Author Topic: Remembering the World Trade Center  (Read 2277 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Remembering the World Trade Center
« on: September 11, 2006, 05:07:25 AM »
For me, 9/11 will always have a deeper meaning than it would have had, if not for Dark Shadows. For the only times I had ever been to the Towers was because of the festivals. I always tell people, and most are unaware, that the Marriott was Tower # 3. I most especially remember in 2001, as we drove Diane's silver Honda right up to the door and unloaded. I remember walking straight out of the Marriott and into the Trade Center Mall. I still have two shirts I bought there, one was for the fest dinner that year. We took the subway into Times Square right from there, just took the escalators down. Conrad Brook shot some footage for one of his "no budget" films in the lobby, and Diane and I were extras. I have a funny memory of Roger Davis speaking from the stage that year, advising us of a great nearby store to get a great suit at bargain prices. The two things I will always remember most, tho, are first, eating breakfast in the Marriott restaurant, which had big windows that opened in the WTC courtyards. I can still see John Karlen sipping coffee two tables away, by himself. Another table seated Ben Martin, another Stuart Manning and his friends, and many more tables of fans with their badges pinned on, eagerly awaiting the day's events to start. From the table, the Towers stretched to the sky, like two opens arms reaching for heaven. My other memory is on Sunday night, after the banquet. First, we made many photos by that fountain and stairs in the lobby. After that, Diane, myself and a friend from Indiana decided to go into the Tower, # 2 I think, and go up to the observation deck. When we reached the end of the velvet ropes, the attendant told us, "Sorry. We've just closed for the night." We looked at each other and said, "Well, we'll be back next year or the year after that." And that opportunity never came...
        We went to Ground Zero while attending the 2003 fest.For some reason, I had taken a photo from our room's window of the buildings across the street, and I used it to orient myself at Ground Zero, to try to place where the Marriott was. I looked at that gaping hole and wondered on which level the car had been parked. I often have wondered what I might have grabbed, had it been "that day" and we were at the Marriott. I don't want to talk politics, that will divide us. But, I think that in some small way, we Dark Shadows attendees of festival 2001 are  lucky. Together we shared something very special, in a very special place. But also, because we were there, we may have just a little more understanding of the loss, than many who never saw them up close, two silver arms, that reached toward heaven. And a hotel, almost forgotten.

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering the World Trade Center
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 08:45:44 AM »
Hi Michael very nice tribute.  We shall never forget those whose lost their lives.
         May They Rest In The Peace Of Heaven.
                               Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
Michael,

I appreciated your look back at the 2001 festival and tribute to the tragic events that followed.  I can relate to so much of what you said because that was my first festival and I, too would never have seen the towers or experienced that part of the city had it not been for the fest.  I recall it all in such vivid detail and also remember little details like Roger Davis talking about the Century store across the street (what a madhouse!) and eating at the restaurant that overlooked the courtyard.  I've also revisited the area since to pay my respects (in December 2004) and was both appalled and moved by the gaping hole and amazed at how much of the general area that I recalled (like the church that was just across the street, the store Davis mentioned and the little deli where we got take out) actually survived so well.  When the news broke that day five years ago, this board was one of the first places I went on the Net.  We were all in a kind of surreal shock - especially those of us who had literally just been there.  I really appreciated the way we all kind of came together to support each other.

Beth

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
The 2001 DS Festival was my first festival as well. My father and I flew in from Ohio and got to see the sights of NY. I am very glad that we did get to see the WTC before 9/11.  I remember that my father got sick when he heard about the WTC on 9/11 because we had just been there. We also went to Ground Zero during the 2003 DS Festival.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved one's left behind and for there loved ones that were lost.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
Just a gentle reminder to please try to keep the discussion in this topic about the DS Fests held at the WTC and the memories about them. This is a DS forum, after all, (with an often stated policy against the posting of topics relating to world events) and any OT discussion, no matter how heartfelt or well intended, runs the risk of possibly being pulled.

Thanks.  :)

As for the Vista Hotel, it was where I attended my first Fest in 1989 and I was also at the 2001 Fest. I have nothing but great memories of the times I spent there (especially the 2001 Fest because it was the first one where I finally met in person many of the wonderful people on the forum) and it's still so surreal to me that it no longer exists...

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:57:40 PM »
Hi Michael very nice tribute.  We shall never forget those whose lost their lives.  May They Rest In The Peace Of Heaven.

The church bells here were ringing for the victims of the Pentagon, I think they chimed for each person that died.  It took a while for them to stop.

My first Fest was also at the Vista, aka World Trade Center Marriot, in 1990.  I remember walking thru that mall underneath in search of a muffin for breakfast before getting on the bus to Lyndhurst.  I ran into quite a few fans doing the same thing.  How did I know they were fans?  They all had DS tees on, most of them made by our very own Selby D. Pearson!  Don't recall if Bobubas was making tees that early.

I was also there a year later for the 1991 Thanksgiving Weekend Fest and as I was not staying at the hotel this time (was staying at a friends in Jersey) we went back and forth via the Path train and the stop was underneath this mall.  I too have WONDERFUL memories of these two Fests and this hotel.  Was sad when it was bombed in '93 and we ended up at the Marquis (which IS a gorgeous hotel and being in Times Square it's got the best location).  Only wish I'd gotten to a Fest when they returned to the WTC and really regret that I never got up to the top of (was it Tower Two?) to view the city.  But, like most fans, I always thought there'd be "next year"!   :'(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:30:04 PM »
I had taken a photo from our room's window of the buildings across the street, and I used it to orient myself at Ground Zero, to try to place where the Marriott was.

Back in 2001 during the forum's VantageNet incarnation, several members posted pictures they had taken of and from the hotel during that year's Fest. If I can locate my copies of them, I'll post them.

(And BTW, Cyrus, I haven't forgotten that project I volunteered to do for you. You should see results later today.  ;))

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:51:45 PM »
I loved that hotel though the location wasn't always ideal for those who wanted to partake of the action in midtown Manhattan!

It's still hard to believe that it is gone.  Another scary memory is that Jim Pierson was staying there on business and would have been there on Tuesday, September 11th but decided to check out on Monday and head uptown closer to where he was conducting business.  Can you imagine how close that had to feel?

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »
I found the pics. But unfortunately my memory is a bit sketchy as to who shared what as well as who a few people are in the pics.  :-[  So, if I don't credit you with having shared a pic or appearing in one, please feel free to take credit or to identify yourself and/or anyone else you recognize.  :)

I'll group the pics in the order they were originally posted on VantageNet:

Up first, a photo posted on September 12, 2001 by Bobubas which features Vlad (on the left) and Bobubas (on the right). (I'm afraid I have no clue who the ladies in the center are.)

And a wintertime postcard which meant a lot to the poster, so they shared it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 06:12:04 PM »
A group photo posted on September 19, 2001:

(Standing, left to right - Vlad (in costume for the gala), ?, ?, NancyBe, Midnite, Bette, Nicky, ?, John_in_SC, Ben. Crouching - casper_collins.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »
Photos posted on September 22, 2001:

Nicky and sheenasma

Two photos posted by Bobubas:
(Top - I won't even begin to try to idenify the people - though I do recognize two of them - and you know who you are.  ;))
(Bottom, left to right - Nicky, ?, Gothick, NancyBe, Midnite, John_in_SC.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »
A group of photos posted on the September 24, 2001, featuring someone's room and various views from rooms:

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

God bless America.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
First batch of photos posted on September 25, 2001:

casper_collins on the bridge.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »
Second batch of photos:

(View of the WTC courtyard from a hotel room.)
(Various views of the WTC from different vantage points.)