Author Topic: Had Fun at the Fest  (Read 19723 times)

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: Had Fun at the Fest
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2006, 06:38:30 AM »
I won something too but I will not go into it.

I still want to know who the b**** was :)
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »
I have had to be away a few days, as Diane has had a slight illness and we had an unwelcome visit from "Eduardo." I hope these photos attach.
Michael  
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »
aaack!. Lemme try again.The files are too big. Any advice on how to reduce them would be welcome. ::)
Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2006, 10:20:57 AM »
Oh go ahead and brag - you one the 8 X 10 color, autographed photo of Donna Mc. as Amanda Harris.

Where are you going to hang it? ;D

Nancy

I won something too but I will not go into it.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »
I think it was the woman who won the auction -- the one who was making such a spectacle of herself that her friends wanted to crawl under their chairs.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2006, 03:28:36 PM »
Not to be out Done by Jenny I won the Quentin doll and had David Selby sign the box

That's a wonderful picture, LdyAnne.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »
I think it was the woman who won the auction -- the one who was making such a spectacle of herself that her friends wanted to crawl under their chairs.  ;D

OMG.  I considered bidding on the magazine (it was a steal at that price); is that what you won?  If so, I'm glad I didn't.  Wouldn't that have been a hoot?-- the biggest detractors of AH acquiring DM's stuff.  But it's a sweet collector's item.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Fest Report
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
Sunday afternoon's auction offered a neat blueprint of the sets that looked to be in excellent condition; the DS Celebrity Cookbook ($200); an original DS Cookbook ($40); a press kit from the '91 series ($80), D. Curtis' personalized coffee mug (in gothick lettering like the series title); an autographed magazine featuring Donna McKechnie from Chorus Line ($25); Burnt Offerings DVD ($40); Curtis' trading cards; a brick from the foundation of Spratt House ($80); a Spanish kinescope; summaries and file box from the original series ($90); Rebecca Staab's vampire lenses and her Visine bottle ($50); additional daily summaries ($150); Dan Ross' portfolio ($75); the Barnabas portrait from HoDS, unframed ($13,000); and more.

Gothick wrote about RJ Jamison's presentation.  If I may add a bit more, as the Q&A was quite interesting¢â‚¬¦

Author RJ Jamison said that Grayson Hall was not easy to cast; she had a specificity about her, and not every play had a role suited for her.  She loved people but was particular about whom she worked with.

In the 1940s, she relocated to California with 1st husband Ted Brooks, who was older than she, but Grayson didn't like living there.  With more success, she may have been targeted for blacklisting because she fit the supposed profile of a Communist.  For one thing, she was Jewish, and she was outspoken.  She loved the theatre, and didn't care for the local scene.

She was particularly close to Nancy Barrett, who said their relationship was wonderful.  Grayson was eccentric--odd in so many ways, she added.  It made her so fascinating.  At first, people were taken aback by her as she was not an easy person to know, but eventually they became devoted to her, following her everywhere.  "I adored her."  She gave the description of Auntie Mame meets Morticia Addams.  She was mom to the rest of the cast.

There was a question as to whether GH had any medical training for her role on DS.  Sam was fascinated by medicine, but who knows?, Nancy Barrett replied.  She couldn't handle a BP cuff!  Then, "She could fake absolutely anything."

Next came a question about the character Julian Hoffman and her almost not making it onto the show.  Certain myths about her casting are clarified in the book, RJ explained.  Another actress whose name has been lost, backed out at the last minute.  Getting the role on DS meant Grayson and Sam didn't have to move back to Ohio.

Sam and Matthew supported RJ's efforts, giving numerous hours to answer questions and opened their homes and photo albums to her.  Half of the photos in the book are from their private collections.  Unfortunately, a long standing family commitment prevented Matthew from coming that day.

The role of Mrs. Robinson was promised to her by Mike Nichols, who pursued her for the role for some time.  However, she was not cast in the role, and was informed by a reporter in a bar that she had lost it.  Sam called it "the great loss of her career."

Her first date with Sam went horribly wrong, and both were engaged to others at the time (she to Ted). Their 2nd date occurred 4 years later, and they ended up checked into the Algonquin.  Sam is a Protestant from Ohio, and they decided they could only tell his family 1 of 2 things-- either that she was Jewish or that she was divorced.  They opted to tell his family that she was Jewish because being divorced was considered a character flaw.  She was not a devout Jew.  The reason that word of her first marriage was never published was that she never told her in-laws, and it's the reason she never told her fans.

Grayson spoke fluent French, studying it her whole life.  Her IQ was high, and she took classes to the end of her life.  Did the character of Natalie come about because of this [her fluency]?, a fan asked.  Nancy Barrett replied that she didn't know, but Sam was writing then.

(next:  Jerry Lacy and KLS)

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2006, 10:21:53 PM »
I didn't attend the Costume Gala because of a private...
WHAT?? ??  You DIDN'T attend the Costume Gala???   [jawdrp]  You mean you missed the sheer magnificense of our theatrical efforts, "A Pirate's Maine Treasure"?? ??

Never Fear, there's always next year!!!  Hey, that rhymed!  Me.  And rhyming.  What a concept!!!

LOL!

Judy
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2006, 11:50:12 PM »
Not to be out Done by Jenny I won the Quentin doll and had David Selby sign the box
Great picture! Lucky you!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2006, 12:34:05 AM »
Who built the wonderful drawing room set?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2006, 01:50:06 AM »
Who built the wonderful drawing room set?

From Re: D.S. FESTIVAL 2006 WEBSITE --
Patrick DeBlasi, who built the set ...
... KLS' webmaster is apparently multi-talented.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2006, 04:14:25 AM »
Jerry Lacy watched scenes from the sofa of the Collinwood stage set--Julia begs Tony to hang on to the notebook ("Ohhhhh Rooooooger, ohhhhhh, Roooooooger, noooooo" inspired laughter), Barnabas forces a confession out of Reverend Trask, the bricking up scene, and Gregory and Charity/Pansy (when she gives him a "bump").  David Ford had warned him that being on the show would be a "rough ride."  But it was a lot more fun than he expected.  He "didn't expect to be here today, 40 years later."

What did happen to Tony Peterson?  Lacy said Adam very likely scared him away.

From playing Tony, he got the Trask bit.  Once he was assigned the part, he set about the best he could and worked with the makeup man, and the character came along.  Did he try to make him fanatical?  Within the bounds of the script, he replied.  It was his favorite of them all, he had to say.  His heart goes out to the original Reverend Trask.

Did he do soap operas before?  Not to any extent.  He did one day on The Secret Storm and that was about it.  He went onto As the World Turns after DS.

In recent news, his daughter just completed her last performance of the play, "I Coulda Been a Kennedy."  It's a political drama.  [We learned during another segment that she studies at NYU.]  There were 5 performances, and they hope to get the kinks out.

The Q&A formally began, and he was asked how he prepared his voice for the role of Trask.  He made his voice a little more guttural, and affected sort of a pompous speech pattern.  It wasn't normal.

When asked about Clarice Blackburn, he said he loved her.  Later on, she became a writer on Love of Life, and he knew her a long time afterwards.

He was asked about Play It Again Sam.  It was his first time working with Woody Allen.  He spent a year or more in it on Broadway.  It was out of town before that, and Allen was changing and developing it and they worked together on it.  "He's quite a character, and probably just as neurotic as he pretends."  The resemblance was of course an immediate help in getting the role in his first and only Broadway show, but it eventually became a bit of a hindrance because he was so identified with Bogart.  In auditions for movies, plays, and TV, he was considered more of an impersonator or comedian than an actor.  "It hurt quite a bit."

He was asked to do Bogie and a line from PIAS was suggested.  He said, "That was Woody's line."  The fan qualified that he spoke it while coaching Woody's character.  Then he said he doesn't remember lines from the play and offered to do something for us from Casablanca, though he hasn't practiced and doesn't know if he can still do it.  Then he did a great job reciting, "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine" and to much applause.

When asked about his commercials, he said he did quite a few in the years afterwards.  He did a Right Guard commercial, and one with Marie Wallace for Right Guard.  He also did some other industrial films for producers, but nothing else mainstream.

He explained that all the Trasks were meant to be similar, though "each and every one had a little idiosyncrasy."  Gregory was older, and as for the butler¢â‚¬¦ "I don't know what his gig was."  Lamar had the same pattern.

I didn't catch the exact question about wine, but he replied, "I love wine.  I wish I had some right now."

Reverend Trask didn't think he was wrong, he explained.  After all, "the fire drove her right out there.  What else could you ask for?"  It wasn't visible on camera, but Trask wore a long black cape, and after Victoria came running out and he grabbed her and screamed, "I have the witch!" she actually walked inside of his cape.  With each step, they went lower and lower until they fell out of view of the camera.  "We ended up on the floor."

Asked about the sets on The Young & the Restless, he said that during the intervening years, technology improved tremendously.  Dark Shadows really had grand, solid and beautiful sets.  When he went directly from DS to As the World Turns, they were still using sets that wiggled and were painted on.  By the time he appeared on Y&R, a good 10 years had passed and the sets were as beautiful as on DS.  The main thing, though, was that you could edit the tape, whereas on DS there are lovely bloopers to see.

He couldn't answer why he didn't appear in NoDS and said that maybe he has never seen the movie.  Someone from the audience (Charles Ellis, I think) answered that he couldn't get released from ATWT.  [lol]

I forgot to mention that earlier that day, Chris Pennock did indeed pause during his reading to allow his daughter to sing for the audience.  Tara Pennock gave a beautiful rendition of "Defying Gravity."

(to be cont'd)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2006, 04:15:38 AM »
Auntie Mame and Morticia?!     No better combo as far as I'm concerned.     I want to know GH now.   An unabridged audio of the book would be great.     It seems like one of thore things Talking Books wouldn't do.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2006, 01:08:13 AM »
The Collinwood Players are so good. Goes without saying. I had a spectacular time at this event. The folks that put on the show are dedicated and so full of fun. Kudoes to them! They do an excellent job!
It's a blast and funorama to see such dedication and laughs. You kids really did a nice show. The costumes were imaginative and the acting a blast. Please continue the fun. I am looking forward to more of the same.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.