Author Topic: Character's fate you would have liked to have changed...  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Character's fate you would have liked to have changed...
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 06:03:04 PM »
I rather liked the idea that Vicki and Jeff had children back in the 18th century, and that Victoria was their descendant.

Of course, that still doesn't explain much about the mailings of money from Bangor or the Collins family specifically hiring her...

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 06:23:44 PM »
You're right, they're dropping Vicki's whole parentage storyline was equally as bad. Poor Vicki never did find out who she was or where she came from.

I always like to think Elizabeth was her mother but for some reason Elizabeth had been forced to give her up. It's too bad the writers couldn't have followed through on this.  :(

I agree, and there's a .wav file out there somewhere in cyberspace of Joan Bennett saying something like [spoiler]'Speaking as Elizabeth, yes, I am Vicki's mother.'  There's also the often-told story of one of the reasons AM might have gotten the part was that she had a similar look to Joan Bennett[/spoiler]  Maybe that's not really a spoiler, but it's not like it takes rocket science to unveil it, lol!

I too was intriqued by Vicki's long search and never-answered questions [spoiler]not to mention her untimely and totally pointless death[/spoiler] and a bud of an idea began to grow as I was writing my first DS fan fiction.  Now the second one [book2]  "Hearts Restored" is well under way and through a different kind of flashback, the existence of a packet of old letters, a "new" old family friend, and a few more suprises, I am gradually revealing what I think is a plausible storyline for Elizabeth before she met Paul.

I shared my idea with Betsy Durkin when I met her at this year's fest in NY and she was very encouraging.  She had obviously thought long and hard about the character and was very interested to hear my theories.  (If anyone has an opportunity to meet Ms. Durkin at a future Fest or book signing, please do so.  She's a VERY warm and sincere person.  Everybody I encountered at the Fest and after who met her says,"Did you meet Betsy Durkin?  She so sweet! I LOVE her!!!)

But yes, to get back on track of the this particular thread, I would definitely have made (and am making lol!)  made some changes in Vicki's life.

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »
I rather liked the idea that Vicki and Jeff had children back in the 18th century, and that Victoria was their descendant.

We did another RR that dealt w/this idea.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 12:20:08 AM »
I agree, and there's a .wav file out there somewhere in cyberspace of Joan Bennett saying something like [spoiler]'Speaking as Elizabeth, yes, I am Vicki's mother.'  There's also the often-told story of one of the reasons AM might have gotten the part was that she had a similar look to Joan Bennett[/spoiler]  Maybe that's not really a spoiler, but it's not like it takes rocket science to unveil it, lol!

Indeed, that interview/revelation was filmed by none other than our very own Selby D. Pearson!  But I still don't buy that she was really Vickie's mother.  If you've seen the pre-Barn eps, just look at [spoiler]the portrait of Betty Hanscomb who Vickie could be a clone of!  I think Liz was her sister, that her father slept w/Betty, daughter of the butler Hanscombe and voila![/spoiler]

I shared my idea with Betsy Durkin when I met her at this year's fest in NY and she was very encouraging.  She had obviously thought long and hard about the character and was very interested to hear my theories.  (If anyone has an opportunity to meet Ms. Durkin at a future Fest or book signing, please do so.  She's a VERY warm and sincere person.  Everybody I encountered at the Fest and after who met her says,"Did you meet Betsy Durkin?  She so sweet! I LOVE her!!!)

She IS sweet isn't she?  Let's hope her appearance at the Fest and the ill-fated Halloween bash last week will mean she'll come back to another Fest.  She seemed to really enjoy herself and have fun.  And of course, if she made oodles of money...;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 03:12:58 AM »
...I still don't buy that she was really Vickie's mother.  If you've seen the pre-Barn eps, just look at [spoiler]the portrait of Betty Hanscomb who Vickie could be a clone of!  I think Liz was her sister, that her father slept w/Betty, daughter of the butler Hanscombe and voila![/spoiler]
Yes, I knew about that (lovely girl, terrible what happened) but my LIPS are SEALED until I finish the Vicki part of my saga.  [read3]
Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Para L. Time

