Author Topic: DULL SHADOWS  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DULL SHADOWS
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 08:26:15 AM »
(an excerpt from her soon to be published study FIGURING FRID) j/k [crowdhappy]   

Are you REALLY writing a book?  That is way cool, Nancy.  I want to read it!

dsbarnabasfan ...

JK            =>     Just Kidding

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
JK            =>     Just Kidding

OH NO, she wrote it so small I missed it. [6184]  I better go back to not saying anything, then I can't stick my foot in my mouth. [wiseguy]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2005, 12:13:05 PM »
Back in the day ( ::) ) the biggest appeal for me was that Leviathan was present day. It was my first present day storyline and it was my first introduction to Marie Wallace who I really liked as Megan Todd. The storyline didn't bother me at all. I didn't care about "stuff" like that back then. As long as the show came on and I got to watch it, I was as happy as a clam. I wasn't analytical  back then and bought it all: Hook line and sinker. And one of my favorite moments in the show's history happens during Leviathan: When Sky Rumson reveals to Julia, the portrait of his wife. :o Great Stuff!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2005, 12:42:47 AM »
Good heavens, no! :o

Besides, I would call such a book "The Amazing, Disappearing Frid:  The Greta Garbo of Dark Shadows" ;D

Nancy

Are you REALLY writing a book?  That is way cool, Nancy.  I want to read it!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2005, 01:06:38 AM »

There's a really good (and quite positive) essay about the Leviathan storyline here...

http://www.bloodparty.com/cafe/sotnight/bluewhale/2004/08/loving-leviathans-by-s-r-shutt.htm

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2005, 02:26:34 AM »
There's a really good (and quite positive) essay about the Leviathan storyline here...

No surprise there given that its author is quite possibly the biggest Leviathans fan ever.  ;D

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2005, 02:20:25 AM »
Well, many thanks for posting that link.  I wrote that article years ago for what was supposed to have been a special Leviathans issue of Shadows of the Night print fanzine, and had not a clue that it had found its way to that website, since the editor stopped replying to my emails shortly after I submitted the article to him.

It's always nice to find out what has happened to one of "the kids" long after it left home...

G.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 08:09:13 AM »
It WAS the '70's afterall.  Had the show continued for a few more years this could have segued into the fabled DS Disco period quite well I think.

love that picture can't you just see them dancing to More than a Woman next!!

jennifer
next they could have done Urban cowboy!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2005, 12:36:31 AM »
love that picture can't you just see them dancing to More than a Woman next!!

jennifer
next they could have done Urban cowboy!

[thewave] (line dancing)

[happy2] [happy2] [happy2]

OMG!!!! Jennifer!!!!! aaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Barn with the white poly-3-piece suit!!!!! (now, however, Quentin in a low-buttoned crimson satin...........ooooops...better stop here!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2005, 07:27:12 AM »
Well, many thanks for posting that link.  I wrote that article years ago for what was supposed to have been a special Leviathans issue of Shadows of the Night print fanzine, and had not a clue that it had found its way to that website, since the editor stopped replying to my emails shortly after I submitted the article to him.

Hey Gothick, I didn't realize that was your piece when I read it!  The essay was really well-written and I agree with your points.

I remember 'Shadows of the Night'.  Dan Silvio used to do that 'zine.  It was a good fanzine too.  I remember he did one or two with a color cover, and some issues contained Collinsport Players scripts.  With the advent of the internet, has the printed 'zine started to vanish?  It seems there are less and less of them around these days.  :(

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 04:51:41 AM »
As is well known, I'm a fan of the Leviathans story.  Despite the nay-sayers, I continue to maintain that it had some of the best episodes of the series--or at least some of the best scenes.  Frid's performance is tight as a drum, the character of Julia is better used than she had been since '67, they bring back Nicholas Blair, Leviathan Liz actually brings some zest back to a character that had been reduced to a sham of her former glory, etc. etc.

It's got its good points. I do have to say that the last time I watched the Leviathan arc, I did enjoy it far more than I ever expected to. However [cough] nothing can quite compensate us for the horror of Michael and Alexander [/cough]
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 05:01:55 AM »
Oooooo - cough tags - I wonder if I can figure out something to do with them like I was able to do with your idea for the rant tags?  [scratch]  [ideag]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 05:26:45 AM »
Good heavens, no! :o

Besides, I would call such a book "The Amazing, Disappearing Frid:  The Greta Garbo of Dark Shadows" ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
I admit I didn't get into the Leviathan storyline as a child, but now as an adult I find it very entertaining.  [spoiler]It sort of reminds me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the characters we have gotten to know and love (such as Barnabas, Elizabeth, David) are turned into cold, unfeeling, almost zombie like. And of course we have the non-Leviathan heroes (such as Julia, Chris, Quentin and Barnabas once he broke out of his Leviathan
shell) determined to save the day.[/spoiler]

I have also found that the 1840 and 1841 PT storylines weren't as bad as others have said. Not saying they didn't have flaws, but still I found much to enjoy about them. And as much as I love Barnabas I can't really blame Jonathan for wanting to play another character. After all just about everyone else on the show got a chance to play another character so why shouldn't he?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
Nothing even remotely worthy of being included among the dumbest things ever done on television.  /it was a loopy dip into the waters of Lovecraftian Sci Fi that never should have happened.....but did.  Eventually someone at DS woke up, looked around, and said "What the hell....?"....and it all went away again.

As is well known, I'm a fan of the Leviathans story.  Despite the nay-sayers, I continue to maintain that it had some of the best episodes of the series--or at least some of the best scenes.  Frid's performance is tight as a drum, the character of Julia is better used than she had been since '67, they bring back Nicholas Blair, Leviathan Liz actually brings some zest back to a character that had been reduced to a sham of her former glory, etc. etc.   

I too beg to differ, I loved Leviathan!  I thought it kicked ass, for all the reasons listed above by Gothick.  And yes, David Hofstede's reviews of the tapes is HYSTERICAL!   It's a good read, and not just in the Throne Room!  ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"