Author Topic: David Selby father's obituary  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
David Selby father's obituary
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:55:01 PM »
Baseball coach Clyde Selby dies
Known for his years with youth league, strong patriotism

BY BOB HERTZEL, The Dominion Post

Clyde Ira Selby is best known for his work in Morgantown's youth baseball program, but the retired carpenter and contractor was also a passionate member of the American Legion. Selby, 90, died Tuesday.

Selby not only coached Morgantown's Post 2 Legion team to state championships in 1973, 1974, 1976, 1980, 1981, and served as state American Legion baseball commissioner, but he was also state president of the American Legion.

"He was an extremely patriotic man," said WAJR-radio general manager Dale Miller, who took over as manager of the American Legion team from Selby in 1985 after Selby had coached it for 40 years.

Miller noted that Selby would attend games after leaving as manager and would offer a scowl if both the American flag and the American Legion flag weren't displayed.

"We would have the American flag and either the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem before every game," said John Raese, head of Greer Industries and senatorial candidate. Raese played three years for Selby.

Selby was known as a level-headed leader of young men. "He wasn't a coach that yelled, cussed and threw things," said Karl Sommer, a local pharmacist. "He treated you like an adult. If you had a problem or needed to talk to him, he was there."

"He made you want to play for him," said Rick Rice, who played with four brothers in the American Legion program under Selby and later would manage the Post 2 team. "He enjoyed the relationships with the kids. You wanted to win for him."

Selby was an accomplished carpenter who built his own home, worked on many houses in the Morgantown area and who helped to build the Little League field in Marilla Park.

Selby's son, David, is a noted character actor who has appeared on Broadway, in films and in such television series as "Falcon Crest," while his other son, Craig, is president of the Charleston Newspapers Inc.

His wife, Sarah E. McIntyre Selby, died two years ago.

A memorial service for Selby will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Spruce Street United Methodist Church, of which he was a lifetime member.

Submitted Photo Craig (left), his late mother, Sarah,
David and Clyde Selby gather in this undated family photo.
Julia99

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: David Selby father's obituary
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 07:37:40 PM »
Awww, that's SO sad!  Poor David!  He's such a sweet man I hate that this, although it's inevitable that parents die, had to happen.   :'(  My heart goes out to him and his family.  His pop sounded like a pretty cool guy too.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:53:18 PM »
Likewise, I feel great sympathy for the Selby family.  It takes some time to grieve over a parent. It was months before I got out of the habit of picking up the phone to call my Dad when he passed. The description of his Dad reminds me of a lot of my older Lodge brothers, lots of veterans. Its really an honor to be members with guys who fought at Normandy on D-Day and the guys who were in the Pacific. I admire their strength, virtue and conviction. I know David is a very caring person, after seeing him at the shows and reading his books. Again, our prayers of consolation will go out to him.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
My deepest sympathy to the family..... :'(

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:41:37 PM »
Here's another obit (Charleston Gazette) with a photo.

http://wvgazette.com/section/Obituaries/

Just enter the name "Selby" in search by name option at the top.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 09:47:45 PM »
My deepest sympathy and condolences go out to David Selby and his family. It is difficult to lose a loved one. My sincerest prayers are with him.  :( :'(
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:34:40 AM »
I shook hands with Mr. Selby when David spoke at Fairmont  State a few years ago.  He seems like such a great man.  My deepest sympathy and condolences for David and Dave.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 07:10:19 AM »
i too feel for him as i miss my Dad every day and sometimes
find myself starting to call him for advice even after a year and a half.
memories do help and it sounds like the selby family have good ones

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »
It is very sad to hear about the passing of Clyde Selby. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to the Selby family and friends.