his PJs or anything else for that matter. haha