Author Topic: Dark Shadows Stars to appear at October Hollywood Collectors Show  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Stars to appear at October Hollywood Collectors Show
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »
Roger Davis will not be at the Collectors Show due to business commitments.

It was wonderful when I met Roger in Charlotte.  He autographed my things for me with inscriptions and my name.  I also had my picture taken with him several times.  I had never gone to a show before so I didn't know what to expect.  It was really nice that it was so personal.  That he took the time to actually talk with me in the line.  It was wonderful sitting beside him at the dinner it gave us even more time to chat.  And we all know how Roger can talk.  He did let me talk also.  Actually in a one on one he doesn't dominate the conversation.  All in all it was a great experience.
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 01:39:04 AM »
i'm not really into getting autographs unless someome wants to sign a check
for me heehee so paying for one is just not for me! i just like to see the stars
i know they make money for them but i'd rather buy a movie or book and i
find these show with big athletes selling their signatures replusive and refuse to
go to them.

Actually if anyone wants the backstory on when and why actors at cons/shows started CHARGING for autographs, Jennifer put her finger RIGHT on the reason.  It was the example of the Sports stars -- and you can blame certain actors from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for starting the trend with actors.

Reason I know this was that back then I worked a few weekends a year for what was then Creation Conventions, back when the events they put together were more like conventions than the arena sized shows with no fan contact with the talent which are now the ONLY thing most people know as "Star Trek Cons".  For many years actors did cons unpaid except for a per diem and travel expenses then they went to being paid, which turned their con appearances into speaking engagements for pay only, with very little interest in the fans.  Autographs were also done for no charge, even when a dealer would show up with a dozen or more that the actor KNEW they would sell for a profit.

Then , as I said, one or more (I forget the particulars and I'm not about to name names anyway) of the actors from the third Trek series, having had no experience with Fandom, considered the experience simply an engagment for pay and wanted parity with the sports stars charging for autographs.  So, Creation started charging for autographs, and photo ops.  Eventually even the old guard went along with it cause, frankly, if everyone else was being paid, and they hadn't seen a residual in years, they would have been fools not to take the money.

So, this is why the promoter run shows all charge for autographs and photo ops, and the ones like the Fest who don't are almost non existant these days.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 03:01:01 AM »
personally having had no prior experience with fandom of any kind the 2003 fest was a first.

in hindsight i should have known better but when i first stumbled upon kathryn leigh scott at her table(selling her books of course,which i already owned)i randomly handed her whatever piece of paper was in my hand and asked her for an autograph and she was nice enough to oblige.

true many of the stars have things like books and cds to sell but i believe that they all do the program signing for free.that's pretty nice.

i've never been to a "star trek" type con but they look like zoos.we should be happy for the more intimate type of setting that we get. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 03:09:22 AM »
My first Fest was at Tarrytown, which, I'm certain, was a smaller than usual crowd.  I'm not looking forward to hordes of fans in Brooklyn.  I liked seeing Mr. Karlen repeatedly, going in and out the lobby.  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 03:26:58 AM »
My first Fest was at Tarrytown, which, I'm certain, was a smaller than usual crowd.  I'm not looking forward to hordes of fans in Brooklyn.  I liked seeing Mr. Karlen repeatedly, going in and out the lobby.  :D

I remember when I first met the old man. He took my hand and thanked me for the movies I sent him. But when we went out to breakfast, he called me a hillbilly on account of I slathered my scrambled eggs with ketchup.
I wish the Fest wuz at Tarrytown again so I could access my Jeep and drive anywhere without paying a fee to fetch my car.
See you in the crowds, kids! Mrs. Callabash, wherever you are...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 03:29:46 PM »
I remember when I first met the old man. He took my hand and thanked me for the movies I sent him.

The reason I think so highly of Johnny is he seems GENUINELY happy to see all of us and last year when I complimented him on his dramatic weight loss (he apparently had lost a whopping 70 lbs between the Tarrytown Fest and Hollywood) he took my hand and VERY sincerely said, "Oh, thank you so much sweetheart!  That means SO much to me!"

He's awesome!   :)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 01:45:46 AM »
Several Dark Shadoows actors are scheduled to appear at the Hollywood Collectors show at the Burbank Hilton on the weekend of October 14th, 2006. So far, they list David Selby, Katherine Leigh Scott, Lara Parker and Roger Davis.
It was already indicated elsewhere in this thread that Roger Davis won't be attending the show. David Selby won't be either, though they still list his name.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2006, 02:08:13 AM »
Actually if anyone wants the backstory on when and why actors at cons/shows started CHARGING for autographs, Jennifer put her finger RIGHT on the reason.  It was the example of the Sports stars -- and you can blame certain actors from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for starting the trend with actors.

Reason I know this was that back then I worked a few weekends a year for what was then Creation Conventions, back when the events they put together were more like conventions than the arena sized shows with no fan contact with the talent which are now the ONLY thing most people know as "Star Trek Cons".  For many years actors did cons unpaid except for a per diem and travel expenses then they went to being paid, which turned their con appearances into speaking engagements for pay only, with very little interest in the fans.  Autographs were also done for no charge, even when a dealer would show up with a dozen or more that the actor KNEW they would sell for a profit.

Then , as I said, one or more (I forget the particulars and I'm not about to name names anyway) of the actors from the third Trek series, having had no experience with Fandom, considered the experience simply an engagment for pay and wanted parity with the sports stars charging for autographs.  So, Creation started charging for autographs, and photo ops.  Eventually even the old guard went along with it cause, frankly, if everyone else was being paid, and they hadn't seen a residual in years, they would have been fools not to take the money.

So, this is why the promoter run shows all charge for autographs and photo ops, and the ones like the Fest who don't are almost non existant these days.

I was a Trekker years ago. Oh, the Creation conivery.
I think the best thing about the DS Fest is that the proceeds benefit a charity. That said...thank goodness it's Alzheimer's because that is where I'm heading.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.