Author Topic: Hard to Find Dan Curtis '73 pilot coming to DVD  (Read 1181 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Hard to Find Dan Curtis '73 pilot coming to DVD
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:38:05 PM »
Digitalbits, one of the best newsites on DVD releases and information, lists the Dan Curtis production, "The Norlis Tapes" for a 10/3/06 release. The 1973 film was intended for another TV series, and is honestly really a reworking of ideas from the previous Kolchak series; reporter tracking the occult, with a few different twists. Roy Thinness, who starred in "The Invaders" and later the '91 Dark Shadows revival was the lead, and Angie Dickinson co-stars. ( I like Thiness Claude Akins and Stanley Adams who also appeared in "the Night Stalker" is in the cast that also includes Claude Akins, Jane Dulo and George DiCenzo. (You only get one guess who did the music,  ;) ) Here's a link to the page:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/coverart/coverart.php?20061003

While there you may wish to browse through the other pages as the new release information is pretty good. Some great horror/supernatural releases out this week and soon, most especially the new "75th Anniversary 2 Disc Editions" of Universal's Dracula  [blackbat] and Frankenstein   [frankie]. (This is the 3rd different DVD release of these titles, they are bleeding me dry! ) When you click on a title, it will bring you to more information on the DVD, over at Amazon.com.

Michael.

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to Find Dan Curtis pilot coming to DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
Man, that thread title is going to cause major heart-attacks for people who think its referring to the 2004 WB pilot!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to Find Dan Curtis '73 pilot coming to DVD
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »
Man, that thread title is going to cause major heart-attacks for people who think its referring to the 2004 WB pilot!

If only! But I just added the "'73" to the title to hopefully spare any coronaries.  ;)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to Find Dan Curtis pilot coming to DVD
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:25:23 PM »
I'm so sorry about that! :-[  BTW, that sentence fragment "I like Thinness" should read, I like Thinness quite a bit as an actor, he's done great work in many genre projects, especially "The Invaders", but he lacks that quirky and eccentric quality that made Darren McGavin so endearing in the similar part. Thiness was very heroic in The Invaders but is a little less interesting here.  Got distracted and forgot to finish that thought.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »
Ah, dear Stanley Adams.  I'll never forget his portrayal of a giant talking carrot who ruled "the Vegetable Planet" in one of the most surreal (and to my taste, inspired) episodes of Lost in Space.

I very vaguely remember watching the Norless tapes way back when.  I think the evil demon in that one is named, strangely, after Sargon of Agade, an ancient Mesopotamian ruler!

G.

David

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Norliss has aired a lot on Fox Movie Channel recently.
It's a creepy little number featuring a dude who comes back as a cross between a vampire and a zombie.

Roy Thinnes & Angie Dickinson work very well together.
Only one problem: Curtis was so sure the pilot would sell,
he ended on a semi-cliffhanger.

Like both versions of DS, Norliss ends without an ending!

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »
Ah, dear Stanley Adams. 

Ah yes, dear Stanley indeed.  How could we ever forget the incomparable 'Cyrano Jones' from the Trek ep 'The Trouble With Tribbles'!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"