Poll

What was the most important decision in "Dark Shadows" history?

Dan Curtis heeds his wife's advice to turn his dream into a TV show
7 (17.9%)
Dan hiring Art Wallace to create a story bible for DS
2 (5.1%)
The casting of Jonathan Frid
21 (53.8%)
The cancellation by ABC in 1971
1 (2.6%)
Dan decides to make a DS feature film
0 (0%)
Dan Curtis keeping the original tape/kinescope masters
8 (20.5%)
Kathy Resch, Marcy Robin et al decide to start a DS convention
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Tell us what was the most important 'behind the scenes' decision in DS history  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Lately I've been thinking of what has led DS to be the phenomenon it is today, and it seems that several key decisions have helped to keep DS alive.  They range from Dan Curtis agreeing to his wife Norma's advice to turn his odd dream about 'a girl on a train' into a TV show (1965) to a group of DS fans led by Kathy Resch and Marcy Robin creating the first DS convention (1977). 

Personally, I feel that the decision with the deepest impact is Curtis' decision to keep the master recordings of each episode.  Well, we wouldn't be here in such large numbers today if those master tapes were erased back then.  Due to the expensive cost of videotape back then, the rule regarding most soaps in the 1960s and 70s was to reuse the tapes after a few weks or months, which is the sad reason why there aren't many original B/W or color tapes of soap episodes from those decades.  There are exceptrions (Days of our Lives and The Young and the Restless were produced by Columbia Pictures/Soiny Televison, and Ryan's Hope was owned by Labine-Mayer Prods. from 1975-81), but most soaps didn't start saving tapes until the late 70s.

Without those original DS tapes, there would only be kinescopes of most episodes in the vaults until ABC stopped making them in late 1970.  (BTW, that's the situation with ABC's own collection of pre-1978 General Hospital episodes).  Fandom would be limited at best, and there would only be a few websites saluting the show (as in the cae of Love of Life, Somerset and other soaps of the period). 

On the other hand, what would've happened if someone else had been hired to play Barnabas, if Art Wallace hadn't been hired to create a story for the new show, if Grayson Hall had taken that shower instead of answering her phone that fateful day in mid-'67, or if Dan hadn't been urged on by his daughters to go full-tilt with the supernatural elements of the show!

So, come on and tell us what was the most important decision in DS history.  Choose from the above, or tell us your own  opinion.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
That is a tough vote! Without reading what you had written, Charles, I was torn between the JF casting and the decision to keep the videos. I leaned toward JF, though.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
It's got to be Mr. Frid, hands down.  Without Jonathan Frid, the show would have gone to the dogs.  Mr. Frid was and still is a great theatrical speaker.  I think we should get on our hands and knees and hail Jonathan Frid. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

David

Wasn't Bill Malloy the first actual DS ghost?
The reaction ABC got to that led to Josette's ghost, which led to Laura, which led to Barnabas.

That makes Malloy the most important DS decision, because he paved the way for the show we love!

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Seems to me that the most important behind-the-scenes decision (the actual details of which now seem likely never to come to light) that resulted in DS leaving the airwaves in April 1971.

As Charles indicates, I think the decision of DC to save the tapes was equally important.  It does show just how strong his personality was (I'll phrase it that way for now) that he was doing that while assuring everyone connected with the series that the day to day shows were "kleenex" that nobody was ever going to see again after the date of broadcast... To me, since he was saving the shows from the beginning he must have always had potential syndication in mind (though it's possible he also saved everything because he put so much of his own energy into launching and producing the series).

G.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
It's got to be Mr. Frid, hands down. Without Jonathan Frid, the show would have gone to the dogs. Mr. Frid was and still is a great theatrical speaker. I think we should get on our hands and knees and hail Jonathan Frid.

My sentiments exactly!

Without Jonathan Frid's wonderful and excellent portrayal of Barnabas, the show would have been canceled, and would have been known as just another soap with a few gothic undertones.

Just my opinion though.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
With all due respect to Frid's obvious talents, I very much doubt he could have saved the show playing the role of a normal, human cousin from England.  It was the decision to have him be a Vampire that made all the difference.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
With all due respect to Frid's obvious talents, I very much doubt he could have saved the show playing the role of a normal, human cousin from England.  It was the decision to have him be a Vampire that made all the difference.

I think that's probably what the others were saying, that the introduction of a vampire, and Frid's portrayal of the 'guilt-ridden' creature, is what saved the show.  As we all are well aware, according to DC, the ratings SOARED after he was introduced.

I think that all the elements Charles has in his choices played an important part to the show's success, but let's face it, the introduction of Barnabas is what ultimately saved the show from the ABC chopping block.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
We've pointed this out many times, yet the miconception continues to persist:

It's a common misconception that Curtis preserved the DS episodes, but that's not actually true. Curtis has never owned them. ABC did and then ownership was transferred to Worldvision. ABC is who should be thanked for preserving them.  :)  However, we can thank Curtis for filing suit against ABC because, even though he didn't win, the result finally got the episodes released into syndication. A couple years ago I shared an article about the suit that appeared in Variety in 1975:

'Dark Shadows' Prompts Suit Against ABC And Worldvision

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As we all are well aware, according to DC, the ratings SOARED after he was introduced.

And another misconception that we've tried to dispel (;)):

Though many articles certainly give that impression (along with many other erroneous impressions  ::)), it may not be entirely true. The truth was that ABC gave DS an alotted amount of time (I believe it was 26 weeks) to improve its ratings or be canceled. However, the ratings began to climb slowly once the supernatural stuff really began to be incorporated into the show - they climbed even higher during the Laura storyline - and, of course, they climbed still further once Barnabas was introduced. We'll probably never know if ABC would have considered the pre-Barnabas rise strong enough for the show to have avoided cancellation because the alotted time for improvement ran into Barnabas' introduction, but there had been definite improvement before him. It's also interesting to note that the increased viewership of early-Barnabas over the non-supernatural DS was only a million viewers (10 million vs. 9 million) and was still far short of what viewership would be even a year later (16 million)...

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Well, I know I'd never be watching if it wasn't for Frid and the fact they had the sense to recognized his talent for playing ambiguous tragic characters and allowing him to play a "guilt-ridden vampire". Very, very smart move.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us what was the most important 'behind the scenes' decision in DS histo
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 06:55:14 AM »
My initial impluse was to go with Jonathan Frid, but then I figured it had to be #1, turning his dream into a TV show.  After all, if he hadn't started it, then none of the other things could have happened.
Josette

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
I don't think any one of the elements Charles listed can solely be attributed to saving Dark Shadows, or making it the "phenomenon" it has become today. I would argue that all these elements, along with several others not listed, played a significant role in the shows genesis as well as its timeless appeal. How about Sy Tomashoff's gorgeous sets? Or the alluring music Robert Cobert served up? There are so many facets that made/make this show the phenomenal entity is has become. I just can't limit it to only one. ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
The casting of Jonathan Frid. He saved the show.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Tell us what was the most important 'behind the scenes' decision in DS histo
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »
Seems to me that the most important behind-the-scenes decision (the actual details of which now seem likely never to come to light) that resulted in DS leaving the airwaves in April 1971.

I'm not quite sure what is seen as a mystery here?  Dan Curtis was tired and ready to move on, so was half he cast + JF didn't want to play a vampire anymore?  Its been said many times that Dan wasnt really knowledgeable about the serial daytime format and reusing the same plot devices over and over again just with different characters --he didn't want to kill off Dr Hoffman to restart the "somebody figures out Barnabas's secret" plot story.  I would also guess ABC wasn't offering anyone gobs of $$ to continue.
Julia99