Author Topic: Who was upset that DS ended in 1840 PT?  (Read 9699 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Who was upset that DS ended in 1840 PT?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 05:18:32 AM »
Honestly, I think the show really could have gone on a lot longer than it did. There were tons of plotlines left hanging, tons of characters that could have been fleshed out more... perhaps the hiring of new writers?

I understand many of the cast were tired and wanted to move on to new things, but steps could have been taken to take the show furthur.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 05:58:01 AM »
You have a DS website?  Link please!  ;)

It's in her profile.  :)

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 06:08:40 AM »
You have a DS website?  Link please!  ;)

Happy to be of service!  http://www.geocities.com/angeliquewins/  ;D  It's mostly fan fiction:  one smaller story, one novel-sized and one attempting to be novel-sized but as yet unfinished, but I have a few Dark Shadows rants and a weasel story, too!  The only thing you can't navigate to is the script for the Mini Pirate Play (that's mini-play, not mini-pirate) that we did for the Gala, but to get there, all you do is add piratetreasure and then html after the last slash.

Judy
[angl] 
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 07:06:18 AM »
There's a bit of disappointment that they didn't return to the present day family, but in general I found it satisfying for an ending.  It was the only "other time" story that didn't have a "regular" character in it.  I wonder if they knew they would be canceled when they started the story.  They were doing 1840 and then had to reintroduce the PT room.  There's no reason why they couldn't have just wrapped up 1840 without this new story intruding.

However, they new story HAD begun - one was curious about what it was all about and what would happen.  They did follow the regulars back to present time enough to show that they had succeeded and all was well.  Then, there was this new story hanging there, so they went back and finished it.  While a present day real time ending would have been preferable, under the circumstances I found this acceptable.

And, I rather liked the concluding narrative - it wrapped up the show nicely.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
You have a DS website?  Link please!

It's in her profile.

And it's also in every one of her posts. Just click on the World Wide Web icon: under all her personal info.  ;)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 10:11:55 PM »
I wonder if they knew they would be canceled when they started the story. 

They did 1841PT because Jonathan didn't want to play Barnabas anymore and would only agree to stay w/the show if they gave him a new character (his contract expired during 1840).  This is what he has said at numerous Fests and articles etc...
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »
Thanks!  BTW, are you a ferret person?  I see a little fuzzbutt on your page!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »
Thanks!  BTW, are you a ferret person?  I see a little fuzzbutt on your page!  ;)

Yeah.  I think they're just adorable.  And you can blame it on a friend of mine who got me interested.  I used to be in a Bablyon 5 online game and her character had one.  We had some great "missions" together.  Me and the ferret, that is, not my friend.  LOL!  Then one of my very best online friends took it one step further in a Star Trek game and created a new 'species."  And thus "the weasells" were born.  I even have them in a DS story on my website.

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 08:29:19 PM »
In the interview audiotape with Grayson Hall from March 1973, she clarified that it wasn't that Frid did not want to play Barnabas anymore, it was that he did not want to be a vampire and have to do "the fanging" onscreen again.

Although I do not know of any published accounts of this, I've seen references in other posts over the years to Frid walking off the set at some point in the Fall of '70 and not coming back until he got certain things in writing from DCP.  I've always thought that one of his demands must have been that he get to play another character besides Barnabas.  I would guess that the germ of the 1841 PT story sprung from this; Curtis may also have been making plans for several of the cast members having to be away for several weeks during the filming of the second movie.  I remember seeing a clipping from a magazine published in Jan. of 1971 introducing Keith Prentice to teen readers and commenting that he had signed a "five year contract" for DS.  Difficult though it seems to believe now, the DS TPTB may have been hoping to have Prentice be the hot new male property on the show.

I watched right up till the end and I recall tuning in every day thinking they would go back to Barnabas and Julia in 1971.  I think a huge number of viewers must have had similar expectations which accounts for why TV Guide published Sam Hall's article in the Fall of '71 giving Sam's version of the fates of the present day characters on the show.  At the time, this was a VERY unusual thing to turn up in the magazine.  I still can't quite recall anything similar.  Maybe fannish outrage over the denouement of the BEAUTY AND THE BEAST series in the 1980s was comparable--that's the only thing that comes to mind; that and, of course, the cancellation of STAR TREK at the end of the Sixties.  But still, TV Guide never ran an article on "here's what happened to Capt. Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Lieut. Uhura after the show ended."

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 09:37:29 PM »
I've always thought that one of his demands must have been that he get to play another character besides Barnabas.  I would guess that the germ of the 1841 PT story sprung from this.

Frid said in I *believe* 1990 at the NY Fest was that he indeed was tired of the fanging and wanted another character to play just like everyone else got someone else to play.  I also recall him saying he'd been w/out a contract for a while so perhaps he didn't actually walk off the set, if he didn't have a binding contract...In any event, he was smart to get it in writing from DCP *before* coming back to work.

I remember seeing a clipping from a magazine published in Jan. of 1971 introducing Keith Prentice to teen readers and commenting that he had signed a "five year contract" for DS.  Difficult though it seems to believe now, the DS TPTB may have been hoping to have Prentice be the hot new male property on the show.

That's VERY interesting, and I can believe Keith was going to be the new hearthrob, BUT, he needed tp play someone who was NOT an insufferable jerk like Morgan was.   [hall2_grin]

the cancellation of STAR TREK at the end of the Sixties.  But still, TV Guide never ran an article on "here's what happened to Capt. Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Lieut. Uhura after the show ended."

True, but they did get 6 movies!   [hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 09:42:12 PM »
That has indeed long been a rumor but no corroboration I ever heard of to support it.  I've never heard anything said about Frid walking off the set.   It would be most unlike him to do such a thing to the rest of the working cast and crew with whom he had no beef.

Nancy

Although I do not know of any published accounts of this, I've seen references in other posts over the years to Frid walking off the set at some point in the Fall of '70 and not coming back until he got certain things in writing from DCP. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:32 PM »
Frid said in I *believe* 1990 at the NY Fest was that he indeed was tired of the fanging and wanted another character to play just like everyone else got someone else to play.  I also recall him saying he'd been w/out a contract for a while so perhaps he didn't actually walk off the set

What was the evidence you had that led you to believe Frid had walked off the set?  He certainly doesn't recall it.

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 12:33:44 AM »
Frid said in I *believe* 1990 at the NY Fest was that he indeed was tired of the fanging and wanted another character to play just like everyone else got someone else to play.  I also recall him saying he'd been w/out a contract for a while so perhaps he didn't actually walk off the set

What was the evidence you had that led you to believe Frid had walked off the set?  He certainly doesn't recall it.

I never said he did, go back and re-read my post!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 02:35:36 AM »
I never said he did, go back and re-read my post!

You said "perhaps he didn't actually walk off the set" so there had to exist a reason to even make the clarification/correction in the first place.   So what made you believe that had even been a possiblity such a thing happened is all I am asking.  I'm curious. (I'm an English major too and analyze the use of words. [hall2_wink]

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 02:41:58 AM »
It would have been really interesting if, instead of cancelling the show, they had taken it to an evening time slot.  Then the adult themes could have been explored, and an entirely new audience found.

But no doubt even Curtis would never have believed the show could develope an adult audience.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas