Author Topic: MOMMIE DEAREST  (Read 2624 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
MOMMIE DEAREST
« on: April 30, 2002, 03:14:00 AM »
With Mother's Day not far off, I thought it would be nice to ask all of you to  select the BEST DS MOM. Tell why one of the following individuals deserves that special honor:

Laura Collins
Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
Sarah Johnson
Naomi Collins (1795)
Edith Collins (1897)
Jenny Collins (1897)
Minerva Trask(1897)
Angelique Collins (1970PT)
Samantha Collins (1840)
Flora Collins (1840)
Josette Collins (1840)
Megan Todd
Flora Collins (1841PT)
Catherine Harridge Collins
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: MOMMIE DEAREST
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 03:18:45 AM »
I think the only one who qualifies as a good mom is Flora Collins in 1840, given how well rounded Desmond turned out to be. Second place might be Elizabeth, but she gets points deducted for how squirrely Carolyn turned out, not to mention her self-imposed life sentence of house arrest following the accidental "murder" of her husband, Paul Stoddard.

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 03:42:13 AM »
Chris_2 wrote:
Second place might be Elizabeth, but she gets points deducted for how squirrely Carolyn turned out, not to mention her self-imposed life sentence of house arrest following the accidental "murder" of her husband, Paul Stoddard.

Contains HUGE SPOILERS...

(You've been warned!)

LMAO!!!!! Squirrely.....*giggles hysterically*Did we ever c Catherine with her baby? I know she was married 2 Morgan and she had *GASP* Bramwell's baby....but....LOL I didn't think we ever saw it *born*

Out of the [few] I've seen, I'd have to say Josette Collins, because she actually put UP with Bramwell, and heeeey she was Melanie's mother, 2! Can't b anything wrong with that.....now the fact that she [Melanie] went insane was TOTALLY not her [Josette's] fault, it was STUPID BRUTUS!!! Grrrr.....But I'd hafta say Josette. I never really liked Flora much....JB's char's always seemed 2 stay the same 2 me....they all paced around anxiously and twisted and knotted their hands in2 pretzels and .... ughh  :o drove me nuts! I guess that's why I liked Naomi so much, she seemed kinda different from the normal Bennett char. Rambling again......

Josette Collins [1841PT]
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 05:54:03 AM »
It's fun being a Mother, greatest thing that ever happened to me! I vote for Sarah Johnson. She deserves that special honor because she's sweetie Harry's Mom. She made a cute one!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 09:01:59 AM »
It would be Naomi Collins for me!! That woman deserves a medal for all the crap she had to go through. Here she was, a very loving & caring woman, who had to deal with a fanatic & cruel sister in law like Abigail,[vryevl] and a husband who was insensitive to her emotional needs. You could see how very nuturing she was to her children and also anyone else who needed her help. She treated Vicky as one of her own while everyone else was against her. And hey, she was even kind to Angelique!! :o It's too bad that those around her didn't give her the credit she deserved. She could have probably run that household very nicely had she been given the chance.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 11:56:34 AM »
I, too, vote for Josette Collins (1841PT).  She was a sweet, tender, classy humble woman, a loving mom, an angel.

Gerard

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: MOMMIE DEAREST Laura Collins
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2002, 12:16:33 PM »
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

Laura Collins - Wanted to burn her own kid, but meant well.  No way!  No stars out of 5.

Elizabeth Collins Stoddard - The best of the lot, IMHO.  She shows her love for Carolyn over and over.  5 stars out of 5.

Sarah Johnson - Harry WAS a jailbird, so obviously all her religious claptrap didn't work on him! 1 star

Naomi Collins (1795) - A sweetheart who deserved better.  She loved her kids unconditionally and was treated very badly.  She gets 4.5 stars out of 5.  4.5 stars (misses 6 because of her booze problem).

Edith Collins (1897) - Sent her kids away to boarding school, you sensed she couldn't care less about 'em.  0 stars

Jenny Collins (1897) - Great singing voice, probably would have been a wonderful mom--if she weren't nuts.  Her kids were absolute dolls!  2 stars

Minerva Trask(1897) - Pushed daughter Charity to get married, but for all the wrong reasons.  No stars!

Angelique Collins (1970PT) - Loved her kid, but man, she was psychotic!  No stars.

Samantha Collins (1840) - Loved her son, perhaps too much, told a lie to her husband and was not to be trusted.  3 stars

Flora Collins (1840) - A funny, warm, wonderful mom, Desmond was evidence of a fine upbringing.  5 stars!

Josette Collins (1840) - One of the best, considering all the nonense she went through.  Loved the broody Bramwell and adored her daughter Melanie.  Great lady, but she did cheat on Barnabas.  4 stars

Megan Todd - Kissed her own child, but in her defense, she did have a lot of different  kids growing up too fast.  2 stars for effort.

Flora Collins (1841PT) - Don't remember her mothering much, but I do know she suffered by losing two sons very close together.  She gets 3 sympathy stars.

Catherine Harridge Collins ;) - We only knew of her kid in utero, and I only hope that, as a mother, she makes better choices--right off the bat!  4 stars for good potential.

And happy Mother's Day to ALL the moms out there!

Love, RobinAuthor, LAUGH OUT LOUDS FOR MOMS
(The perfect gift for a mom you love for Mother's Day!)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2002, 12:49:02 PM »

LMAO!!!!! Squirrely.....*giggles hysterically*Did we ever c Catherine with her baby? I know she was married 2 Morgan and she had *GASP* Bramwell's baby....but....LOL I didn't think we ever saw it *born*

Catherine is certainly a mother. Instead of carrying the baby outside it is inside ....and she decided to have it!
(I say 5 stars for good potential :))

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 04:52:07 PM »
I vote for Naomi Collins.  Despite all the sadness in her life, and the personal demons she faced, she was always a warm and loving mother.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 06:49:56 PM »
Hey Gang,

I have to agree with Craig Slocum.  Mrs. Sarah Johnson is the greatest Mom of all.

Think about it, she not only had to raise her son Harry (but, more about him later), she also raised a daughter whom, unfortunately, we never got to see.  (I wonder what Mrs.J.'s daughter was like?)  In addition, Mrs. Johnson never had the life of luxury that all of the other Dark Shadows mothers (with the possible exception of Maggie Evans' mother) had.

Mrs. Johnson was widowed at a very young age.  She had to raise two children on her own.  And she supported the family by working as a cleaning lady/cook for Bill Malloy, sort of like Delores Claiborne.

When Bill Malloy tragically went to "sleep with the seaweed," Mrs. Johnson, at an advanced age, took over the daunting responsibilities of housekeeper/cook/majordomo at that Mall of Americalike mansion, Collinwood.  Do you think that any of those pampered Collins ladies could handle that work load?  I can just imagine Rachel Collins Trask preparing an epicurean feast of Mulligan's stew for a company-sized group of hungry Collins diners, can't you?

Finally, I think that Mrs. Johnson did her absolute best with her recalcitrant son Harry a/k/a Mr. "Sticky Fingers" (wasn't that the title of a Rolling Stones album?  Maybe our resident rock expert, Ringo, could answer that question.)  It had to be extremely difficult for Mrs. J. to raise a son without a father there to instill discipline and provide a male role model.  As much as I admire Mrs. Johnson, the lady simply could not do everything.  Harry Johnson, regrettably, is just a bad apple.  Why, I'd even go so far as to say that guy, Harry, he's a real mother*!%@*r!

Bob the Bartender, who reminds you that even Garth Blackwood had a mother.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2002, 07:27:31 PM »
.@*r!

Bob the Bartender, who reminds you that even Garth Blackwood had a mother.

Bob, When did she make her appearance ?!?I'll add  Bathia Mapes to the list... ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2002, 10:11:44 PM »
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

Josette Collins (1840) - One of the best, considering all the nonense she went through.  Loved the broody Bramwell and adored her daughter Melanie.  Great lady, but she did cheat on Barnabas.  4 stars

SPOILER.......SPOILER.........SPOILER............SPOILER........

When did 1840 Josette cheat on Barnabas? If you're referring to Melanie's conception, I was under the impression that Barnabas had already died when this took place. Did I miss something here? ?!?

"Calamity Jane"

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2002, 10:53:01 PM »

When did 1840 Josette cheat on Barnabas? If you're referring to Melanie's conception, I was under the impression that Barnabas had already died when this took place. Did I miss something here? ?!?

SPOILER...

I believe you're right, Cassandra.  If I recall correctly, Josette and Justin Collins had an affair after Barnabas' death, resulting in Melanie.  After her birth, Justin convinced Josette to give up Melanie, and he and Flora adopted her, with Flora never learning the truth.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2002, 10:55:40 PM »
There aeen't too many I'd pick from this list but
Flora(1840) and Namoi would probaly top my list
Elizabeth is a goo mother but that recluse thing wasn't too healthy
Angelique (any) ick Hardly maternal
Laura nah  that fire thing
Edith as Rhett said to Scarlett a cat is a better mother!
Megan not really a mother but a mindcontrolled caretaker
have to pick those that i would think would have been good mothers
Daphne RT and PT
Maggie( if people would stop trying to drive her crazy!)
Leitica
Melanie
Pansy Faye( better than above list)
Sabrina (she was loyal)
thanks Vam

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2002, 11:01:13 PM »

I think you are right Cassandra  that's why it happened!
i think Justin "comforted" her in his own way!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV