Author Topic: Had Fun at the Fest  (Read 19764 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Fest Report
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2006, 05:02:28 AM »
On Friday, the long line in the main hallway of the Festival area was for Lara Parker, who sold photos and books (one also on audio).  Across from her was the PomPress table where KLS, as friendly as ever to fans, eventually appeared.  The registration table in the next room actually had no line when I arrived, though that wasn't the case when it first opened a few hours earlier.  Yet another room to the right of the registration area was for MPI (who had a limited number of the Bloopers & Treasures DVDs, plus DS clocks, tote bags, shirts, pens, boxer shorts, etc.).  The tables opposite MPI had several photos for sale, also Marcy Robin selling ShadowGram and Kathy Resch with her various books, and behind the latter stood the Barnabas portrait.

Behind the registration area was the entrance to the Ballroom.  I didn't attend any events in the ballroom Friday evening, sorry!, but I'm guessing that ProfStokes will be able to talk about them in her much-anticipated writeup.

On Saturday, also in the main hallway were Big Finish Productions with their first 2 audio CDs, author RJ Jamison selling her Grayson Hall biography, Betsy Durkin, who had photos and her book, tables with memorabilia, and the Central Florida Fan Club's table.  Jay Nass was selling his photos in an adjoining hallway.  In the next room, to the left of the registration area, Chris Pennock was selling comics, Jerry Lacy's table offered photos, and Marie Wallace, Diana Millay and Donna McKechnie were selling and signing their books.  The longest lines were for Lara Parker and KLS, though several of the actors were immediately accessible.

I thought the Vicki painting would bring in more than $700 at auction.  One of our Forum cousins, btw, bought the first foundation brick from Spratt House, and paid much less for it than the one that sold the following day.

In the ballroom on Saturday afternoon, the three handsome representatives from Big Finish Productions took the stage to speak about DS Reborn and play a trailer that gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.  During the Q&A, they explained that CD sales will dictate whether the series will continue.

David Selby read a funny and touching passage from his book "A Better Place," but first he spoke about losing his father a week before, who used to ask him, "Don't you think you should come home?"  His father had a difficult time after his wife passed away, and every day since David left home, he would ask that same question, and, "Is it safe out there?"  He called his father after 9/11; he didn't understand what had happened, but he never stopped asking him, "Don't you think you should come home?"  It was a lovely tribute, but I honestly don't know how he held it together so well as he spoke about his loss.

Donna McKechnie was introduced and we were treated to video of her dancing on Hullaballoo and her singing "Do I Hear a Waltz?," then Grayson's voiceover for #933--lovers Quentin and Amanda wish to be together in the land of the living, but they may not touch, though the tape was stopped, leaving us with a cliffhanger.  She then spoke about her career and how, she said, "life happened"-- with a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis came the news that she would never walk again. At the time, she was thinking of herself and how she longed to return to the stage.  When she finally gained the courage to talk about her condition, it was via a NY Times article.  Though nervous that the stigma may have ended her career ("It's all perception"), it felt important to her to get the story out.  But she did not anticipate that she'd receive hundreds of letters as a result.  She then discussed her doctor, who provided her with a food list for his prescribed cleansing diet.  Getting the word out about RA has become her mission.  She explained that her character was killed off, not at Dan Curtis' whim, but because she had to go into rehearsals for "Company."

She was appearing in "Promises, Promises" and had just been dumped by Ken Howard, an Adonis whom she was in love with, when she auditioned for the part of Amanda Harris.  With her heart broken, she went to her appointment with Curtis.  The hairpieces she wore on the show weighed 25 pounds (or maybe it was 20, which is what's in the book, she said) and were attached with long hairpins.  When she told people about her final DS scene, no one believed her until eventually she met someone who was on the set and told her, "I remember how they left you."  We then saw Amanda's final scene amid a cascade of peat moss and Styrofoam rocks, some the size of boulders.  In the rehearsal, btw, she said she was given a plastic bag to protect her face, but was surprised that the final take done in costume and wig consisted of a stagehand dumping 10 times more peat moss than before, and with nothing to protect her face. During the Q&A, she spoke of working on Hullaballoo with the Rolling Stones, Eric Burdon and the Animals, (she was an animal head on a plaque on the wall, but her head unintentionally bounced with the music), Chubby Checker, and Freddie and the Dreamers.  About Michael Bennett, she said she met him as a young dancer on the show, and everyone knew he would do something big; every dancer followed him around.  She announced two upcoming book signings, and when asked said she has developed a sensitivity to persons with disabilities.  This has absolutely changed her life, she said.  "To learn compassion was a difficult muscle for me."

(next:  Cast Reunion)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Fest Report
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2006, 03:39:29 PM »
The registration table in the next room actually had no line when I arrived, though that wasn't the case when it first opened a few hours earlier.
Maybe one of these years they will finally figure out that, if you're going to have separate volunteers handling different letters of the alphabet, then the lines should run perpendicular to the registration table rather than having a single line parallel to it.  ::)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Had Fun at the Fest
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
Midnite... thanks very much.   Well told.

rainingwolf... hi!  I don't know what your name means, but it has a nice ring to it.    I like how you bring up your difficulties in a matter-of-fact way, no diplomatic evasion.    

And after hearing about Donna and D Selby's father, I'm encouraged by the fact that these events can be about more than trivia contests and show-biz stories.     In fact, the more decades go by, the more depth the convention experience must acquire, because everyone has lived through so much more of their lives, and apparently guests are sometimes willing to share that, both positives and negatives.

PS-- Donna M's diet worked?  How and why?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »
Maybe one of these years they will finally figure out that, if you're going to have separate volunteers handling different letters of the alphabet, then the lines should run perpendicular to the registration table rather than having a single line parallel to it.  ::)

But, that would require the Fest to make SENSE!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »
While it wasn't quite as unique as the Barnabas portrait, Crazy Jenny won a wondeful and semi rare item in the auction. Here she is pictured below displaying the autograph and photo of Joan Bennett she won.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2006, 09:40:55 PM »
Midnite, thank you so much for the continuing update on the fest. You do an excellent job with the descriptions!  :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
Lovely, CrazyJenny!

The Cast Reunion:

I wrote about Frid's phone call, and the cast's reactions to it, earlier.

The actors were asked to talk about what each has been doing.  David Selby said he has just finished another book, and in addition to writing has been acting and gardening.  He produced a film, and a couple of his movies should be out, he said.  And he enjoys looking after his granddaughter, Brianna (sp?)-- it's "the best thing."

Marie Wallace mentioned her book, published last year.  She has some signings this year and keeps busy as a special events photographer.  NY Presbyterian Hospital is one of her biggest clients; also Columbia Presbyterian. She is no longer acting, though she she fits in a commercial once in a while.  "Tomorrow may be different."  These things are what keep her busy and happy.

Betsy Durkin's book for women about classic men's clothing came out in June.  She said women do buy a lot of their clothes, but she found there was no book out there for them that's down to earth.  It was self-published, so she is promoting it, and men's retail stores have started carrying it.  She has a house in the Hamptons and feels it's good to try a new thing.  You're "never too old to grow."

Donna McKechnie will play Patty Andrews in "Over Here!"

KLS thanked Jim for arranging the phone call with J Frid.  She called it one of his best secrets.  She mentioned appearing in the Huff season finale, calling it X-Rated ("That's Showtime for you"), and she said Jim should show it if he has a copy.  [He didn't have one with him.]  She has written a lot of DS  books, and finished her first fiction--the first in a series of Jinx Fogarty mystery novels.  It took a little over a year to write.  Then she said almost everyone on the panel has a book, and how extraordinary that is.  She's so proud of everybody.

Lara Parker was thrilled to see many new people at the Fest.  It was a great cast, and they have never stopped reinventing themselves and trying new and more remarkable things.  They were all "terribly unusual people."  None of them are crawling into the casket and giving up.  [I feel that was uncalled for, but that's me.]  She has written her 2nd DS novel, and there will be a sequel if everyone buys it.  The new book is a prequel and a sequel to the show:  How the Collins family curse happened, and it picks up with Barnabas no longer a vampire.  It took 6 years to write (!!!) whereas Kathryn is writing 1 per year.  She closed with, "Long live Dark Shadows."

