Author Topic: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?  (Read 16507 times)

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 159.   September 26, 2006.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news:

**** UPDATE:
DARK SHADOWS 40TH ANNIVERSARY HALLOWEEN PARTY

On Sept. 21, SG Online Update #158 was posted to this List. It premiered details about the special celebration for DS' 40th Anniversary and the Halloween season.

Current postal-mail subscribers to the ShadowGram published newsletters now are receiving a free Bonus Announcement Postcard inviting them to join us that evening. The postcard is highlighted by an exclusive, never-seen photo of Jonathan Frid as "Barnabas."

The DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL PRESENTS:
40th Anniversary Haunted Halloween Party
Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:30 - 11:00 pm
Vista Theater, 4473 Sunset Drive, Los Angeles, CA  90027 - Phone: (323) 660-6639

The historic Vista Theatre is at the intersection of Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, 3 blocks east of Vermont Avenue, in Los Feliz (Los Angeles). The event benefits the UCLA Alzheimer's Research Center in memory of Dan & Norma Curtis.

--- Appearing in-person in costume as their original characters: LARA PARKER as Angelique and KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT as Josette.

--- Also appearing in person: DAVID SELBY, JOHN KARLEN, JERRY LACY, ROBERT COBERT, CHRIS PENNOCK, ROBERT RODAN, ROGER DAVIS, and BETSY DURKIN.

The evening features:
--- Free autographs and photo opportunities with our guests.
--- First-ever live DS music concert onstage with composer Robert Cobert conducting, and a live performance of "Shadows of the Night" ("Quentin's Theme") with David Selby.
--- Tribute to DS creator/director/producer Dan Curtis, hosted by Barbara Steele ("Black Sunday"/1991 DS TV series).
--- Special appearance by Karen Black and the original Zuni fetish doll from the Dan Curtis TV movie "Trilogy of Terror." Fans may take pictures with the iconic doll.
--- DS bloopers and rare footage screenings.
--- Barnabas Collins vampire look-alike contest to win a prize. Or fans can come in any DS or Halloween costume.
--- Vintage memorabilia auction and display.
--- Door prizes and give-aways.

--- Admission:  Adults: $20 - Students/Seniors: $15 - Children 6-12: $10. Tickets will be available at the door, or in advance at the box office after 4pm on weekdays or at the box office after 2pm on weekends. Advance buyers will receive a special DS surprise gift!

To purchase tickets by mail: Send check/money order payment, payable to Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 480726, Los Angeles, CA 90048

--- The Vista Theatre is a beautifully-restored 75-year-old movie palace. It is located at the intersection of Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, 3 blocks east of Vermont Ave., in the lovely Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, near Hollywood.

For out-of-town visitors: The Burbank Bob Hope Airport is only about 7 miles to the north of the Vista and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is about 12 miles southwest of the Vista. For sleeping accommodations, approximately ½-mile from the theatre are the Hollywood Travel Lodge, 1401 N. Vermont Ave. 323-665-5735, and the Hollywood Ramada Inn, 1160 N.Vermont Ave. 323- 660-1788.

The upcoming SG #109 and subsequent print issues will feature details, exclusive guest photos, and more about the event.

**** DS FESTIVAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION CONVENTION - BROOKLYN, NY - AUG. 25-27, 2006

Over 1200 fans of all ages from across the US, Canada and England gathered together at the NY Marriott Hotel - Brooklyn Bridge to celebrate 4 decades of DS.
Guests were David Selby (Quentin), Lara Parker (Angelique), John Karlen (Willie), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie), Jerry Lacy (Trask), Nancy Barrett (Carolyn), Donna McKechnie (Amanda), Chris Pennock (Jeb), Marie Wallace (Eve), Lisa Richards (Sabrina), Diana Millay (Laura), Conard Fowkes (Frank), Donna Wandrey (Roxanne) and Betsy Durkin (Victoria #2). Veteran behind-the-scenes personnel also participated: Henry Plimack (audio), Stuart Goodman (camera operator), Jim Butler (ABC publicity) and Les Schecter (ABC publicity).

Highlights included a surprise telephone greeting from Jonathan Frid (Barnabas), live from his home in Canada. The conversation took place during the cast reunion on the stage Saturday afternoon. As SG premiere-announced a few days before the Fest, Jonathan also recorded a special greeting and presented a selection from his one-man Readers Theatre program, "The Wooing of Lady Anne" from Shakespeare's "Richard III." This digital video was shown on the big screen on Saturday and Sunday. The video now is available on his official website: www.jonathanfrid.com

Saturday also saw an ambitious new musical cabaret performance by Nancy Barrett, who assumed a wide variety of personas and singing styles. On Sunday evening, the actors staged a dramatic reading of the first and last episode scripts, from June 27, 1966 and April 2, 1971, respectively. Some of the performers played their original roles while others took on different characters. The stage was enhanced with a re-creation of the original TV series' Collinwood drawing room set, spearheaded by Patrick DeBlasi.

Earlier on Sunday was an auction of rare DS items, highlighted by the actual Barnabas portrait oil painting from "House of DS." For the first time at a Fest, online bids were accepted for this piece as well as from audience members. The spirited, intense auction culminated with a winning in-person bid of $13,000 for the painting, won by an extremely thrilled and happy lady from Utah.

The weekend benefited the Alzheimer's Research at UCLA Medical Center in memory of DS creator Dan Curtis, who passed away on March 27, 2006, and was preceded in death by his wife Norma less than 3 weeks earlier.

Many of the actors offered new and recent publications at the event: Lara Parker's novel, "Dark Shadows - The Salem Branch"; David Selby's poignant tribute to his native West Virginia, "A Better Place"; Donna McKechnie's autobiography "Time Steps"; Marie Wallace's career memoir "On Stage & In Shadows"; Betsy Durkin's "Dressing the Man You Love"; Diana Millay's "The Power Of Halloween"; Kathryn Leigh Scott's mystery "Murder In Prime Time"; and Chris Pennock's line of autobiographical comic books. Current and recent ShadowGram print issues were very popular, as were copies of Kathy Resch's extensive series of DS Concordance books - detailed episode guides and references for individual episodes across specific DS time periods. Illustrated novels and story / poetry anthology collections published by Kathy and by Dale Clark also were in demand. "Dark Shadows - The First Year," is now available from the DS Official Fan Club/DS Festival, and MPI Home Video introduced a variety of new merchandise, including a sweatshirt, tote bag, and tank top, plus advance copies of the "DS Bloopers & Treasures" DVD (Nov. release).

Fest details and exclusive behind-the-scenes photos will be in the upcoming postal-mail SG #109 and subsequent print issues. SG also thanks the fans who have shared their Fest photos, as each picture captures a unique expression and moment. Please continue to send your pictures and reports to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below.

**** DONNA McKECHNIE PERFORMANCE & BOOK-SIGNING

Fri., Oct. 6 at 7:00 PM
Barnes & Noble - Lincoln Triangle, 1972 Broadway @ 66th St., NYC, NY. 212-595-6859.

Reading - Musical Performance - Signing
Publicity: Donna McKechnie & Guests. The Tony Award-winning star of "A Chorus Line" will be joined by special guests Priscilla Lopez, Harvey Evans, and Kurt Peterson, under the direction of Thommie Walsh, in celebration of her deeply moving memoir, "Time Steps: My Musical Comedy Life." Free and open to the public

For those unable to make Donna's book-signing in NY, the DS Festival has a supply of her new hardcover biography - which includes a photo from DS and recollections of her days on the show - that have been personally autographed by Donna. The book is available for a special mail-order price of only $25, including postage. Please send payment to: Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040.

**** BETSY DURKIN SHARES UPCOMING APPEARANCES FOR HER NEW BOOK

SG has detailed the new book "Dressing The Man You Love" by Betsy Durkin Matthes. The fashion guide is a thorough exploration and intricate reference with diagrams, facts, descriptions, and more for recognizing, purchasing, and caring for virtually every kind of men's attire. Betsy tells SG about the following events.

--- Tues., Oct. 3 at 12:45 pm: Betsy will be giving a talk on the subject of her book to the Women's Community Club of Shelter Island, at the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church, 32 N. Ferry Rd., Shelter Island, NY. 631-749-0805.

--- Sat., Oct. 7: Betsy will be appearing at the Family Britches clothing shops in both
Chappaqua, NY, 914-238-8017, and in New Canaan, CT, 203-966-0518. These signings are in connection with a promotion of St. John's Apparel.

--- Sat., Oct. 14 at 2:00 pm: Betsy will be doing a book-signing in connection with Educator Appreciation Weekend at the Border's Books Music Store, 1500 Old Country Rd.,
Riverhead, NY 631-284-2222. (Long Island)

**** HOUSE OF DS AIRS ON TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES
OCT. 20-21 at 12mid. ET / 9:00 pm PT

TCM broadcasts the first DS motion picture, "House of DS," airing the same version that was released to theaters nationwide in January, 1970. A synopsis on the TCM website has some plotline and character relationship errors: "Willie Loomis, the handyman of Collinwood, an 18th-century mansion in Maine, accidentally releases vampire Barnabas Collins from his coffin. Barnabas gains entrance to the mansion by introducing himself as a cousin from England, and Willie becomes his first victim. Carolyn Collins, the lady of the house, is Barnabas' next victim, and doctors Julia Hoffman and T. Eliot Stokes are called in to determine the cause of death. Their diagnosis of vampirism is confirmed when Carolyn returns from the dead to seek her own victims, but she is killed by a stake driven through her heart. Dr. Hoffman becomes fond of Barnabas even though she knows that he is a vampire and seeks a medical cure for him, but he soon makes both doctors his victims, along with Roger Collins, Carolyn's husband. Barnabas, enamored of Maggie Evans, a beautiful governess who reminds him of his lost love, is planning to make her his vampire bride when Jeff Clark, Maggie's fiance, kills Barnabas with an arrow through the heart." A complete cast/technical crew listing and more also are on the TCM website: http://tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?stid=1457

Please send any national/local TV media publicity, listings, or articles about the HODS broadcast to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below.

**** SG pays tribute to CRAIG HAMRICK, DS fan, author, and researcher, who passed away on Sept. 24 after a long battle with colon cancer. Craig was born on Oct. 9, 1966, in the same year as DS. He actually discovered the show through the Marilyn Ross paperback novels years after DS had ended production. Growing up in Coffeyville, KS, he did not have access to DS reruns, but when the revival series aired on NBC in 1991, he took notice. Soon he became involved with fandom and lent a hand to the DS Festivals. He also began exploring creative ways of his own to harness his interest in DS. Craig was an accomplished writer, photographer, computer expert, and animal lover. After moving to NYC in the mid-1990s, Craig helped promote DS on the Internet by establishing the excellent DarkShadowsOnline website. He guided several DS actors onto the web, designing and operating their sites. He also befriended a number of the NYC-based personnel, such as Nancy Barrett, Diana Millay, Marie Wallace, and the late Louis Edmonds. He wrote Louis' biography "Big Lou," his own compilation "Barnabas & Company," and a DS novel among others, and advised on a number of other DS-related books.

Perhaps Craig's greatest gift to DS was his strong will and upbeat determination as he fought the cancer for 4 years. He was able to attend and assist at the 40th Anniversary Fest in Brooklyn exactly a month ago. Craig leaves behind many wonderful memories and contributions that will not be forgotten. Those who wish to remember Craig may do so to the ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NYC office: 424 E. 92nd St., NYC, NY 10128-6804), or to your local animal shelter.

*** FAN SHARING: All fans joining us at the Halloween celebration and attending Donna's and Betsy's book-signings are invited and encouraged to please send their reports and photos to SG. These then can be shared with the SG readers - including the DS cast and crew (who directly receive complimentary copies of each published SG newsletter), fans worldwide, and the media  - starting with the upcoming SG #109. A complimentary Contributor's Copy SG print issue is given in thanks for major contributions. Please use SG's postal- or e- mail addresses below.

*** This SG Online DS News Updates List will update all this news and print issue SG #109 will have the latest complete detailed developments, photos, reports, and additional information.

Thank you.

Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:00:20 PM »
ShadowGram wrote:
**** SG pays tribute to CRAIG HAMRICK, DS fan, author, and researcher, who passed away on Sept. 24 after a long battle with colon cancer. Craig was born on Oct. 9, 1966, in the same year as DS. He actually discovered the show through the Marilyn Ross paperback novels years after DS had ended production. Growing up in Coffeyville, KS, he did not have access to DS reruns, but when the revival series aired on NBC in 1991, he took notice. Soon he became involved with fandom and lent a hand to the DS Festivals. He also began exploring creative ways of his own to harness his interest in DS. Craig was an accomplished writer, photographer, computer expert, and animal lover. After moving to NYC in the mid-1990s, Craig helped promote DS on the Internet by establishing the excellent DarkShadowsOnline website. He guided several DS actors onto the web, designing and operating their sites. He also befriended a number of the NYC-based personnel, such as Nancy Barrett, Diana Millay, Marie Wallace, and the late Louis Edmonds. He wrote Louis' biography "Big Lou," his own compilation "Barnabas & Company," and a DS novel among others, and advised on a number of other DS-related books.

Perhaps Craig's greatest gift to DS was his strong will and upbeat determination as he fought the cancer for 4 years. He was able to attend and assist at the 40th Anniversary Fest in Brooklyn exactly a month ago. Craig leaves behind many wonderful memories and contributions that will not be forgotten. Those who wish to remember Craig may do so to the ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NYC office: 424 E. 92nd St., NYC, NY 10128-6804), or to your local animal shelter.

:-[ How can they not mention that Craig shared his life with a wonderful man?  SG can mention that he befriended DS actors but not the fact that he left behind his soul mate and life partner - Joe Salvatore.

I knew Craig and I know that he was an out and proud gay man.  As was his friend Louis Edmonds.  As were many other DS actors (some who were forced to stay in the closet because of this business).  I know he would want me to speak up here.
The only way we can individually and collectively be catalysts for change is to speak up when there has been a wrong.
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

David

I second that emotion!
Where is Joe Salvatore in the Shadowgram Universe?
In Parallel Time?

I take it upon myself to add this to the Shadowgram obit:

Craig Hamrick is survived by his loving partner Joe Salvatore, who stood by his side for all the years of Craig's illness.
As per Craig's wishes: Joe asks that donations  in Craigs name be made to the  NYC Humane Society.

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Those who wish to remember Craig may do so to the ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NYC office: 424 E. 92nd St., NYC, NY 10128-6804), or to your local animal shelter.

Joe provided this information:  (follow the link to the post)

Dear Friends:

I am writing with the information for the organization that I have named as the recipient of any donations that people would like to make in remembrance of Craig Hamrick. ...

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
How can they not mention that Craig shared his life with a wonderful man?  SG can mention that he befriended DS actors but not the fact that he left behind his soul mate and life partner - Joe Salvatore.  I knew Craig and I know that he was an out and proud gay man.  As was his friend Louis Edmonds.  As were many other DS actors (some who were forced to stay in the closet because of this business).  I know he would want me to speak up here.  The only way we can individually and collectively be catalysts for change is to speak up when there has been a wrong.

John, I hear ya baby.  But certain ppl in fandom, I *won't* mention names, but you know who they are, REFUSE to accept that homosexuality exists!  I was not at all surprised by the lack of taste in that SG obit for Craig.  Not only that, but she got the charity info wrong.  Who is SHE to take it upon herself to say who Craig & Joe wanted contributions to go to?  Did she have authorization?  No, she didn't even have the right information.

Okay, climbing down of my soapbox!   [furious3] [82b5]  [Rant_Emote] [5323]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

David

In the late 1980s, I was targeted by a vicious smear campaign in DS fandom.
I was accused of being a prostitute, a child molester, a drug addict, and of being HIV Poz. (I'm actually HIV neg, but regardless, HIV is NO CRIME!!!!)

While I did have some problems in fandom due to my then untreated bi-polar disorder, that was not the case here.
In this instance, I was targeted specifically for being out, loud and proud!!!
And those who targeted me actually told me this, one of them quoted the bible!!!!
Absolutely NOTHING was done to stop this, in fact, I was branded a troublemaker for complaining about it!!!!!
And the haters continued for YEARS, targeting me and others!!!!
I stayed away from fandom for 5 years because of this.

The greatest contribution Craig Hamrick made to DS fandom was for getting Louis Edmonds~~and others~~ to come out within DS fandom.,

Thanks to Craig, the crap I endured will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN TO ANYONE!!!!!
Once again, I bow to Craig Hamrick AND his lover Joe Salvatore.

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »
Not only that, but she got the charity info wrong.  Who is SHE to take it upon herself to say who Craig & Joe wanted contributions to go to?  Did she have authorization?  No, she didn't even have the right information.

Well, a friend of his did post in another topic that Craig had requested that donations be given to the NY ASPCA.

BuzzH, your last comment was removed.  Gossip about other fans and all that... remember?  ;)

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
Get back up there honey because I got your back.  At the end of the day.  I didn't know anything about Dark Shadows until I met Peter.  So it is being gay that brought me here.

What has kept me is the camaraderie and what I thought was acceptance of DS.  I mean for Christ's sake.  I am out everywhere in my life.  I work on Wall Street and everyone there knows I am gay.  They also know that I am professional Bea Arthur impersonator.  People either deal with it or move on.  But every day I live my life as who I am.  Not as someone people think I should be.

Riddle this one Batman:

Isn't Dark Shadows post Barnabas about a man who lives his life with a secret? Who is befriended by a woman who wants to make him normal?  Only for him to find out that he was destined to be his old self because he could conquer evil and defend the people he cared about?

I find it absurd that there is intolerance in a group that should be celebrating diversity.  We don't treat differently any of the fans who come to festivals who have special needs. Why should gay people be treated differently.

Putting some clarity around this.  Let me make clear the following.  Many of the actors on DS have worked and had deep friendships with gay people there whole lives.  I know this as I consider Marie Wallace a friend, Lara, and as everyone knows Nancy and Peter and I worked together.  I can't think of three more accepting and loving women in the world.

So in closing let me just say.  Step out of the closet if you are in it¢â‚¬¦even in a small way.  After all October 8th is National Coming Out day, embrace who you are.  Allow the world to know you accept people despite their life partners, hairstyle, disability, if they wear fangs, etc¢â‚¬¦

Last night we celebrated Craig's life in Peter and my last show of this Judy/Bea run at Helen's.  We both dedicated songs to Craig and talked about this courageous and gifted man.  We showed a picture of him, and him and Louie, and his books.  In attendance were Janet Ferrara (Craig's "Grace"), Marie Wallace, Joe Franklin, Jim Colucci, Frank De Caro, RJ Jamison, and a host of others.   We laughed together, we cried together, and we knew he was watching.  I also know he is watching this and somewhere I feel the pat on the back.
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

David

A Special Thanks to Our Beloved Mods
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
Midnite, Dom, MB:
Thank YOU for making this board such a safe & diverse space!!!!

John: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Coming Out Day Nov 11th?

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
John, you SING IT sister!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Sounds like a wonderful evening in Craig's memory- wish I were there (sigh).....

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 09:00:05 PM »
 Now people, we all know why Shadow gram didn't mention Craig's life partner don't we ?? If his life partner was just his "friend" she would have printed that wouldn't she? 

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 09:04:44 PM »
Well, a friend of his did post in another topic that Craig had requested that donations be given to the NY ASPCA.

That would be me. I also retracted that comment in another post.

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
I can't believe that SG did not mention the core of his life...Joe Salvatore....it seems to me that a proper obituary (if that is what they were going for) would included the people left behind that he loved....but obviously they did not know this....why is the truth so hidden even after 40 years of DS.
"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
 Also Craig not alone befriended Nancy Barrett it was him that convinced her to come to a fest. He organized all her performances at the fest and in other areana's. Craig was very close to some actor's that appeared on DS maybe this didn't sit will with other people. we all know who they are.