Author Topic: Did anyone see or have comment on Frid Vid  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
Did anyone see or have comment on Frid Vid
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:08:59 AM »
Lots of groups were talking about the Frid special video he made for the fest...was this a rumor or was it played at the Fest...i can not find any post in this forum that mentions it being played. >:D
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone see or have comment on Frid Vid
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »
You must have accidentally missed this post from Saturday night in the "Jonathan Frid Creates Special Video for the 40th anniversary" topic (:)):

They showed it today. They will also show it tomorrow. It's a shame they felt they had to cut it down as much as they did, including chopping his farewell, but at least we had the fun surprise of his live phone call during the otherwise mundane cast reunion.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 07:26:01 AM »
It was played!  He was great!  In a nutshell, he greeted the fans, talked about the digital camera technology and then read from Richard III.  His reading was excellent as always, although unfortunately it was edited down.  I'm not sure if Mr. Frid edited the material or if the Fest did it.  It was a shame because I would have enjoyed hearing more and the edits seemed quite abrupt.  He ended by telling the audience that he was going to revive some of his Reader's Theatre selections  in the future.  I assume the Reader's Theatre selections will most likely appear on his site when he performs them.  The video presentation actually sort of faded out abruptly at the end, and it seemed like he was going to say more but it faded out pretty fast at the end.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:38:24 PM »
I saw the video.  The quality was less than pristine, probably due to the technology that projects something meant to be seen on a computer monitor onto a giant screen.  At times I thought he looked like a videogame avatar (or whatever the hell they're called), but then, I have old eyes.  What made the experience of seeing it memorable to me was the warmth of his demeanour and that wonderful voice which truly does get only richer with the passing years.  I was also very moved by the passion with which he performed the scene from the Richard play.  I'm afraid I got a bit lost as it has been awhile (let's not discuss just how many years) since I last read that play, but I knew the outlines of that scene so I was able to keep the main thread.  I thought (and perhaps I'll post this suggestion to his guestbook) that it would help if his webmaster could add subtitles giving the character names as he performs each scene, plus perhaps a short "dramatis personae" screen for each scene.  Still, great stuff.  I just love watching JF perform R III.  His voice, his face, give me chills whenever he plays that character.  I always recall what an inspiration R III was for Barnabas, particularly, I think, for the original 1967 storyline.

As has been posted, this video, along with others (I believe), is going to be available on JF's website.  He mentioned with a somewhat sly look (as if to say, Wouldn't you like to know what cat I've got in my bag?) that updates to the website are occurring almost daily now, so if you're a Jonathan Frid fan, make it something to look at in your daily online routine!

Best, G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 07:44:43 PM »
The video presentation that Jonathan Frid made for Saturday night was pretty much a last minute decision on his part hence the rushed and choppy quality of the performance and video itself.  He wants to improve upon it before uploading the video to his website.  Believe it or not, the video was emailed from Canada and downloaded in California for burning as a DVD for the festival.

JF does have a lot more planned in terms of providing past and new performances.  Let's keep the cat in the bag for now. :-X

nancy

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:13:22 PM »
I loved the video and could listen to the man read to me all night but the real special moment was the unexpected phone call. Brought tears to my eyes.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 10:38:44 PM »
I agree.  I got the impression that Jonathan Frid was THRILLED with the technology that allowed him to reach out to his many fans, without having to endure an exhausting trip, or having to expose himself to the dangers of a large, albeit devoted, crowd.   It seemed obvious to me that he's still very much interested in life, and the world around him, and delighted to be remembered by so many fans.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »
Who wants to start to take up a collection to buy and send a digital video camera to Alexandra Isles so she'd hopefully make a video/possible call for/to next year's Fest?  [b003]

mscbryk, is that you I see waving your hand?

[lghy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:59 AM »
Who wants to start to take up a collection to buy and send a digital video camera to Alexandra Isles so she'd hopefully make a video/possible call for/to next year's Fest?  [b003]

[laughing4] [stfl] [laughing8] [laughing11] [laughing6]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:58:19 AM »
I can tell you that he heard the crowd yell out "We love you" when he was on the phone.

Just this past week JF learned that there are video editing programs to be loaded on the computer to edit whatever he shoots on his digital camera so I know he will be exploring other ways to entertain fans online and maybe via video.

Nancy

I agree.  I got the impression that Jonathan Frid was THRILLED with the technology that allowed him to reach out to his many fans, without having to endure an exhausting trip, or having to expose himself to the dangers of a large, albeit devoted, crowd.   It seemed obvious to me that he's still very much interested in life, and the world around him, and delighted to be remembered by so many fans.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »

mscbryk, is that you I see waving your hand?

mysterious,

i'm thinking of having a bake-sale...or a garage-sale...or donating an organ. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
i'm thinking of having a bake-sale...or a garage-sale...or donating an organ. ;)

LOL mscbryk!  Hey, I *really* enjoyed meeting you and hanging out w/you at the Fest btw.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 03:29:31 PM »

mscbryk, is that you I see waving your hand?  [lghy]
Absolutely! GMTA Indeed. Let me know when I can donate. I also thought maybe we can do some fan seances too. Maybe we can start out with Peter Turgeon just to test the waters.  ::)
Michael  ;)
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
I also thought maybe we can do some fan seances too. Maybe we can start out with Peter Turgeon just to test the waters.  ::)

Oh we'd have to contact the Divine One first!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"