Author Topic: OT Classic Haunts for less, DVD $4.99 sale  (Read 908 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
OT Classic Haunts for less, DVD $4.99 sale
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:48:23 PM »
Not to advocate one retail outlet, but I was at Best Buy today and they have a selection of DVDs on sale for $4.99 each with a few titles that would be of interest to many Dark Shadows fans. First and most especially is 1963's "The Haunting",  [ghost] with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom and Russ Tamblyn and directed by Robert wise. This one is often cited by many as the best "haunted house" movie of all,  [Ghost00] and is superior to the remake, which probably goes without saying.  [toilet] This film almost certainly influenced not only Shadows, but other Dan Curtis productions such as "A Darkness at Blaisdon." Also available in the selection is "Poltergeist,"  [ghosty] "The Ninth Gate", "Queen of the Damned", "The Blair Witch Project"  [zoom] among others, mostly mainstream stuff. Anyway, just a heads up. The great thing about this time of year is expanding the spooky and supernatural home viewing collection.

Michael  [blackbat]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT Classic Haunts for less, DVD $4.99 sale
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 08:39:09 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. I agree whole-heartedly about THE HAUNTING, that movie scares the pants off me every time. The book (The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson) is a helluva read, too.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Michael, I will be SURE to rush over to Best Buy for Poltergeist and The Haunting!  You're right about TH being far superior to the remake.  This movie scared the HELL out of me when I first viewed last spring and is THE reason why I will NEVER spend the night at Seaview Terrace, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:45:11 PM »
I thought of another REALLY good, SCARY flick and I have seen it at BB but not sure it will be part of the $4.99 special, but it's called The Woman In White w/Lukas Haas (from Witness).  It takes place in the early 1960's around Halloween time and is about a young boy (Haas), who accidentally gets locked in his school overnight and has a ghostly encounter!  I'll say no more as to not spoil it for those who've never seen it but believe me, it's a keeper.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »
I'm so glad you posted this, Michael.  I agree that Best Buy has some great titles in the classic horror genre.  The original The Haunting is simply one of the best movies ever made in that genre or any other genre for that matter.  I liked it for the same reason I loved The Blair Witch Project.  For that matter, I also loved Poltergeist and can watch that over and over.  The only remake I can think of that was perhaps better than the original was The Fog which came out last year or so.  It was a visually superior film to the original.

Nancy

Not to advocate one retail outlet, but I was at Best Buy today and they have a selection of DVDs on sale for $4.99 each with a few titles that would be of interest to many Dark Shadows fans. First and most especially is 1963's "The Haunting",  [ghost] with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom and Russ Tamblyn and directed by Robert wise. This one is often cited by many as the best "haunted house" movie of all,  [Ghost00] and is superior to the remake, which probably goes without saying.  [toilet] This film almost certainly influenced not only Shadows, but other Dan Curtis productions such as "A Darkness at Blaisdon." Also available in the selection is "Poltergeist,"  [ghosty] "The Ninth Gate", "Queen of the Damned", "The Blair Witch Project"  [zoom] among others, mostly mainstream stuff. Anyway, just a heads up. The great thing about this time of year is expanding the spooky and supernatural home viewing collection.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:13:19 PM »
I thought of another REALLY good, SCARY flick and I have seen it at BB but not sure it will be part of the $4.99 special, but it's called The Woman In White w/Lukas Haas (from Witness).  It takes place in the early 1960's around Halloween time and is about a young boy (Haas), who accidentally gets locked in his school overnight and has a ghostly encounter!  I'll say no more as to not spoil it for those who've never seen it but believe me, it's a keeper.  ;)

You mean "The Lady in White." though Wilkie Collins's book "The Woman in White" and the classic b & w movie version are both influential on DS, especially the movie opening.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 02:36:46 AM »
Thanks again, I snagged THE HAUNTING for 5 bucks!

Su-weet!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey