Author Topic: Who was upset that DS ended in 1840 PT?  (Read 9695 times)

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
Who was upset that DS ended in 1840 PT?
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:16:46 PM »
When I was a kid watching DS in its original run on ABC it was a tradition for 4 years! I remember the last day of the show ....I watched it with tears in my eyes knowing that this was the last episope and being annoyed with my grandfather who was sitting behind me and said "Thank God this piece of s**t is over!" That hurt but it did not phaze me as much as not seeing the characters I loved and cared about one last time . Instead it ended with characters I really did not give a rat's a$$ about. And the final slap in the face was [spoiler]Stokes declaring that there may be a vampire at Collinwood and the camera shifts over to the portrait of Barnabas..... a PT BARNABAS who lived a normal life!![/spoiler] I felt so burned by the way DS left us.
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Who was upset that DS ended in 1840 PT?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
I would have liked for it to have ended in "real time" rather than back in time. At the point the show went off the air, I was spending two to three afternoons a week in after-school activities so I wasn't seeing the show that much anyway.  However, I do remember faking sick the afternoon the last episode aired as I wanted to see how it was going to end.

Nancy

David

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:14:25 PM »
Shame on them!
I understand that a few of them wanted to move on, but show enough respect for the audince to go out with loose ends tied up and a proper farewell for the core characters.

There is no excuse for the rip-off of an ending that DS
gave us.

David

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »
They could have ended the 1841PT story at least one or two weeks earlier and given the audience a wrap up of the present time characters.  Even if Jonathan Frid wouldn't play Barnabas they could have used the other characters and made reference to Barnabas.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
I liked the 1841 Parallel Time story better than I thought I would, though I do wish they had given us a lot more closure with the regular characters from 1970 than they did. I was happy to see everything was all right but the writers did leave quite a few loose ends that they should have tied up in regards to what happened to Maggie, Barnabas and Julia (will they ever get together), David and Hallie, Elizabeth and Roger, Carolyn and Quentin. Sure we knew [spoiler]the whole family was alive and well and the ghosts of Gerard and Daphne never haunted Collinwood in the first place[/spoiler] still I think most of us feel the writers still ended things a bit too abruptedly as far as 1970 Regular Time was concerned.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »
They could have ended the 1841PT story at least one or two weeks earlier & given the audience a wrap up of the present time characters.

I agree, they should have finished 1841PT, much as I loved it, a week or two earlier and gone back to the present to wrap up things there.  However, having said that, it DID leave us fans w/the opportunity to write our own 'endings', didn't it?  ;)  And there is some GREAT fan fiction out there!    8)

I liked the 1841 Parallel Time story better than I thought I would

Me too, but again, when it ended, I wanted to know more than just what the voiceover told us.  Which is why I wrote my Bramwell/Catherine novel!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
I was just upset that DS ended at all. It honestly didn't matter to me what the storyline was. Having watched many soaps at the time only to see them get canceled, it was pretty much par for the course for them to end with unresolved plotlines and characters left twisting in the wind.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »
Honestly, I had just about given up watching  the show by then.  I was in a play at school and had rehearsals when DS was on.  But my interest was waning even before that.  Every time they added  another new character, and the plot twisted further away from the original family and the early stories, it got less interesting to me.

Heresy, I know.....but true.... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »
I agree that it would have been nice to see the family one last time, not just Liz, and even if they couldn't wrap things up nice and neat, which considering the entire scope of the show, they still should have allowed us to see the real time family.

Still, it does leave the story lines open to all sorts of fun and interesting interpretations.  ;D
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:32:15 AM »
Still, it does leave the story lines open to all sorts of fun and interesting interpretations.  ;D

ITA!  We fans can write our own endings!   ;D  I'm thoroughly convinced that's why we have all the fan fiction we do.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 02:38:12 AM »
I really don't think it would've made it any easier to say "goodbye" if they had spent a few final episodes showing the family back in 1971 at the very end; as a matter of fact, to me it would've made it harder.  Besides, what could they have done for, let's say, one week (if they had wrapped up the PT1841 storyline earlier)?  Now, when Barnabas, Julia and Eliot returned to 1971, I'd say it would've been better to have seen more of the family for at least a few minutes rather than just Liz, maybe having more of them scurrying about getting ready to head off for Roger's presentation.  But beyond that, I really don't know what else would they have done?  Nothing more could've softened the blow.  Best to have just said farewell rapidly and gotten it over.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 02:56:46 AM »
Certainly it would have been nice to have had an actual farewell before they faded into the mists of time.....but honestly, when in its entire run did DS ever show evidence of forethought?  The entire production was "seat-of-their-pants" from first to last.

You can't plan a finale if the curtain is already coming down.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 03:58:59 AM »
Who was upset?  WHO WAS UPSET?  :o  I could not believe it.  And the end.  I kept expecting them to tie up Parallel Time in a nice Gordian knot and go BACK to "our" time.  And Parallel Time kept going on.  And on.  And on...  ARGH!!!!  Although I DID adore the Catherine and Bramwell Show, but as I say on my webpage, "What was SHE THINKING?"  and "What was HE thinking???"  But they finally got their respective acts together.

I did think the ending was sort of weird with [spoiler]Melanie getting bit.  Two neat holes on her neck.  But, oh.  Look.  It wasn't a vampire after all.  Oh really?  Then what the HECK was it?  What makes two neat holes like that?  [batang][/spoiler] Anyway, at least they sort of ended Parallel Time.  Bet they couldnt't get away with switching over to Parallel Time in any OTHER show!!  LOL!!!

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 04:02:11 AM »
I've met several people who have told me the same story, Rainey.  It was the same with me. My interest had already started to wane for the same reason yours did and I didn't want to miss being in plays, sports events and other things.  I made the exception the day the last episode was on.

Nancy

Honestly, I had just about given up watching  the show by then.  I was in a play at school and had rehearsals when DS was on.  But my interest was waning even before that.  Every time they added  another new character, and the plot twisted further away from the original family and the early stories, it got less interesting to me.

Heresy, I know.....but true.... ::)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 05:03:38 AM »
Although I DID adore the Catherine and Bramwell Show, but as I say on my webpage, "What was SHE THINKING?"  and "What was HE thinking???"  But they finally got their respective acts together.

You have a DS website?  Link please!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"