Author Topic: HODS on Turner Classic Movies, October 21, 2006  (Read 1053 times)

ClaudeNorth

HODS on Turner Classic Movies, October 21, 2006
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:41:25 AM »
Turner Classic Movies will be running House of Dark Shadows at 12:00 AM (ET) on Saturday, October 20, 2006.

To clarify, that's late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

I know it's over two months away, but it's never too early to set the VCR, eh?  ;)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HODS on Turner Classic Movies, October 21, 2006
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 01:49:58 AM »
Thanks  :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:19:58 AM »
They are airing Lugosi exclusively on 8/18. Early for Halloweeny, but...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:17:40 AM »
Oh, this will be my first time seeing this.

I'll either have to make sure that TCM is among the channels in the cable package I'm ordering for my new apartment, or I'll have to make sure I make a trip home that weekend. XD

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:48:30 PM »
To Ian and others who have never seen house of DS--

be aware that it's much more like a late Sixties low budget vampire flick (with a gore quota comparable to, say, Hammer's Taste the blood of Dracula, but far less stylistic finesse) than it is the series we all know and love.  The movie is populated by people with names like "Barnabas Collins," "Julia Hoffman" and "Eliot Stokes" who exist as characters only because of the superb non-verbal acting ability of the artists portraying them.  Nearly every scene, dialogue sequence or set-piece that actually established the people in the movie as characters was axed in favor of a higher gore content (slo-mo stakings, close-ups of blood running, etc.)  I well remember that as I walked into the theatre back in the Summer of 1970, I heard one person ask his friend "So, what'd you think?" and the other man's reply:  "Lots of teeth, lots of blood."  I still think of this single sentence as the ideal review of house of Dark Shadows.  They could use it in the New York Times television section.

Grayson does look fabou throughout, of course.  Love the bed-head do!  And the costumes in the ball sequence, though we see everything far too briefly, are the most lavish and exquisite yet.  The one for Barnabas was used on the show subsequently, and I think one or two others as well.

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
Is it too much to ask TCM to show the film in L  E T T E R B O X format?

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 08:05:58 PM »
And the costumes in the ball sequence, though we see everything far too briefly, are the most lavish and exquisite yet.  The one for Barnabas was used on the show subsequently, and I think one or two others as well.

They were used for the costume party sequence in 1970PT weren't they?

[spoiler]And who didn't want to slap Quentin when he had that little temper tantrum when Maggie appeared at the stairs wearing Angelique's dress? Seriously dude, if you still have that many problems with the ghost of your ex-wife you shouldn't have gotten married again![/spoiler]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
[spoiler]And who didn't want to slap Quentin when he had that little temper tantrum when Maggie appeared at the stairs wearing Angelique's dress? Seriously dude, if you still have that many problems with the ghost of your ex-wife you shouldn't have gotten married again![/spoiler]
That's what I'M talkin' about! He alone makes 1970PT almost unbearable! LOL re the bedhead-do, Gothick!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia