Author Topic: Why dont people like Adam?  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Why dont people like Adam?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »
I didn't have sexual fantasies about Barnabas either.  I can think someone is fascinating and even attractive but don't necessarily want to take a roll in the hay, or coffin, with him.  Barnabas was the reason I ever watched DS in the first place but that doesn't mean I would want the guy living with me.

Nancy

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43:44 PM »
He was controlling, got annoying a lot of times, thought his way was the only right way to do things, badgered Julia too many times

This description could easily be applied to Barnabas.  ;D

I have found that the Adam storyline plays better when viewed a second or third time, but I do agree that the character could be annoying.  Perhaps it stems from watching a very large adult male act like a spoiled child -- the contrast between Adam's appearance and behavior is really quite startling (not to mention grating).  Also, I always thought that green sweater looked terrible on him, and I would find myself fixating on how bad it looked, which probably added to my frustration with the character.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
I disliked the Adam storyline because it marked a major change in overall tone and focus of the show. Before the Adam storyline the focus was on the Collins family. With Adam they began to throw in everything but the kitchen sink and the focus changed to outsiders (Nicholas Blair, Adam, Eve) and the Collins family sort of went into the background. I didn't like that very much.

I've never been a big Frankenstein fan, either, I suppose. One of the few classics of the genre that never really interested me.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
I disliked the Adam storyline because it marked a major change in overall tone and focus of the show. Before the Adam storyline the focus was on the Collins family. With Adam they began to throw in everything but the kitchen sink and the focus changed to outsiders (Nicholas Blair, Adam, Eve) and the Collins family sort of went into the background. I didn't like that very much.

You know, Barnabas'sBride, I never really thought of it that way, but you're right, the show did move away from the Collins family, and that did take away from the show just a bit.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 01:35:46 AM »
i myself don't have fantasies of having sex with Barnabas
but maybe that is just me ;D

i hated the adam storyline because it was boring

I think Eve put it all in perspective when she said this to Blair about Adam

"He's Ugly, He's Boring, He's Stupid"..........but in all fairness as a kid of 13 watching Adam back in
the original airing on ABC, i looked up to Adam as a role model....the writers could of made him more
of a hero if they wanted....and the scenes with him and Carolyn made this teenager go ..."WHOO"...and Eve in that black gown....ohly chit.....better than any magazine i had hidden at the time in 1968 >:D
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 03:37:54 AM »
He WAS a newborn for pete's sake. Do you have kids? Be prepared.

Nope, I don't and will never have kids.

Prbably because the fans are mindless teenagers who only want something of sexual fantasy value. They don't want to actually think. I don't think Barny or any vampire would be popular if there wasn't strong sex vibes that Hollywood invented. Real vampires legends say that they have foul breath and appear more like Nosferatu. I don't think Nos is sexy.

America really has to grow up.

I don't understand how sex got involved, but if you must know one of the many things I love about Dark Shadows is that sex was never brought into the show until the last storyline with Bramwell and Catherine and by then DS was a new show I didn't like so I don't count that. I could care less about sex on shows. I watch shows for the stories, not to see people jump in and out of bed getting it on. If you watched Buffy, you would understand why that story was the worst on the show. How do you know what Buffy fans think? Are you in their minds? I got offended by that comment because I was teen when Buffy was on and believe me sex was never my big obssession with the show. I'm sure a lot of Buffy fans were the same way. Sex was never big on Buffy anyways. It was mainly stories about villains and their personal problems. Don't make accusations like that.

This description could easily be applied to Barnabas.  ;D

True. However Barnabas became a character you could like. Adam didn't get that chance. Maybe if they brought him back later on and gave him a better story I might feel differently.

Edited by moderator

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 05:15:41 AM »
From the Forum Guidelines, agreed to by all members at registration:

3. Debate should be kept on a non-personal basis. Flaming and name-calling will not be allowed. It is never appropriate to attack, criticize, or condemn another poster. Retaliation, sharp reproof and cynicism are to be avoided. Disagreement is a natural occurrence, but as stated above, should be done in a respectful manner. Likewise, these disagreements should not be continued beyond the normal limits of interesting discourse. Argument for argument's sake is not welcome.

4. If a poster feels wronged, slighted, or offended by another poster, these disagreements should be taken up in private e-mail between the posters. These disagreements may also be brought to the forum moderator, if necessary, but members are strongly encouraged to solve these problems among themselves off-board.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
Quote from: Satan link=9596.msg80867 date=1156241718
I don't like Frankenstien storylines. It doesn't work for shows. They tried it on Buffy The Vampire Slayer and that season/villain is considered one of the least favorite among fans.

Prbably because the fans are mindless teenagers who only want something of sexual fantasy value. They don't want to actually think. I don't think Barny or any vampire would be popular if there wasn't strong sex vibes that Hollywood invented. Real vampires legends say that they have foul breath and appear more like Nosferatu. I don't think Nos is sexy.

America really has to grow up.

thirdratehack, I'd recommend the online discussions on Buffy forums about the show's Season 4 because I'm confident that if you check them out, you will find intelligent, thoughtful discussion, and that its devotees run the age gamut.

And in fact, a simple search of these Forums (the Search feature is our best kept secret ;)) should reveal that many DS fans are also into Buffy.  Like Satan, I thought the characterization of its fans as mindless teenagers was unfairly harsh.

Adam is my least favorite of the Buffy villains too because I just didn't find him compelling or interesting.  He lacked the humanity that Robert Rodan brought to his characterization.  That is one reason that Season 4 is my least favorite (can you say Riley?), though like my least favorite DS storylines there is also much to love about it-- what was done with Oz and Faith, as examples, and the introduction of Tara and the First Slayer.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
I mean no offense to anyone or their opinions, but I have to agree with another post, I too appreciate the fact that Dark Shadows didn't have any explicit scenes in it. I think a story can be enjoyed without having those types of scenes in them. Of course this is just my humble opinion. :)

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »
thirdratehack, I'd recommend the online discussions on Buffy forums about the show's Season 4 because I'm confident that if you check them out, you will find intelligent, thoughtful discussion, and that its devotees run the age gamut.

And in fact, a simple search of these Forums (the Search feature is our best kept secret ;)) should reveal that many DS fans are also into Buffy.  Like Satan, I thought the characterization of its fans as mindless teenagers was unfairly harsh.

Adam is my least favorite of the Buffy villains too because I just didn't find him compelling or interesting.  He lacked the humanity that Robert Rodan brought to his characterization.  That is one reason that Season 4 is my least favorite (can you say Riley?), though like my least favorite DS storylines there is also much to love about it-- what was done with Oz and Faith, as examples, and the introduction of Tara and the First Slayer.

Season four of Buffy was just weird. It went into the sci-fi area with underground science labs and agents doing tests on demons, making their own big bad. I'm not into that. I rather see supernatural stuff than science fiction. True about your least favorite seasons/storylines having something good about it. Tara being introduced and Willow becoming her girlfriend was the only good thing happening in that season. With Dark Shadows, the only great thing I liked about the Adam storyline was that they brought Marie Wallace to the show. I love her as Eve, Jenny and Megan. She was a great addition to the show.

I mean no offense to anyone or their opinions, but I have to agree with another post, I too appreciate the fact that Dark Shadows didn't have any explicit scenes in it. I think a story can be enjoyed without having those types of scenes in them. Of course this is just my humble opinion. :)

I agree. I was glad they were able to go on for so long without having to bring that to the series. [spoiler]Bramwell and Catherine having sex, then her getting pregnant, and not letting anyone know was too much like an ordinary soap opera storyline. That and there not having any regular characters in the 1841PT is why I don't consider that storyline part of DS.[/spoiler]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
Oh boy, I haven't yet scene the 1841 story line, and now I'm sort of dreading it.  :-

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »
Oh boy, I haven't yet scene the 1841 story line, and now I'm sort of dreading it.  :-

Mind if I put my two cents worth in here?

NEVER, EVER pre-judge anything you haven't already seen by the comments of other people.  Not even those of the truly die-hard DS fans we have around here.

The only opinion of the show (or any part of the show) that should matter to you is your own...and you can't make up your own mind until you actually SEE it for yourself.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Raineypark. I suppose you're right about that.  :)

So now it's off I go to begin watching these episodes.  :)

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 10:38:29 PM »
Mind if I put my two cents worth in here?

NEVER, EVER pre-judge anything you haven't already seen by the comments of other people.  Not even those of the truly die-hard DS fans we have around here.

The only opinion of the show (or any part of the show) that should matter to you is your own...and you can't make up your own mind until you actually SEE it for yourself.

I agree with this. A lot of DS fans dis the Leviathan storyline causing new fans to dread seeing that while I think it's a great storyline. It was new and different. Plus I thought it was exciting in some scenes. The only thing I hated about it was that it is the last storyline to feature Marie Wallace in the show.

I never saw the 1841PT storyline until I bought the last DVD collection and so far it's quite dull. They should have had one of the regular characters in this story. It might have been better.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
I like watching the latter half of the Adam storyline (i.e., after the last Dream of the Dream Curse), but the earlier part is just...ugh.  I realise it's got some classic scenes with Stokes and Cassandra et al, but it's hard to sit through all that Adam stuff.  The second part is much more interesting than the first, IMO, mostly due to Nicholas, the Devil, Angelique, etc.