Author Topic: a few things to do in brooklyn  (Read 5178 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: a few things to do in brooklyn
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 04:31:42 PM »
Groovy!

I love that our generation still says GROOVY!  I do it all the time.

Well, very shortly now Bobubas, Karlenfan and I will head from bucolic Jersey to Brooklyn for the Fest.  See all of you there later today.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 05:50:23 PM »
Outasite!  I'll be there Saturday afternoon.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
I don't know what her schedule is (I guess one can go to www.cunard.com to see), but if the Queen Mary 2 is docked, take a look at her.  Well, from a distance, since security won't allow you too close.  But even from a distance, she is impressive.  I was fortunate to spend a month aboard her in 2004, her maiden season.  She now docks at a Brooklyn pier designed just for her; her previous dock in the Chelsea area in Manhattan proved too small.

Gerard,

I did check it, thanks! There was a cruise ship in Brooklyn Harbor on Friday-- we could see it from the waterfront and while walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (thanks, arashi, for the recommendation).  I didn't think of the QM2 when I saw it, but once I read your post had to be sure and learned that she was in Hamburg that day.  Ah well.  None of their ships were in NYC on Friday, so the identity of the one we saw shall remain a mystery. :)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 04:09:14 PM »
None of their ships were in NYC on Friday, so the identity of the one we saw shall remain a mystery. :)
Perhaps it was a ghost ship...well, it would have been appropriate considering the occasion!  ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 05:21:29 PM »
CastleBee, I like the way you think!   [oky]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 07:41:52 PM »
Gerard,

I did check it, thanks! There was a cruise ship in Brooklyn Harbor on Friday-- we could see it from the waterfront and while walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (thanks, arashi, for the recommendation).  I didn't think of the QM2 when I saw it, but once I read your post had to be sure and learned that she was in Hamburg that day.  Ah well.  None of their ships were in NYC on Friday, so the identity of the one we saw shall remain a mystery. :)

You brought back memories for me, Midnite!  When we sailed on the QM2 in 2004, her maiden season, we docked in Hamburg.  Because she is the first transatlantic ocean liner to be constructed in 35 years, and the longest, largest, tallest ever built, the city pulled out all the stops.  There was a massive dockside carnival, a fireworks-and-laser show at night, and the 2,000,000 (they were expecting no more than 200,000) who came out to see her virtually shut the city down.  Wherever we went in the city, whether on tour or just to walk around, we were treated like celebrities; people would stop us to have their pictures taken with us!

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Indian Restaraunts
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »
Gothick, when you get to the hotel, just ask the conceirge, he or she should know of any Indian joints in the area.

Well, some of those concierges do some business on the side, and maybe a little peyote, if that's close enough.

Buzzzz...  you're younger than me, and our age group never said "groovy"!   No one said "groovy" except for five minutes in 1967 anyway!   I think it was part of a purchase agreement when you got a Nehru jacket!    But I consider it much more acceptable to say it now, when it's out of style.   I love anachronisms.    I respect colloquial anomalies.    I never do anything until it's safely and totally out of style.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »
just a few blocks away on atlantic avenue there is a great and inexpensive fish and chips place called chip shop.besides fish and chips they serve authentic british dishes(mushy peas,scotch eggs,fried mars bars)and pub beers.

the hotel congierge probably has any additional info needed.

I really wanted to try this place out and had meant to print the info about it, but time got away from me. I did ask the a couple of people a the concierge desk, though, who had never heard of it, and the guy at the door didn't even understand what I was asking.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »
I really wanted to try this place out and had meant to print the info about it, but time got away from me. I did ask the a couple of people a the concierge desk, though, who had never heard of it, and the guy at the door didn't even understand what I was asking.

What a shame, barnabasjr.  The Chip Shop seemed pretty close to the hotel when I looked it up.

OMG, the hotel restaurant-- when service was good, everything else was enjoyable.  But when service was bad... on Friday night, our party had to wait over an hour for our food.  On Saturday, a firend had to find the manager to get service, then again to get his check.  I stopped eating there altogether.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »
i'm sorry it was so hard to find.

i actually had dinner there last night.i should have posted more specific directions.

what's the verdict on the cuisine at the banquet?i haven't heard anything.

once again it was great to meet you midnite! :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Restaraunts
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »
Buzzzz...  you're younger than me, and our age group never said "groovy"!   No one said "groovy" except for five minutes in 1967 anyway! 

Um, no, we said it in the 70's too!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 10:09:09 PM »
OMG, the hotel restaurant-- when service was good, everything else was enjoyable.  But when service was bad... on Friday night, our party had to wait over an hour for our food.  On Saturday, a firend had to find the manager to get service, then again to get his check.  I stopped eating there altogether.

There was a FANTASTIC bar/restaurant about 2-3 blocks from the hotel, can't remember the street it was on but you had to cross the street in front of the hotel, walk through the courthouse courtyard, cross one more street and pass a Duane Reade's.  It was an Irish pub and I think it was something like Moira's?  Or something like that--Sheenasma, MsCriseyde, LdyAnne, do you recall the name?  Anyway, the food was great, reasonably priced and the service was steller.  They even put up w/our rowdy bunch late at night.  ;)

what's the verdict on the cuisine at the banquet?i haven't heard anything.

I got the vegetarian meal and it was awesome!  It was like a lasagna/manicotti type entre w/cheese and veggies inside.  It was wonderful!  ;)  The cheesecake was good too.  ;)  I heard the chicken was actually quite good this year, probably because it didn't SIT for hours, ppl actually had to wait for it this year.  First time I think THAT'S ever happened. ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
There was a FANTASTIC bar/restaurant about 2-3 blocks from the hotel, can't remember the street it was on but you had to cross the street in front of the hotel, walk through the courthouse courtyard, cross one more street and pass a Duane Reade's.  It was an Irish pub and I think it was something like Moira's?  Or something like that--Sheenasma, MsCriseyde, LdyAnne, do you recall the name?  Anyway, the food was great, reasonably priced and the service was steller.  They even put up w/our rowdy bunch late at night.  ;)

Eamon Doran on Montague St.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »

You SAID it, Midnite! When my Chip Shop plan didn't pan out on Friday I figured I'd eat at the bar, I just wanted a hamburger, and it was after 10.  I got a coke and the bartender just disappeared. The guy next to me had some dish delivered about a half hour after I got there and he sent it back cuz it was cold. I gave up and left and ONLY went back on Saturday w/ retzev where we at LEAST had the pleasure of meeting you! That was the ONLY good thing about the place!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 01:57:21 AM »
I gave up and left and ONLY went back on Saturday w/ retzev where we at LEAST had the pleasure of meeting you! That was the ONLY good thing about the place!

Thank you!  That was cool, and I really enjoyed it.