Author Topic: Limbo!  (Read 3363 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Limbo!
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:29:57 AM »
I guess this is a "calendar event"... On the board it's 2007, and in my apartment, it's still 2006.   The 2006 topics have been archived acc. to the list of forums, with the current topics not listed by any year yet, but there, here, all the 2006 topics are still here.

All this will be over by the time anyone reads this, but I just thought I'd take a moment to smell the temporal limbo.    One seldom stops to take the time to enjoy the simple things in life, like when Time runs amok.

MB or Midnite is probably typing "2007" in at the top of this subforum as we speak, but I'm trying to enjoy this little moment where time isn't a fixed thing.   Maybe that's one reason I ilke DS.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Limbo!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:16:32 AM »
I'm with ya, Magnus. Coincidentally, Somewhere In Time is running right now on one of the cable stations.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 02:25:57 AM »
My layout still says it's 2006, but, not to ruin your fun, did you know that your Forum clock is set to GMT?  Open your profile's Look and Layout Preferences page and note the offset of 0 and display time.  For CST, the time offset would be -6 (Pacific time -8 and Eastern -5), and the display time will correct itself.  Happy New Year!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:47:14 AM »
My layout still says it's 2006, but, not to ruin your fun, did you know that your Forum clock is set to GMT?  Open your profile's Look and Layout Preferences page and note the offset of 0 and display time.  For CST, the time offset would be -6 (Pacific time -8 and Eastern -5), and the display time will correct itself.  Happy New Year!

I've always wondered why the time was always screwy on here, now I know why!  ;)  Will go change my time right now.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 03:16:38 AM »
I would like to put in a good word for good old GMT.  It is a wonderful, unifying concept, the Esperanto of time.  Very likely Diabolos's watch is set to GMT.

Of course I have my forum clock set to eastern time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:34:58 AM »
Man, is my face red.   I'm always a hog with the lasagna, let me just go wipe the sauce off...

There.   But unfortunately I then ate a salad and my head is entirely covered with bleu cheese dressing, about an inch thick, all the way around.  I had to create a passageway to breathe with a spoon.

But I digress.

It's a bit embarrassing about the clock, but it was worth it for the disorientation tonight.    As for unification, I think we should go back to the old system, 19th century maybe, where every town you stopped at on the train had their own special idea as to what the time was.   And I want to make up my own language that only I understand, and forget English.   Babel Shmabel.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:50:44 AM »
I wondered about the time display for a long time, too, a LONG time! The solution for it was definitely not easy to find. I got it set to eastern time last summer when I spent a LOT of time exploring the forum prior to the fest. Happy New Year!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:09:34 AM »
Oh, the pain, barnbasjr!

There's always the Help section.   [bunny]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »
Oh, the pain, barnbasjr!

There's always the Help section.   [bunny]

I think I found it in the testing area. No criticism intended, but the help section has almost always been less than helpful, despite my fairly high IQ.  [13]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:24:37 AM »
It's 2007 in my apartment now.  Everyone can stop limboing.   I never started, but then everyone already knows from Caption This how low I can go.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
It's 2007 in my apartment now.  Everyone can stop limboing.   I never started, but then everyone already knows from Caption This how low I can go.

That was so smoothly done that I'm wondering if you had it planned when you named this thread.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
No criticism intended, but the help section has almost always been less than helpful

Really? I'm surprised you say that because I've thought it was fairly well written. But then, maybe that's easy for me to say because I work so closely with the system every day. However, the SMF developers have reworked the Help section for SMF 1.1, which we'll be upgrading to soon, so hopefully it will be an improvement for you. However, almost any questions/problems you might encounter have been discussed in multiple topics on the Testing board. After opening that board, just try typing a search term in the search box, and something is bound to come up for you. And if you ever need more of an explanation, please don't ever hesitate to start a new topic to post a question or two or three or...  [santa_wink]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:39:33 PM »
MB, I love your new avator and caption.  Forget the cheerleader indeed, snicker!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »
Forget the cheerleader indeed, snicker!

Well, don't get me wrong - I love Heroes. But that bit about forgetting the cheerleader comes from the article that the bottom part of the SIG links to on eWEEK's Web site. The article is written as a take-off of Peter's train encounter with the future version of Hiro. And it's actually quite funny if you watch Heroes[santa_grin]  If not, well, then all the jokes will go right over your head.  [santa_sad]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
Hey MB, what's your avator a picture of, or should I say, WHO is it a picture of?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"