Author Topic: Has Anyone Heard Anything About 2007?  (Read 13728 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Has Anyone Heard Anything About 2007?
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »
I've been trying to stay current and I swear I did a search of the site before posting this.  But, since I wasn't successful in finding anything I thought I would just ask ... has anyone heard anything at all (rumor or fact) concerning a DS fest/weekend in 2007?  I kind of doubt I will be able to make it there regardless yet - it always makes me feel good to know that they're still going strong.  Also, I enjoy reading the reports and viewing the photos.  Any information anyone might have is appreciated.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Has Anyone Heard Anything About 2007?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
I haven't heard nuthin. Notta. Zippo. I checked the Fest site the other day and there wasn't anything on there about somethingin 07, so I guess they don't have anything planned yet. Hopefully sometime early in the year we will hear of something because I'd like to go again.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:38:17 PM »
I haven't heard anything either, but BELIEVE me--if the stars got stuff to hawk, they'll be a Fest!  Even if they (KLS) have to take it over themselves!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:31:24 PM »
Since it's been awhile since this was asked, thought I'd bring it up again...does anyone know if the Fest will be on the west coast in 2007? (She asked, hopefully...)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:17:45 PM »
does anyone know if the Fest will be on the west coast in 2007? (She asked, hopefully...)

There's been no word of a future West Coast Fest.  Actually, no announcement has been made yet about the next Fest.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »
Me thinks it's either one of two things: there will not be any more fests until the series is picked up again.  The 40th anniversary gathering was dismal in terms of numbers. Very dismal.  The fest had to have lost money on that deal.  The other possibility is that there is something in the works and there is waiting to see what firms up.  But it would not surprise if that failed there are not more fests until the series is back on TV.

Nancy

There's been no word of a future West Coast Fest.  Actually, no announcement has been made yet about the next Fest.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 04:52:38 AM »
has anyone heard anything at all (rumor or fact) concerning a DS fest/weekend in 2007?

I apologize, CastleBee, but in hindsight I realize I should've spoken up about this sooner, but posting rumors is against Forum policy.  I'm so sorry!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:53 AM »
Me thinks it's either one of two things: there will not be any more fests until the series is picked up again.  The 40th anniversary gathering was dismal in terms of numbers. Very dismal.  The fest had to have lost money on that deal.  The other possibility is that there is something in the works and there is waiting to see what firms up.  But it would not surprise if that failed there are not more fests until the series is back on TV.

That's very distressing news, Nancy.  While the 2006 Fest was not as crowded as the 2003 "Farewell Fest," I was under the impression that the hotel was sold out and the turnout was respectable. How dismal were the numbers relative to other years when the show was off the air (e.g. 2005 in Hollywood and 2004 in Tarrytown)?

Also, is there currently an active push to get the show televised again, or are the Powers That Be waiting for a network to make an offer?

Finally, what can we fans do to help ensure the continuity of the weekend gatherings?

ProfStokes

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 06:09:21 AM »
Finally, what can we fans do to help ensure the continuity of the weekend gatherings?

Winning Powerball? [santa_wink]
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 06:28:18 AM »

Hi Nancy. I am a bit surprised that you feel that the last Fest was not well attended. The particular venue was selected by the Festival and I assume that it was selected because they wanted to avoid a huge turnout-one that it could control. I thought like ProfStokes that the Fest was well attended perhaps better than expected despite the lack of media promotion.
The Festival is a not for profit entity but I would hate that it in fact actually lost money.
I assume that when you mention that there will not be anymore Festivals until the series is picked up again that you are referring to the classic series and not to another new series that may be in the works; the latter would also give impetus to future Festivals?

Happy New Year to everyone here at the Board!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
It's nice to see you, jimbo, and Happy New Year to you, too!

The 40th anniversary gathering was dismal in terms of numbers. Very dismal.  The fest had to have lost money on that deal.

Weren't there more guests than fans?  Oops, just kidding, but I was surprised that an anniversary/NYC Fest attracted only 1200 attendees, especially considering the size of the guest list, which even included some first-timers (Donna McKechnie, Betsy Durkin).  Wasn't there something like 17 actors/VIPs on the guest list?  Most of them were selling items, and the charity did very well thanks to the auctions (in particular, the Barnabas portrait), but I do wonder how well the Festival did once all its debts were paid.

I wonder if many of the fans who chose not to go were holding out for a bigger guest star, such as Frid or Moltke.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
i've only been to three fest(2003/06 brooklyn and 04 tarrytown)so i don't have alot to compare it to but i thought it seemed like a well attended event as far as a forty year old soap opera is concerned.it seemed better attended than tarrytown to me.

plus it seemed like there were more new offerings with the books and audiodramas and whatnot than ever.

but it will be a big disappointment if there isn't one next year.as far as frid and moltke go if they didn't attend the fortieth anniversary i doubt they'll ever attend.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 08:43:04 PM »
It's nice to see you, jimbo, and Happy New Year to you, too!

The 40th anniversary gathering was dismal in terms of numbers. Very dismal.  The fest had to have lost money on that deal.

Weren't there more guests than fans?  Oops, just kidding, but I was surprised that an anniversary/NYC Fest attracted only 1200 attendees, especially considering the size of the guest list, which even included some first-timers (Donna McKechnie, Betsy Durkin).  Wasn't there something like 17 actors/VIPs on the guest list?  Most of them were selling items, and the charity did very well thanks to the auctions (in particular, the Barnabas portrait), but I do wonder how well the Festival did once all its debts were paid.

I wonder if many of the fans who chose not to go were holding out for a bigger guest star, such as Frid or Moltke.

My theory on all of this is that JP and company wanted to have a crowd that they could control and create the appearance of order (half joking).They intentionally picked a small venue and provided zero media promotion for the milestone event. They could have generated a marketing campaign via the media if they actually wanted a bigger crowd. So I don't know if it is all about breaking even or whatever. I believe the venue was large enough for the Fest to at least break even if that was its goal (the auditorium was filled to capacity for the main events).
Only the people who work for the DS Festival know if the 40th Festival was a disappointment from a financial perspective. I assume that DCP or whatever it may be called, provides some funding to the Fest(?). In any event, it is clear that something positive has to happen in 2007 ie... the classic DS broadcast on a network or a new DS series/movie, to enhance the possibility of having more Festivals.

Midnite, sorry we did not get a chance to talk much at the Fest-perhaps at the next one. Have a Happy New Year!
Jimbo

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »
My theory on all of this is that JP and company wanted to have a crowd that they could control and create the appearance of order (half joking).They intentionally picked a small venue and provided zero media promotion for the milestone event.

Let's keep in mind that New York City is probably the most expensive city in America to hold an event like this.  I would be very surprised if the choice of venue wasn't influenced by that fact.  Brooklyn hotels are certainly (slightly) less expensive than those in Manhattan.  The same thing with media promotion.....could there BE a more expensive media market than NYC?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 11:05:44 PM »
My theory on all of this is that JP and company wanted to have a crowd that they could control and create the appearance of order (half joking).They intentionally picked a small venue and provided zero media promotion for the milestone event.

Let's keep in mind that New York City is probably the most expensive city in America to hold an event like this.  I would be very surprised if the choice of venue wasn't influenced by that fact.  Brooklyn hotels are certainly (slightly) less expensive than those in Manhattan.  The same thing with media promotion.....could there BE a more expensive media market than NYC?

Very true. My statement you quoted was not made in a negative context. It was in response to another poster(s) who indicated their belief that the attendance was not what the Festival was looking for. My point is that the organizers wishing for a larger crowd may have selected to pick a larger venue and market the event. I am not critizing the path the organizers had taken. The question here is the DS Festival content with the Festival's last turnout and will there be other Festivals in the future?