Author Topic: Barnabas' PJ's  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Barnabas' PJ's
« on: May 01, 2002, 05:55:12 PM »
I'm sorry, it just seems so weird with Barnabas laying in that hospital bed in him jam-jams.  It didn't bother me when he wore his eighteenth century retirement attire, but just seeing him in those Kresge's clearance table specials was just - well - I don't know.  (At least they're better than one of those hospital gowns which allow everyone to see your business when you bend over.)  It makes me ponder - did he ever wear jammies when he retired to his casket?  Can anyone imagine him heading down those cellar steps, bushy bedroom slippers on his feet, winding an alarm clock and setting it next to the coffin before he closed the lid?

Gerard

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas' PJ's
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 06:41:25 PM »
::) I thought Barnabas wasn't capable of consciousness during the day, and yet he wakes up in the hospital at 4 in the afternoon? Does this seem incongruous to anyone else?
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 07:10:50 PM »
Gerard,

Maybe Mr. B. sleeps au naturel in his coffin?  Come to think of it though, it would probably get mighty chilly sleeping in that pine box in that damp, clammy Old House basement with just your birthday suit on.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, president of the Collinsport Committee for Clothing Optional Bathing at the beach at Findley's Cove.

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 07:18:56 PM »
::) I thought Barnabas wasn't capable of consciousness during the day, and yet he wakes up in the hospital at 4 in the afternoon? Does this seem incongruous to anyone else?

I always assumed it was a result of the treatments Dr Lang has begun administering to him.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 07:28:48 PM »

It is called suspension of belief!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 08:03:46 PM »
Actually, VAM, it's suspension of DISbelief....and much has been required of us already....and we're only 2 days into 1968!!!

Now, I'm old enough to remember 1968, and while I didn't spend much time in hospitals, I'd bet this month's mortgage payment that they never had sheets in those colors in any hospital around here!!!

Obviously the same demented set decorator that picked acid green and day-glo orange candles for the 18th century has been wandering around the Domestic Linens department in the same Kresge's from whence came Barnabas' PJ's.  The only thing that hasn't shown up yet (I'm almost afraid......) is the gawd-awful afghan!!

On the other hand, that little white dresser in Vicky's hospital room is currently for sale on page 53 of the latest Pottery Barn catalog....$849!!......I swear on a stack of scripts!!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2002, 11:18:29 PM »
I think the real question here is boxers or briefs?

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 01:16:30 AM »
Boxers or briefs?  LOL!  As IF we'd ever be privy to that!

It DOES seem weird to see Barnabas in pajamas.  We're used to seeing him dressed in three piece suits, so this decidedly casual attire seems totally out of place on this formal man from another time.  

We figure when he was admitted to the hospital, surely he was undressed and placed into a hospital "johnny," one of those backless horrors that lets it all hang out!  I shudder to remember my own experiences in such awful things, revealing God knows what to strangers.  I still remember ringing for a nurse to empty a bedpan during one of my hospital stays and was horrified when I realized the young woman who responded to take away my bedpan used to sit behind me in math class!  Oh, the shame!

Back to Barnabas--his ability to still be "awake" at four in the afternoon will be explained in full tomorrow--and it's a really cool episode, too!

Love, Robin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 01:28:54 AM »
Okay, who the hell added the flame thrower and the "Skating on Thin Ice" and the rest of the stuff I've never had on my posts before?

Is modifying someone ELSE'S posts allowed around here?  Will I be finding things I didn't WRITE on my posts next?

Rainey.....who is not amused.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 03:16:05 AM »
Okay, who the hell added the flame thrower and the "Skating on Thin Ice" and the rest of the stuff I've never had on my posts before?

Is modifying someone ELSE'S posts allowed around here?  Will I be finding things I didn't WRITE on my posts next?

I'll never tell[angryf]The SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2002, 03:33:13 AM »

Raineypark, only an administrator and a member can change a profile, and only an administrator can add a custom title.  I first saw the changes when I was reading the topic about the forum logo and assumed there was some good natured teasing going on.  I promise you that this wasn't hacking.

Only the member that wrote a post and a forum administrator can modify a post.  I might edit to repair YaBB code, edit spacing, or add spoiler warnings without saying anything, but if content is ever modified, you have my assurance that administrators will inform the author as to exactly what was edited and why.

If you're still feeling that way, please contact me and I'll try to help.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2002, 03:51:13 AM »
This Rainey was amused, heh heh. That's one mean flamethrower!  ;D

[shadow=red,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2002, 05:11:21 AM »
That looked like a bathrobe to me and not P.J.'s.  I also thought he should have been in the lovely creation of a jonnie.  

My daughter use to love the "paper dress"  they let her wear when she went to the doctors.

Birdie--who thinks must have  been boxers.   My dad wore those and Barnabas was an old fashion guy.  Now my sons wear those.  Was that one of the things I wasn't suppose to mention.   Isn't it great when a mom can embarass their children
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2002, 06:11:51 AM »
Hey Gang,

When you are an overnight patient in the hospital, you learn (rather quickly) to overcome any feeling of embarrassment as a result of some necessary medical procedure.

It's rather difficult for a guy to maintain his dignity when a rather large, middle-aged female nurse comes into your room and tells you to rollover on your side, so that she can take your "temperature."  What's a guy supposed to say to the nurse while she's "checking" your body temperature, "Hey, how did the Mets and Yankees do tonight?"

I can just imagine if that Nurse Ratched lookalike came into Barnabas' room to take his "temperature."  As the nurse "checked" him out, Mr. B. would probably look at her with an insouciant expression on his face and say, "You should feel honored, nurse, I usually only let Dr. Hoffman perform this test on me."

Bob the Bartender, who shudders when he remembers those mass Army physicals.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2002, 07:13:52 AM »
I'm sorry, it just seems so weird with Barnabas laying in that hospital bed in him jam-jams.  It didn't bother me when he wore his eighteenth century retirement attire, but just seeing him in those Kresge's clearance table specials was just - well - I don't know.  (At least they're better than one of those hospital gowns which allow everyone to see your business when you bend over.)  It makes me ponder - did he ever wear jammies when he retired to his casket?  Can anyone imagine him heading down those cellar steps, bushy bedroom slippers on his feet, winding an alarm clock and setting it next to the coffin before he closed the lid?

Gerard

ROTFL Gerard

but have to add it is much easier to care for patients when they "johnies' on and we do provide pants
but   want to know if Kresges is still around. i don't think i've heard that name in 30 years!
Barnabas did look cute though but i did laugh to think of a vampire in pjs!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV