Author Topic: Favorite line of dialogue?  (Read 6349 times)

David

Favorite line of dialogue?
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »
Crazy Jenny in the tower:

"I saw you walking in the garden!
 And you were wearing MY GREEN DRESS"!!

To me, no other line in the show's history captures Dark Shadows' campy, over the top aspects.
And to be honest, DS, while brilliant in parts, is also VERY
campy in parts (which is why we love it, right?)

David

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite line of dialogue?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:39:31 PM »
And to be honest, DS, while brilliant in parts, is also VERY campy in parts (which is why we love it, right?)

Not necessarily. Check out:

Acting natural

As for favorite lines, one of mine would definitely be from 1970PT Ep #989 where Will asks Carolyn:

What would the local society editor think if he knew the former Carolyn Stoddard has become intimate friends with a vampire?
I ask you, on what type of show other than one like DS could that not only make sense but be perfectly plausible?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:41:53 AM »
Judith to Quentin (1897):  "Keep it up, Quentin, and you'll end up with less than nothing."  To me, it was the way she delivered it, the climactic line in one of the best - if not the best - scenes ever filmed on the entire series.

Gerard

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:02:19 AM »
Quentin to Judith in 1897:

"Stop staring at me as if I were some kind of exhibit!" and "When you get down with the staff, perhaps we can all go upstairs and watch you write a check."

Nicholas to an aging Cassandra/Angelique in 1968:

"For once you will have to rely on your womanly charms.....what's left of them."

Offline CallieWL

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Tribute Page
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:37:43 AM »
Here Barnabas was totally honest with Vicki and about as sinister as you can get.
Barnabas:  "I am dedicated to seeing that people get what I think they deserve."

And one of the most poignant lines:
Willie: "I never knew how awful it was to be alone, till I wasn't."

But then there's also Barn's memorable:  "That night must go nothing wrong."  And while not good dialogue (because it's a goof), it's still one of my favorites!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:30:22 AM »
Boy is this ever the topic for me. I have a 5 page long list of some of my favorite lines from the show. Now, this list wasn't made from the beginning of the show to the end, or maybe it was. I don't remember. Feel free to steal from the list if there is one you like! Here's the list (or part of it, depending on whether or not I decide to stop typing lol):

"They say that a dead mans eyes see everything that he's looked at in life. I'd like very much to look through your eyes, Mr. Devlin, and see what it is you've looked at. I have a feeling it would be very informative." --Barnabas to Burke, 1967

"Several of my incestors--incestors, my ancestors are buried here." --Roger Collins, 1967   (one of my TOP Favs!)

"Nonsense, being seen together may even be the answer." --Quentin
"What do you mean?" --Beth
"Well, maybe we ought to let Judith begin to suspect us. It will occupy her mind for a while. Then, when her suspicions are confirmed, it'll give her a great feeling of triumph. At that point she's always easier to deal with." --Quentin, 1897

"We keep her looked in a room in the basement." --Judith
"Then how did she get through the door? By prayer and fasting?" --Quentin, 1897

"If you do one thing to interfere there will be a sacrifice and it will be you!" --Barnabas to Magda, 1897

"Judith didn't bring her back, she escaped." --Beth
"Oh? That's happening with frightful regularity." --Quentin
"Quentin be serious!" --Beth, 1897                                  

"Two minds with but a single thought, Jenny and me. When I'm not after he, she's after me!" --Quentin, 1897

"You don't want me to go with you because you love me, but I'm not sure you love anyone. You want me with you because you're the kind of person who can't ever be alone, or do anything alone. People don't mean anything to you Quentin. You use them. And when you're tired and bored with them, you discard them in favor of new ones." --Beth to Quentin, 1897.

