Author Topic: an amusing reference  (Read 702 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
an amusing reference
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »
i just finished reading "low life in high heels" the autobiography of andy warhol "superstar" and drag legend holly woodlawn.

it's a tawdry little tale really but there is an amusing passage about how holly spent some her afternoons in the late 1960's.she and other low life "superstars" like jackie curtis would shlep over to a friend's hotel suite in the east village,pile up on the bed,and "shot up heroin and speed,and just hang out until it was time to watch 'dark shadows' ".

the imagery here is really quite funny.especially if you know what these people looked like. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: an amusing reference
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »
Dear Holly... I always think of her and that bottle in one of her sequences with Mr. Dallessandro in TRASH...

She is a TRUE artist.  I just love the moment in the Quentin Crisp documentary, RESIDENT ALIEN, when an English dowager who is a friend of Quentin's burbles on, "Oh, I ADORE Holly... she's such a LOVELY gell, and with such BEAUTIFUL skin!"

I've heard that DS was very popular in the Factory and generally amongst the Warhol crowd.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
holly is so genius in "trash"...the scene with the beer bottle...so tragic!

apparently there were comparisons to the great anna magnani and a write-in campaign to get holly put on the ballot for a best supporting actress nomination.

i also have a fondness for the eyebrow challenged jane forth.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:45:45 AM »
I don't think I know Jane Forth, unfortunately.  I've seen some fascinating screen captures recently from the Olga films of the mid Sixties (available, of course, through Something Weird)--deliciously sleazy stuff.

You might enjoy Liz Renay's autobiography.  She was in one or two of those John Waters films--Desperate Living, I think, was one of them?  It's called something like "My Face for the World to See."  Such drama!

I've heard of quite a few celebs from the Sixties, both mainstream (like Jackie O) and counterculture, who were fascinated by Dark Shadows, particularly around 1968 and the whole Dream Curse period.  Quentin and the 1897 storyline mirrored a certain fetishism for Victoriana that one finds in the lyrics to some of Donovan's songs, album art of some bands of the then-nascent acid-folk genre, the whole tea-granny trip, etc.

G.