Author Topic: For Those Who May Have Missed It Way Back When...  (Read 2934 times)

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: For Those Who May Have Missed It Way Back When...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 03:45:29 PM »
Great book! I read the entire thing, and I have to say it remains very true to the spirit of Dark Shadows, tells a great story, and also is written in such a way that you can actually envision the DS actors speaking the very same lines. It's rare when I read a work that allows me to actually hear the voices of the actors portrayed in it, but I could hear David Selby, Grayson Hall, et al throughout the entire book...excellent stuff!

It's truly a shame that the DS range didn't continue, as you've captured the feel very well!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »
I finished the book last night, and was very impressed.  The characters were accurately written, which is far rarer than it ought to be.  The plot was a good blend of old and new.  I started reading the book on Monday night and finished it Tuesday, so obviously I enjoyed it.

Bear in mind, since this never went to an honest-to-god editor, it's first-draft quality,

This is truly incredible.  I've read so very many books published in the past couple of decades with multiple mistakes that made me gnash my teeth, and I don't remember any in yours.  Bother, bother, bother -  Mark Rainey, you've just turned me into a less charitable person.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 04:44:47 AM »
I too have read the first chapter and now I'm hooked. I'm going have to make time inbetween classes and homework to read this! I really enjoyed Dreams of the Dark, so I'll have to make it a point to finish this one just as quickly.

And OOPS, I found a typo---

Page 5:

"Is Julia in her room?" Quentin asked, ignoring Carolyn's question.

It appears without the underlined Quentin in the story. Just thought I'd point that out.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 12:25:08 AM »
Thanks for putting this up in Adobe, Mark.  I have a series of text files of this novel from a long time ago, don't remember where you had them then.

I remember reading this way back when and enjoying the story thoroughly; as much as I did "Dreams of the DarK".  (And I assure you it has more to do with the quality of the story than the fact that Quentin is a particular favorite.)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 04:18:33 AM »
Thanks, y'all -- your comments are all very much appreciated. And thanks for the catch, Brandon -- I'll check it out.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Christmas, at least the Dark Shadows portion, was saved this year!  The disappointing delay of "The Christmas Presence", I have to admit, sort of put a pall on the holiday (ALBEIT A MINOR ONE).  Unexpectedly, I came across Stephen Mark Rainey's email address and decided to write him to tell him how much I enjoyed Dreams of the DarK.  He wrote back, about five minutes later with a link to download his SECOND DS novel The Labyrinth of Soulls!??  I've not been actively involved in DS fandom, or any other, in the past few years, but I can't believe that this passed me by!  I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it's set at Christmas time.  So if any of you need a DS fix to get you through the holidays, here's the link.  http://users.adelphia.net/~bbrainey/Labyrinth.pdf
I'm aware that most of you probably have this book already, but if even one person gets to read it because of this post, then it was worth it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
to get you through the holidays, here's the link.

I hope you don't mind that your post was merged into this thread.  But readers can now use the link in the main topic on p. 1 for even better results.   [santa_smiley]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I hope you don't mind that your post was merged into this thread.  But readers can now use the link in the main topic on p. 1 for even better results.   [santa_smiley]

No, I don't mind.   I think it's more appropriate here.  Thank!