"Let my voice be carried by the wind. Let it be taken to the surrounding countryside. Let it be heard by all the tribal cheifs and prophets. by the mast of the chains, but the guardian of the twelve days. I speak for one of us who has been struck down and for whom we must secure justice. Listen! Hear my words! Honor my wish! I place this curse upon Quentin Collins and on all his male kin of succeeding generations!" --Magda, 1897

"Don't like it at home, huh? What are you doing here? Is this a public house? You come and go as you please. You don't live here." Magda to Quentin, 1897

"A family matter? Well, I didn't know anyone thought me a member of the family." --Quentin, 1897

"Stop staring at me as if I were some kind of exhibit!" --Quentin, 1897

"If you'll turn down the lights. It'll make me feel better, and look better to!" --Pansy Faye, 1897

"Apologies are the devils invention. They just cover evil behavoir." --Minerva Trask, 1897

"She was my strength, you know. My whole reason for being. Her passing has left a void that will be impossible to fill." --Gregory Trask, 1897

"I need your help, oh Lord! Together we must help this poor afflicted woman possessed by an evil spirit of darkness. With your help, we shall drive the demon back into hell from whence it came!" --Gregory Trask, 1897

"Dear Judith, my poor client. She waited so long to marry, and when she did, she got you to take care of her. Tsk tsk." --Evan Hanley, 1897

"I have gone through great pain to disassociate myself from you and reestablish myself here in the household." --Angelique
"I am almost amused." -- Barnabas, 1897

"Then I was right with what I said earlier this evening." --Barnabas
"Right about what?" --Angelique
"Your feelings for Quentin. You made a bargain with him to spite me, not because you cared for him."
"No, you're wrong. I do care about him. I feel strangely sorry for him."
"You never felt sorry for anyone in your life."
"And you have never been willing to admit to yourself that I have feelings." 1897

"I don't think I can make it upstairs. I'm weak from the excitement of the Collinsport docks. Where are we going tomorrow night? The local cemetery?" --Amanda Harris, 1897

"You know, there is an essential difference between us. Your mind is having great difficulty adjusting to your new body, while mine is making the transition with incredible ease." --Count Petofi, in Quentin's body, to Quentin in Count Petofi's body, 1897

"Rubbish! Even the servants know of the relationship between you two. And you can believe me, if the servants know about it, you can be sure it's true!" --Edward Collins, 1897

"Death seldom shows us at our best." --Count Petofi, 1897

"Yes, I may have forgotten my life, but that portrait hasn't. There I am as I truly am. Every slice, every act of cruelty I ever committed is written into that face. Every cheat, every lie, ever sin, every trick! And yet you can still look at me?" --Quentin, 1970

"There should be a motto in our family emblem, 'Hypocrisy above all!'" --Carolyn, 1970   (Another fav of mine!)

"From tycoon to lackey. My how the mighty have fallen!" --Angelique, 1970

"This is all getting stickly lately, isn't it? ALl the pretending and the lies." --Carolyn, 1970PT

"Why do I always have to be the one to talk sense? To repeat what you've said to me?" --Julia, 1970

"Oh my, how analytical we've all become. Probing each others moods." --Quentin, 1970

"I don't like being laughed at." --Gerard, 1840

"You know Gabriel, for one lacking in charm, taste, and sultry, not to mention lack of style; being peevish, greedy and petty, you are quite remarkable." --Gerard to Gabriel, 1840    (another personal fav!)
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

David

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:13:07 AM »
The "dead man's eyes" speech is without question the best Barnabas line (to me at least)

Barnabas' best flub: (in 1897)
"Get Magda the myrhh.... and, well,,,,uh,,,,,,
all the things that she needs!"

David

David

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »
"Some of my incestors are buried here!!"

the best and funniest flub in TV history!
and dear Louis E. handled it so well, like the pro he was!

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:19:30 AM »
Oh, I just thought of some more, both from 1840:

Barnabas to Lamar:

"I have every intention of doing something for you in revenge for what you've done to me, but not now....I will let you wait and wonder and suffer.....knowing your time is coming but not quite knowing when."

I love that! Trask looked like a frightened little boy! Not that he didn't deserve it! Go Barnabas!

I also loved the exchange between Gerard and Gabriel after
[spoiler]the attempted murder of Gerard[/spoiler]

Gabriel: "Am I a suspect?"
Gerard: "I would love to accuse you Gabriel, IF you could walk."
Gabriel: "There are some virtues to being a cripple, one does not get unjustly accused. I do hope Mr. Stiles that no one attempts to strangle you in your sleep."
Gerard: "We both know even you could do that Gabriel."

