Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0796  (Read 486 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0796
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
Robservations #796

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0796

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
Angelique thinks Aristede will be easy to master, but he has come prepared with a hypnosis-resistant medallion. He tells her to get the hand back--that is, if she really did give it away. I need time, Angelique says, for once actually afraid. I have none, Aristede replies. You know how much time you have, and it's all your friend Quentin has, so hurry!

At the OH, Barn wants to know how Julianka will save Quentin. She tells him he can never know. She had the secret from her great-grandmother--which puts things pretty far back, maybe even to 1795!--who took pity on Count Petofi and changed him back from wolf to man. Julianka has to gather certain herbs for the ritual. She tells Barnabas, This must be done the moment before the moon disappears, for when it does, it must take the curse with it to the underside of time [what she says]. She tells him to have Quentin at the OH when she returns.

Aristede is far too enthusiastic about his work. Puffing a cheroot as always, he can’t resist gloating over his prisoner one last time. In a sweat of fear, Quentin (now sporting a blue gag) struggles to get free. The blade has descended quite a bit lower and now seems to be above a region-- well, significantly south of his heart. Your fiancée is charming, Aristede remarks. She’s not a woman I'd ever trust, but some men like to live in doubt. Do you think your fiancée wants you to live? Quentin makes no reply. I see by your eyes you have some doubts, Aristede comments. So do I. But we’ll see, won't we? With a laugh, he adds, At least I will. You may never know. He laughs harder as he watches the pendulum swing downward.

Why didn't you tell me about Aristede? Barnabas asks Angelique, who has hurried to the Old House. We aren't in the habit of confiding in each other, she reminds him. You should have told me this, Barnabas insists. Who could this man be? If he has Quentin-- He _does_ Angelique insists, and we must give Aristede the hand. I don't intend to let Quentin die, he assures her. Wouldn't it be safer just to give him what he wants? Angelique asks impatiently. For once not to have some elaborate plot that might not work out? How human you suddenly sound, Barnabas comments in some amusement. Perhaps you have changed--I wish I could trust you. Leave me out of it, Angelique insists. I can't, he says. I have a small, nagging wonder at your even being here. You could control this Aristede if you wanted to. You could make him lead you to Quentin. She shakes her head. When she shakes her head no, he says bitterly, Do you expect me to believe that when you made me what I am? Barnabas, she says urgently, Aristede has a medallion. I have no control over him. Why would he? Barnabas wonders. He isn't of the gypsies. Julianka is our effort to get that hand. Who he is doesn't matter, Angelique says with increasing impatience. We are wasting time. When are you to meet? he asks. In fifteen minutes, in the woods outside Collinwood, she replies. Keep the appointment, Barnabas says. It will be useless without the hand, Angelique argues as she picks up the little casket. You can't take that, Barnabas insists. If I had no power over him, neither will you, Angelique retorts. I have advantages you don't, he says. Is the medallion in the form of a cross? No, she replies. Then I will see what luck I’ll have, he says. How arrogant you are, Angelique comments. It must please you very much to save the day when I cannot. I am saving Quentin for his sake, not yours or mine, Barnabas answers. David Collins and Chris Jennings--they are my reasons. We must start planning.

Aristede admires himself in a mirror, fussing with his clothes and hair in preparation for Angelique's return with the hand. Meanwhile, the pendulum has swung lower still. One must look one's best at all important moments, Aristede comments. His back is to Quentin, who has somehow managed to free his right hand from the ropes. [Why doesn’t he pull the gag out?] As your emissary, I'm sure you want me to look my best, Aristede continues [what he says!]. It's time for me to go for Angelique's answer. The pendulum is now about two inches from its target. Jovially Aristede asks Quentin, Are you a gambling man? Would you care to make a wager? Quentin glares at him disgustedly. Oh, you don't think it's in the best of taste, Aristede acknowledges. You may be right--I may see you again. Quentin grabs at him with his free hand, but Aristede easily subdues him. You’re not clever enough or strong enough, he says as he reties Quentin’s hand. I've shown you what I believe. I don't trust Angelique, either. You don't think she's going to save you. Well, I can't make take chances now. I've been warned, threatened even. This machine can be used more than once. I have too much respect for my body to even think about lying on that table! With a smile, he tells Quentin, Au revoir, monsieur--at least _you_ hope so. His face beaded with sweat, Quentin stares up fearfully at the blade.

Angelique meets Aristede, his medallion conspicuously displayed. Again Angelique pleads for more time, but Aristede suggests she go into mourning: You will look beautiful in black! he declares. Angelique runs off, apparently sobbing. Furious at being thwarted again, Aristede turns to leave--but stops when Barnabas uses his scary, commanding voice to call his name. Now Aristede is frightened, especially when Barnabas proves that the medallion doesn't work on him. As if in a trance, Aristede obeys Barn's command to take him to Quentin.

At the mill, the blade swings even lower, and Quentin continues to struggle. But he finally gives up and tries to scream for help through the gag.