Diana Millay is working on a new book:  "Create Success or Recreate Your Life," or something like that.  She still has her Millay Travel Club, because "you all love to travel," though it's mostly in our dreams.  Last year she planned the Romania on a nickel trip.  But she is passing the mantle to a new Travel Club president, though I only caught the name Jeff (she would have to wait for her scheduled time on stage to introduce him).  "I'm fabulous at choosing inexpensive, wonderful, unused, unsoiled places to go," she said, but Jeff is far better at choosing fabulous places.  She encouraged fans to join her travel club and go places.  It's "my joy to give to you."

Chris Pennock began by making very strange noises that I don't dare try to explain.  He was in "Eighteen Minutes," playing a schizophrenic who thinks he's an orange.  He said it played at Cannes last month.  He also mentioned "Boozin' for Wolves," his response to "Boozin' for Sheep," and do I have a clue what Chris has been talking about?  I really don't.  With much more clarity, he said his daughter Tara is a phenomenal singer, having auditioned for American Idol, and he will pause while reading from his comic tomorrow so that she can sing something for us.  "She is the real talent in the family," he said.  "Hi, Tara."

John Karlen told us that 51 weeks a year he does nothing.  He "waits and waits for this moment now.  I have absolutely nothing going for me."  But he might spend a day at the races, or see a movie--The Marx Brothers.  He said he's smart enough to know when to throw in the towel.  If a fighter is into the 12th or 13th round, then shame on the manager.  And ten years ago he threw in the towel in favor of walking the beaches of California, all alone with an orange.  [Again with the orange?!]  At this point he was cut off, and registered his protest.

Lisa Richards said there's no one better than John.  They did a play in which she wreaked havoc, even pulled out a knife.  This year she appeared with Stephen Mendillo in "Bad Hurt on Cedar Street" and hopes to do another production.  "You do wait."  While waiting, she had a terrific time, playing in "You Can't Take It With You" at the Geffen [in Southern California].  She congratulated Tara Pennock and said her son Alex is in "Ima Robot" and just finished his second recording for Virgin Records.

A fan asked, with the arrival of the 40th anniversary, how has the show remained in your life?

L Parker - She responded quickly that there are still new stories, such as the audio CDs, which she compared to the Dr. Who stories.  She said, "The show won't ever go away."  It's a testimony to how original it was, and it has enriched her life in many ways.

D Selby - It provided a start for him.  He doubts there are many places where he hasn't met a smiling face¢â‚¬¦ "Hi, Quentin."  It always gives him a warm feeling.  He has 40 years of friends right there.

M Wallace - It was a wonderful show to be on.  When it ended, she thought it's over; it was time to move on to another show.  But due to conventions and reruns, it became more important in her life.  The festivals are such fun and it's great to see everyone.  To her, it's a phenomenon.  She gets to see new people, even 15 or 18 years olds saying it's my favorite.  It's heartwarming and wonderful.

B Durkin - She talks to a lot of people at conventions, and they come with their children and grandchildren, saying they're all enjoying the tapes.  They can tell her what she did because, thanks to technology, they just watched it last week.  There are many shows you can't watch now with your kids, but this show is family entertainment that crosses generations and will be here for more time.

D McKechnie - In her travels she meets people who come up to say they saw her on Dark Shadows, and they bring their children.  It's heartwarming.  She thanked Marcy Robin for keeping her in touch over the years through ShadowGram.  She misses it if she doesn't get it and plans to email Marcy about everything she does.

KLS - She thanked the fans for sticking with it.  It has been on PBS, SciFi, VHS, and now DVD.  Dan Curtis was a big part of her life; DS was her first job.  Thanks to Dan, she got work in England and Hollywood, started a publishing company, and began writing.  She attended his funeral and memorial.  Big Finish brought her back to the studio to work together with the cast again on the CDs.  It's an end and a beginning happening at the same time.  "It's quite amazing."

D Millay - She wore flowing velvet robes because she was pregnant and at the time couldn't get a job.  It was a wonderful experience. She liked everyone she worked with, but didn't stay too long--"Thank heavens."  DS will be around for many years.