I really do enjoy the sparring between Gabriel and Gerard, or Gabriel with anyone for that matter.

Oh, I just thought of another great Nicholas/Angelique exchange:

Angelique: "Was there ever a more conceited man than you?"
Nicholas: "One thing that can be said for me that can't be said for you, my dear, I never make the same mistake twice."

Oh how I really love all those scenes between Nicholas and vamp Angelique!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 05:47:44 AM »
And I don't remember a single one!   I must have seen them in 1968 though.

Brandon especially... thanks very much for the transcription of all those lines.    In recent years I'm too aware of the pressure and rush involved in making DS, when watching, that I miss the great dialogue when it happens.   It's a quiet little thing that can be overlooked as the big events rush by.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
Oh man! That "dead men's eyes" verbal joust between Barnabas and Burke, a fantastic scene and great writing all around.

Here are a few quotes that just popped into my head:

"The dead cannot have pity." - The ghost of Tessie Kincaid, 1897

"On your way to Grandmother's house and lo and behold, who should you meet but the big bad wolf?" - Quentin, 1897

"You've made me hate myself so much that I am able to kill you without doubt or thought." - Barnabas, 1795

"What's gonna happen to me me?"
"Well, I don't know, Willie.  That's sort of up to you, isn't it?"
"No.  No, it's not up to me."  - Jason & Willie, 1967

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 02:45:03 PM »
Barnabas to Julia, before the seance that sends Vicky to 1795: "I'll try to suppress my natural levity."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Literal LOL at that last one.    The chuckle factory that is Barnabas is closed.   More great quotes that rush by way too fast; thanks everybody.   Who says no one thought we'd be appreciating this years later?!   They wrote a lot of it is if we would be.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 04:04:51 PM »
This will, no doubt, be an ongoing post for me as I won't get them all here:

1897:
Quentin to Edward: You are everything the rest of us are not, strong, solid, upstanding.  And your mind is hermetically sealed!
(a paraphrase because I can't remember the word for word, sorry)

1841PT:
Morgan: Catherine loves me! 
Bramwell: Keep telling yourself that and it might come true!

Morgan: You've always been jealous of us Bramwell, you've always wanted what we had!
Bramwell: Catherine was mine!
M: Well, she isn't anymore.
B: She WILL be!

1968:
Nicholas to Angelique: My dear Cassandra, how commonplace you've become!  Worrying about little human problems like some suburban housewife!

Leviathan:
Nicholas: You've of course told him about your past my dear.
Angelique: No, I saw no reason to.
Nicholas laughs
A: What are you laughing at?
N: You!  How typically female!  You hide your own past from him, but you're FURIOUS w/him about his!

1840:
Angelique: I look forward to getting to know you, dear sister-in-law!
Julia: I know ALL about you now!

1967:
Joe: (referring to the mausoleum) I think we should check it out.
Roger: Have you gone stark raving mad?
J: You heard what he said Roger, he heard voices!
R: Of course he did!  He heard the pearl shaped tones of a spook saying boo!

Roger: Liz, shouldn't we ask cousin Barnabas to stay here?
Liz: How can we, when there are the two others?
R: Oh, THOSE two are of NO consequence and they can go anytime!
L: They are my guests and I'll decide how long they stay.
R: Now Liz, I'm not going to get into an argument w/you over those two, but Barnabas is a blood cousin and I think he should get more consideration than those two sea tramps!

Roger: Alright Kitten, let me get out my score pad and we'll go over the guests who are still ensconsed here.
Carolyn: Well, Jason is still here.
R: Check.
C: But Willie Loomis has gone.
R: Oh bravo!  You can't keep the jet set down can you?  Tell me, did he accept an invitation from the prince and princess of Monaco or could he simply not stand another one of Mrs. Johnson's famous boiled dinners!?

Think that's it for now.  More later I'm sure.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »
 [cheers] [cheers] [cheers]