Author Topic: Worst Scenes  (Read 3714 times)

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
Worst Scenes
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:01:12 PM »
Hi Cousins!

Name a scene that was a worst scene for DS.

dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Worst Scenes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
Hey, you first!

I block out the awkwardnesses and apparently succeed in forgetting them.  There are whole storylines but that doesn't count.    BC going "No!  It can't BE!!", probably in response to [spoiler]a vision of Julia's grave in 1840,[/spoiler] comes to mind, but JF wasn't thrilled with that line either I'd guess.

Any scene with BC terrorizing JH prior to 1795.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

David

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:10:49 PM »
I think the scenes with Julia & Barnabas as enemies do work.
It's always interesting to see relationships between characters change over a period of time, that's what makes good drama.
JF & GH played those changes beautifully.

Things that don't work:
the end of 1840, which made no sense & had really bad lines, like:
Stokes: "Well, there's food in the fridge, and that's a encouraging sign!"

And the sudden "Barnabas & Angelique in love" twist was absurd!

David

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:01:03 PM »
In 1897, when David has "the dream" and relates it to Barnabas.  It takes the whole episode, and I just found the whole thing very annoying.  The worst part was that every other epoisode in that entire DVD set was awesome, so that episode/scene really stands out like a sore thumb.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:55:08 PM »
the sudden "Barnabas & Angelique in love" twist was absurd!

I totally agree, that has to be THE worst story twist of the show... [spoiler]Barnabas deciding Angelique was the only woman he truly loved. Hello Barnabas, this is the woman who destroyed nearly all of your family back in 1795!(or 1796 or 1797 or whatever).[/spoiler]

And there are many things I didn't like about the 1970 Parallel Time story, but especially the marriage of Quentin and Maggie always bothered me.  I always hated the way Quentin treated Maggie and was too damn suspicious of her most of the time.  For someone who supposed loved his new wife more than his first one he was all too ready to believe the worse of her on the flimsiest of evidence. And Maggie didn't exactly give him the benefit of the doubt at times either.

And another one: [spoiler]when we learn from the ghost of Peter Bradford that Jeb Hawkes pushed Victoria Winters off Widows' Hill....this was an OUTRAGE!!!! Why oh why did they have to throw that in? Why couldn't they have left the  conclusion of the Peter/Vicki story as it was?[/spoiler]

Last but not least I know I am beating a dead horse with this one, but I feel many of you will agree with me on this, [spoiler]the unjustifable and unnecessary murder of Carl Collins at the hands of Barnabas! I will scream it from the top of my lungs: Barnabas WHY NOT JUST PUT CARL UNDER YOUR POWER?! YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO KILL HIM!!![/spoiler]

These to me qualify as DS' worst scenes.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:20:17 PM »
I think one of the WORST scenes ever was the scene where Megan Todd, in the Leviathan storyline, was running around in her shop at night getting scared of various animal heads and the clock chiming. Her acting was so over-the-top and awful when she did it at the end of one episode. It was only slightly better in the recap of it during the teaser of the next episode. Probably Marie's worst scene ever.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 04:12:06 AM »
It didn't even make sense, did it?   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 05:39:01 AM »
I didn't like anything that Peter/Jeff was in.  And I didn't like anything that Burke Devlin.  I just hated the way he "burst in to somebody else's house."  That just irk's me. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »
I'll keep it simple:  1968 stroryline, Harry Johnson vs Nicholas Blair.   [hall2_tongue]

Petofi

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
It didn't even make sense, did it?   

That would be no, no, and oh yea, no. I actually found the entire thing quite comical instead of frightening, so obviously the needed effect was not achieved.
Brandon Collins

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 07:29:01 PM »
unless that maddening "camp" theory some people have about DS is for real.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 02:12:24 AM »
I think one of the WORST scenes ever was the scene where Megan Todd, in the Leviathan storyline, was running around in her shop at night getting scared of various animal heads and the clock chiming. Her acting was so over-the-top and awful when she did it at the end of one episode. It was only slightly better in the recap of it during the teaser of the next episode. Probably Marie's worst scene ever.

i must confess i loved this scene. :-X

by this point the storyline was so over-the-top i sort of got into it.

if i'm remembering this correctly in this scene(or one very closed to it)megan(who's so tightly wound at this point she's ready to snap)decides she needed to try and "calm down" by finishing her cup of coffee(served in those brown and orange earthenware mugs i just spotted at the evans cottage during the laura collins story).

i was so like,megan,if you want to try and calm down have a cup of tea...or a glass of wine...or smoke some weed or pop a valium but do not try to calm down by drinking coffee!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 05:23:36 AM »
I have to admit that I did warm slightly to the scene during the second go-round which was shown as the teaser of the very next episode. Only slightly, mind you. I thought it was quite comical when she excitedly flipped through the phone book to find the number for pharmacy so she could find out if Phillip was on his way back from getting cigarettes yet. I was laughing both times they showed that scene, during that part of it.
Brandon Collins

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »
I couldn't watch most of the Adam experiment stuff. I was extremely dissappointed at the obvious copying of "Frankenstein" and sad to see poor Barnabas repeating "experiment" over and over again and see him lying down on those ridiculous medical beds down in the Old House. And especially after the high-quality work done by everyone in 1795 and early Barnabas.

I'd say ANYTHING to do with the Adam/Barnabas experiments. No-one to blame but the writing team. Simply awful!

Para L. Time

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 07:42:57 PM »
Any scene with Laura Collins in 1897. Woman was a world-class bitch, yo! This was my first go-round, so I didn't want to miss anything. But whenever I saw that she was going to be in an episode, I inwardly cringed. That voice, that mole, the condescending attitude! I was so happy when she met her fiery demise. When I finish the 1897 storyline, and write up a full report on my first impressions, I'll have to include my dislike for anything Laura in 1897. At least Angelique was happy and seductive when she was being mean to others. Laura was just mean and miserable.