Aristede takes Barnabas to--somewhere that looks remarkably like the cellar of the Old House. We wouldn’t keep him in the foyer, sir, Aristede comments as he lights a candle. _We_? Barnabas asks. I often refer to myself as “we,“ Aristede replies. Take me to him, Barnabas commands and calls out Quentin’s name. You’ll wake the dead, Aristede warns him ironically. A quick search reveals that Quentin isn’t there. This makes Barnabas furious, but Aristede laughs. Apparently the medallion protects him from Barnabas as well as from Angelique--or else it has somehow recharged itself! Barnabas grabs his lapels. Where is he? Barnabas shouts. You tell me, sir, Aristede replies. Will he ascend to heaven or descend to hell? You have tricked me! Barnabas rages. No, Aristede replies, you and Angelique tricked me--you didn't bring the hand. Where is Quentin? Barnabas demands. What difference does that make? Aristede asks with a shrug. He only has a moment or two left--and he's miles from here. Where? I want to know! Barnabas roars. I'll tell you, Aristede says. Barnabas throws him against the wall, but he is still defiant. He says, If you want to go for the body--a useless thing to me--you can congratulate me on my cleverness. He's in an abandoned mill near Sutter's Creek. [What, a gold rush reference????] Are you lying? Barnabas asks in a dangerous voice. There's no reason for me to lie, Aristede replies calmly. You could never get there in time to save him. We will meet again, Barnabas assures Aristede, who watches in astonishment as the vampire disappears. Hearing a squeaking noise, he looks around but sees nothing.

In a very well done, dramatic scene, Barnabas rushes into the room where Quentin is about to die a dreadful, bloody death. Not even breaking his stride, with one quick shove Barnabas pushes the table out of the way--just before the blade strikes it. Quentin gasps with relief as the blade thuds into the table, missing his foot by mere inches.

At the Old House, Julianka lights some candles, including, of course, a black one. Angelique watches the ceremony, perhaps out of professional interest. The ceremony involves the herbs and three gold goblets. Julianka beseeches the gods to grant her the power that was her mother's. Just as she finishes, Barnabas and Quentin return. She tells Quentin to rest. After what he's been through, he’s certainly glad enough to sink down onto the strange round purple settee. Julianka assures him that she can remove the curse, then adds, I must find the one thing that will draw them here. It will not fail--the new blood of the orris root. Quentin turns away with a groan of disgust. You do not believe me, Julianka says calmly. You will. Wait! You are luckier than Count Petofi. Before my great-grandmother cured him, he had to pay her with his hand. Why must you go out again? Barnabas asks in annoyance. Why didn't you get it the first time? The gods will only come if they are summoned the moment we begin, Julianka explains. It is now ten minutes past three, and the moon will be where it must be at four o'clock.

At 3:50, Angelique looks at the clock and assures Quentin, You are safe. You should have let me die, Quentin says bitterly. Where is she? She should have been here by now! Is this another gypsy joke? No, Barnabas says. You seem so positive--why? Quentin asks. She's run out on me. We have ten minutes, Barnabas says. I'll go look for her. Angelique, make sure Quentin doesn't leave the house. After Barnabas leaves, Quentin tells Angelique, There's no need for you to stay here. I'd like to, she says softly. He laughs sardonically and warns her, Now don't sound human. I'm not impressed. I remember where you came from, how you came here and why. I'm sure you do, she answers as she puts her hands on his chest. Smiling, she adds, I shall have to make you forget.

In the woods, Barnabas calls softly to Julianka. He is answered by a faint groan. He finds Julianka lying on the ground. Someone has stabbed her--and made a small trefoil mark on her forehead. Just as he reaches her, she sighs gently--and dies.…

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
Selby VO.  I imagined his VO going more like this: "The year is 1897... HELP!!!"  We learn that Julianka's mother took pity on Petofi, and ended his werewolf curse, by chopping off his hand.  What a pity...  I liked the part in Julianka's explanation where she says the Curse will be taken to "the underside of time".  Barnabas pauses, then doesn't even attempt to understand what that might mean. 

DL-- They actually do, later on, talk about the whole scene from Petofi's history, with the Hand being severed, as having happened in 17 ninety-something.

These Barnabas-Angelique conversations are getting more interesting, more adult, more complicated, now that the motivations have gone beyond the simple old "I'll kill everyone to have you" phase.  I sernse Mr. Frid being more invested in these, than in dialogue with others.  Angelique actually resents Barnabas for being able to "save the day", when she can't...

Why didn't Barnabas bite Aristede?  He was convinced he diudsn't need to, but it would have removed hin as an enemy completely.  He's a bit hesitant to create new vampires, after Dirk, but he's gotta bite somebody...

Julianka's rite: "When there is spirit, there is agony."  Tell me about it.  Good line.  Farewell, Julianka.  Written by Sam Hall.  "Trefoil" eh...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »
That would have been a hilarious VO!  [ghost_grin]

Anyway, it's a little mark with three little thingies.

Interesting to think about why Barnabas did NOT bite Aristede. He must have known that Aristede is someone's assistant and is not acting on his own. Maybe biting Aristede would have signaled to his boss that there is a vampire in the neighborhood.

I wonder if the script originally called for Barn to ask Julianka to explain the "underside of time" but was cut for lack of, well, time.