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 03:38:05 AM »
In my story, Altered Shadows, in which Barnabas did not exist between 1840 and 1971, Victoria never went back to the past, and she discovered who her real parents were, even discovering she has a sibling right in Collinsport! I do believe that Joan Bennett wanted very much for Victoria to be her daughter, but I agree that she couldn't have been. Elizabeth knew who Victoria's parents were, and I'm sure that she sent her money all those years, and then gave her a job, because of her conscience, not because she was her mother!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 03:58:15 PM »
You know, I just reallized that I didn't seriously ring in here!  The character whose fate I would have changed would of course be BUZZ!  He was a true hepcat and very much w/the times of the late 60's, besides he was a hoot and a half who didn't take s*%# from anyone.  Can you imagine if he'd been around to interact w/Barnabas?!   ;)  I would have loved for him to become a regular character and to have a counterpart in 1795.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
I would have loved for him to become a regular character and to have a counterpart in 1795.

But what would his 1970PT counterpart been like? ... Hmmm - perhaps he could have been the Collinses dreadfully dull accountant.  [hall2_shocked]  But one who had secretly dreamed of a more exciting and freeing lifestyle, and with Angelique's help...  [hall2_wink]  After all, I'm sure Ang could have juggled at least one more man in her life.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »
But what would his 1970PT counterpart been like? ... Hmmm - perhaps he could have been the Collinses dreadfully dull accountant. 

But, we already had the dullard of 1970 PT in Cyrus Longworth!   >:D  (I actually liked Cyrus the best of this plotline, but he WAS dull).  It indeed would have been interesting to make Buzz the complete OPPOSITE of his RT character (again, assuming Michael Hadge had been signed to a long-term contract and hung around).  Maybe the shipyard foreman?  BTW, Bobubas and I were discussing this last night on the phone, just what did the family DO in PT (1970 AND 1841?)  Anyone have a guess?  For that matter, what did they do in RT 1840 & 1897?  The only clear info we have on the family business is 1795 (shipbuilding) and present day RT (cannery/fishing fleet).  But, I digress...Maybe in PT he could have been carrying on an affair w/Carolyn Loomis!  ;)  I always thought Michael & Nancy had pretty good chemistry (not as good as she had w/Johnny Karlen, but not bad).   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »
But, we already had the dullard of 1970 PT in Cyrus Longworth!

Well, Cyrus was more repressed than dull. And no one with that much interest/knowledge about the Occult could ever be truly dull.  ;)

No, compared to PTBuzz the Accountant, Cyrus, even in his own persona, would have been the life of the party.  :o  PTBuzz would have been the classic view of accountants taken to the extreme - well, if accountant and extremely dull aren't already completely synonymous for each other.  :D

Maybe in PT he could have been carrying on an affair w/Carolyn Loomis!

I like that!

I always thought Michael & Nancy had pretty good chemistry

Definitely.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »
PTBuzz would have been the classic view of accountants taken to the extreme

Okay, now I have a mental image of Robert Carradine in 'Revenge of the Nerds'!  <haw-haw-haw-haw-haw-Nerd Laugh!>   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
One character whose fate I would have changed would be Burke's.  First, I would have revealed that Barn had had a hand in Burke's plane going down, then in the tumult of vicki's return from the past and Jeff/Peter, a mysterious stranger would have come back to Collinsport, and Vicki would meet him and see Burke in this man's eyey, before finally revealing himself to BE Burke (recast), the only survivor of the crash, and how he looks different because the plastic surgeon that repaired his face didn't know what he really looked like.....

There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
one of the biggest misconceptions about the show is that barnabas was somehow invloved in burke's plane crash.

he wasn't.

sarah warned david and carolyn that someone was going to die.they heard it in the music.no one would cause it and nothing could stop it.then vicki heard the wailing of the widows.

goosebumps!

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2006, 05:52:02 AM »
one of the biggest misconceptions about the show is that barnabas was somehow invloved in burke's plane crash.

he wasn't.
Oh, I know he wasn't involved with Burke's death. I just thought it was so oddly random that Barnabas wants Burke out of the way and then voila!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »
Oh, I know he wasn't involved with Burke's death. I just thought it was so oddly random that Barnabas wants Burke out of the way and then voila!

I'm w/you Nelson.  I know Barnabas really had nothing to do w/the plane crash either, but, as the Church Lady would say, "How CONVEEEEEENIANT!"   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"