Author Topic: What are the chances of a new Dark Shadows?  (Read 8559 times)

Offline Ryan Collins

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
What are the chances of a new Dark Shadows?
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:17 AM »
Do you think that there is any chance that a new DS primetime show will happen? After the 2004 debacle and Dan's death what do you think the chances are that they will try to bring DS back to television?
The only young DS Fan I know. But I guess that's why the show is so popular.  First started watching the show in 6th grade at my mom's recomendation. Have been a Fan ever since......

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: What are the chances of a new Dark Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »
I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I hope that Dark Shadows is not resurrected again.  I admit that I got a little excited with news of the 2004 WB pilot, but I really would like for Dark Shadows to remain the classic that it is.  The 1991 remake did not add anything to the legacy of Dark Shadows.  I say let a classic remain a classic.
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
I have reason to believe that the reason we have not seen a new DS anything since 1990 has more to do with Dan Curtis' involvement.  The proposed DS musical bit the dust after years of back and forth and the scuttlebutt was that DC was being a pain.   While he created the series, DC never understood the charm of DS (take a look at HODS) for its fans so his not being involved in a future DS project would bode well for it, not be against it.  That's my opinion anyway.  I think DS projects have a better chance now of succeeding.  I hope I'm right.

Nancy

David

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
I think you are right, Nancy.
DC turned down an offer from NBC to do a series of DS movies after the 91 series ende because he was so "offended" by the cancellation of the weekly series.
He battled with the WB a lot, I hear.
I understand that he wanted to protect his baby, but he never learned how to compromise.

The difference between the 1960s DS & the 1990s version is like comparing Universal Horror to Hammer Horror.
You can't compare them, yet each works as different entities for different reasons.

A new DS would be grand.

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »
I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I hope that Dark Shadows is not resurrected again. 

I agree w/this IF they do a version like that drek NBC came up w/in 1990!

A new DS would be grand.

But agree w/this if they were to 'fix' the WB pilot and run it w/that cast as I loved this version!  ;)  I too heard that DC was a pain in the keester about the WB pilot and if true, w/his death we might actually get an updated version of DS, not a retread!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »
As I understand it, the majority of the artistic decisions regarding DS were not made by DC.  He certainly had the vision and determination to carry out new ideas and that makes a great executive producer.  But he had no role in the development of the Barnabas character, for example.  Frid and the writers met on that issue before Frid made his first appearance as the vampire.  DC had the drive and force of personality to get his way and that was good in some ways but not so good in other ways.  If there is any doubt of his lack of understanding what made Dark Shadows so beloved to fans, HODS is a living example of how far off the mark he was on that score.

Nancy

DC turned down an offer from NBC to do a series of DS movies after the 91 series ende because he was so "offended" by the cancellation of the weekly series.
He battled with the WB a lot, I hear.
I understand that he wanted to protect his baby, but he never learned how to compromise.

David

About HODS
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
And yet, many classic horror fans who HATE the TV show LOVE that film!
Go figure!!

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: About HODS
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
Yes, it seems that way. I've noticed that.

Most of my friends dislike the TV series and the movie too! ^-^

Nancy

And yet, many classic horror fans who HATE the TV show LOVE that film!
Go figure!!

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I hope that Dark Shadows is not resurrected again. 

I feel the same way. I love the show because of a certain magic that was created by that specific group of actors, writers, set decorators, etc. all working together in the era of late '60s and early '70s.  You can't just recreate that by borrowing the title and a few character names and sticking them into something else.  I watched the first few episodes of that revival series and lost interest immediately. 

David

Nancy~~Getting people to like DS
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 05:51:33 PM »
sometimes it's a matter of what they saw of it.
I've known people who heard about how magical
the show is, so they checked it out.

If they're first exposure was a pre-Frid episode or Parallel Time, instant turn off!
But then I'd show them stuff from 1795, 1897, the Quentin/Beth haunting, 1995, and they then had a much more favorable view of the show.

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy~~Getting people to like DS
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 05:58:37 PM »
Those are always options, thanks David,  but I don't care if one or all of my friends don't share an interest or hobby that I have.  Their lack of interest doesn't affect me one way or ther other.

nancy

sometimes it's a matter of what they saw of it.
I've known people who heard about how magical
the show is, so they checked it out.

If they're first exposure was a pre-Frid episode or Parallel Time, instant turn off!
But then I'd show them stuff from 1795, 1897, the Quentin/Beth haunting, 1995, and they then had a much more favorable view of the show.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 07:07:25 PM »
The difference between a new concept and a re-make of a pre-existing work is like the difference between a new born baby and Frankenstein's Monster.  Especially when the baby was particularly beautiful and delightful.

DS is a victim of its own success.  If the original show had been a short-lived, barely acknowledged series with few fans, it would actually be easier to create a new version with new people and new ideas.  But it's been kept alive for 40 years and the first fans are still devoted to the original the way it was.  How does a new creative team get around that?  How do they choose between what was, and what could be?

Why would anyone try it at all?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 08:00:59 PM »
I think the best option is a new feature film- after all, Johnny Depp has gone on records as saying that he would love to play Barnabas.  If Tim Burton directs, that alone would give a new widespread interest in "Dark Shadows" worldwide- a win-win proposition.

David

Burton/Depp
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 08:04:46 PM »
anyone who's seen Ed Wood and/or Sleepy Hollow knows how divine & sublime a DS by those two would be!

Let's write them letters & suggest it!

David

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
I think the chances of a new Dark Shadows tv project have definitely increased. I don't mean to say bad things about its creator Dan Curtis. I was told by a news writer that the networks simply turned a deaf ear every time Dan pitched a new DS idea to the networks in recent years. DC probably presented story lines similar to the 91 series. Networks also like to go with the hot hand so to speak. So a producer like John Wells could easily pitch a new DS project to the networks (if he wanted to) and the networks will absolutely listen to him especially if they have a development deal in place. I have to admit that I was angry and puzzled when John Wells subsequently turned his back on the 2004 pilot. I am sure there were things his company could have done. But it seems he too lost faith in that project for whatever reason. I think the networks will be more open to the new DS management. I guess all we can do is to keep the dream alive.