C Pennock - After DS, it was downhill for him.  Life became a pale reflection.  Now he does comic books about it.  "I'm a happy DS camper."

J Karlen - "Didn't we just do this?  I quit the business.  Do you want to hear it again?... I've had enough of you."

L Richards - If not for the fans, we wouldn't be here.  "Thank you."

I enjoyed the Frid video, particularly his Richard III reading from Act I.  I'm very much looking forward to watching the vid on his website.

I didn't stay for Nancy Barrett's performance.

The pilot was preceded by the Game Show segment (Frid and Alex Stevens on "What's My Line," etc.).  The 70s movie trailers segment ("Race With the Devil" with LP, "A Small Town in Texas" with JK, "Zero to Sixty" with Denise Nickerson) was amusing, but unfortunately you didn't see much of the DS actors in some of them.

The 2004 pilot was screened to a very attentive audience, many of them seeing it for the first time.  Since I watched it last year, I was able to take in more this year of the sets, music and direction.  And I still jumped during creepier scenes even knowing what was going to happen.  The ending that I so love didn't inspire the giggles that I heard in L.A., at least not where I was sitting.  A friend commented that they packed too much story into the pilot, and I have to agree that it did move very quickly.

Thanks, Sunny Collins!

(next:  Sunday)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2006, 10:20:20 PM »
J Karlen - "Didn't we just do this?  I quit the business.  Do you want to hear it again?... I've had enough of you."

I didn't see the cast reunion, was he kidding when he said this, or was he grumpy?  Did it get a laugh?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2006, 12:20:20 AM »
I didn't attend the Costume Gala because of a private party, so I hope to be able to read about it and maybe even see some photos.  I did see Charles Ellis dressed as Charnak (!), and VAM as Petofi blew me away.  Also, I heard ProfStokes wowed the audience again with a new song.

I didn't see the cast reunion, was he kidding when he said this, or was he grumpy?  Did it get a laugh?  ;)

I took it as a joke and chuckled at it.  JK is a clever man that I think was in a somewhat difficult position up there-- retirement had just been referred to by Lara Parker as "crawling into the casket and giving up."  Karlen had a terrific career in TV, stage and movies, won an Emmy, and has overcome a serious health crisis.  I'm sure his life would make a fabulous book, but that's not to say that he doesn't deserve to stop when he chooses and just walk on the beach.  Besides, we have beautiful beaches in Southern California.  :D

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2006, 01:21:07 AM »
  He also mentioned "Boozin' for Wolves," his response to "Boozin' for Sheep," and do I have a clue what Chris has been talking about?  I really don't. 

I think he said "Buddhism for Wolves".  Other than that, kudos on a fantastic memory!
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2006, 01:51:45 AM »
I think he said "Buddhism for Wolves".  Other than that, kudos on a fantastic memory!

Ah, thank you!  That makes SO much more sense, lol, especially since he said something about mantras.  (Duh, Midnite.)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2006, 02:18:05 AM »
I didn't attend the Costume Gala because of a private party, so I hope to be able to read about it and maybe even see some photos.  I did see Charles Ellis dressed as Charnak (!), and VAM as Petofi blew me away.  Also, I heard ProfStokes wowed the audience again with a new song.
From your lips to God's ear. Oops...I'm stilll 2000+ post from being a 'God'.  >:D  Here are a few piX I took of the Gala.  ;D
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2006, 02:42:20 AM »
Perfect!  "Nicholas Blair" just kills me.

BTW, about that Barnabas portrait... did anyone else have the urge to add a "c" to "To be autioned"?  The thing is, reaching toward the portrait with a black marker would surely get a person in serious trouble.  ;)

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2006, 03:14:20 AM »
While it wasn't quite as unique as the Barnabas portrait, Crazy Jenny won a wondeful and semi rare item in the auction. Here she is pictured below displaying the autograph and photo of Joan Bennett she won.  :)

Thanks for posting that pic Bobubas!  Believe it or not, in all my years of coming to the fests, I'd never won anything in an auction before!  It was quite a rush even if it was only a $100 rush!
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2006, 05:51:45 AM »
Not to be out Done by Jenny I won the Quentin doll and had David Selby sign the box