Author Topic: Lunch at the Blue Whale  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Lunch at the Blue Whale
« on: August 10, 2006, 02:55:28 PM »
I haven't been around much lately.  Work takes all the life out of me.  It kind of reminds me of Barnabas sucking the life out of his victims.  Anyway, we are on vacation this week and last.  Yesterday we spent the day in Newport and we had lunch at the Black Pearl aka The Blue Whale.  My family loves the chowder there.  The day was lovely. .  We walked the Cliff Walk and saw "Collinwood" from the distance.  We didn't get a chance to walk around the grounds, we had done that many times before, we were expected for dinner at my sisters.  Anyway, I thought of all of you and had a silent toast to the DS gang with my G & T at the "Peral".

Birdie [beer]
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Lunch at the Blue Whale
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
Sounds like it was a fun day. And though we seem to keep missing each other there, I'm still hopeful that one of these days we'll meet up with each other at Seaview.  ;)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:33:05 PM »
Cool Birdie!  I love the Black Pearl, aka the Blue Whale.  Did you know they actually have a cocktail there called  The Blue Whale?  Hmmm...lot's of references to booze today.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:21:46 PM »
Cool Birdie!  I love the Black Pearl, aka the Blue Whale.  Did you know they actually have a cocktail there called  The Blue Whale?  Hmmm...lot's of references to booze today.  ;)

Hehe.  yes, didn't we all order those?  I'm not sure it's actually one of their signature drinks.  I think we had quite a tough time finding a bartender that knew how to make it, but they were very good and VERY blue!
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
Hehe.  yes, didn't we all order those?  I'm not sure it's actually one of their signature drinks.  I think we had quite a tough time finding a bartender that knew how to make it, but they were very good and VERY blue!

I think you and Cindy did, I thought it was a menu item.  No?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:59:17 AM »
You are making me homesick. I went to the Pearl once with a drawing I'd done of the Blue Whale, in hopes they would hang it up somewhere. But they were so anti-DS, that I didn't bring it up. The food was outrageously priced (for this New Englander), the serving people snobbery, and the experience was just lousy.
I visited local establishments for the real feel of New England and had a much better time. You'd be surprised at how little lobster costs at a dive bar, most like the Blue Whale than the Black Pearl.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 02:53:10 AM »
You are making me homesick. I went to the Pearl once with a drawing I'd done of the Blue Whale, in hopes they would hang it up somewhere. But they were so anti-DS, that I didn't bring it up. The food was outrageously priced (for this New Englander), the serving people snobbery, and the experience was just lousy.
I visited local establishments for the real feel of New England and had a much better time. You'd be surprised at how little lobster costs at a dive bar, most like the Blue Whale than the Black Pearl.

Yeah, Newport can be kind of snobby in general.  What do you mean by anti-DS?  Did they say anything crummy about the show or roll their eyes?   ::)   I had a feeling they were like this which is why I didn't bother trying to tape there when we did our pseudo-Blue Whale segment on my show.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 03:36:03 AM »
Yeah, Newport can be kind of snobby in general.  What do you mean by anti-DS?  Did they say anything crummy about the show or roll their eyes?   ::)   I had a feeling they were like this which is why I didn't bother trying to tape there when we did our pseudo-Blue Whale segment on my show.

Oh I've heard stories about a young group MANY years ago who had dinner there and  put a tape recorder under the table to play "Back at the Blue Whale".  I'm not sure the reaction of the staff, but I'm sure they were less than tickled. ;)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
Hi, Birdie!  Glad you had a lovely time.

So... where can one get a good lobster roll in Newport?   ^-^

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
Diane's and my experience at the Black Pearl/Blue Whale was very good. It was just after the 2003 festival and we were not the only Dark Shadows fans in that day, as we could tell from the convention shirts other patrons were wearing. Our service was very good, the food especially the chowder was good, and our waitress acknowledged without any condescension that many DS fans dine there. I thought the lobster was pretty good. Maybe we just had a luckier day. Pricey, yes, but we expected that in Newport, which by the way has one of the best Ghost Tours we've been on as well.   [Ghost00]

Michael  [ghosty] 

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
Went down to Bannister's Wharf a few years ago, 1999 - The Black Pearl was fun - It was the perfect beginning to my Seaview excursion, and it was a sunny May day, too! I would highly reccomend Newport RI for any of you history buffs out there, as well.  Two years after that, I spent a week in Essex, CT and that was a blast!  If you ever get to the Griswold Inn, try their home made sausage - it's particularly good in a soup they make!  I did all this when I still lived in Bangor, Me, so it wasn't a long trip at all.  However, I intend to go back soon, as I miss New England a bit, living in Orlando.

Petofi

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »
Hi Birdie miss you sorry you are working so hard :o
the BESt Lobster Roll is on Cape Cod  (Raw Bar Mashpee) Black Pearl
isn't as good

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
which by the way has one of the best Ghost Tours we've been on as well. 

You and your ghost tours, LOL!  I didn't know that there even was a ghost tour in Newport!  We just dealt w/the very spooky at night Seaview Terrace.  The energy of that place completely chanages at night.  Fine in the day, SCARY at night!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »
Looks like I will be back in Newport tomorrow if things go as planned.  I am taking my daughter on a college seach.
We will be going to U-Mass Dartmonth and Salve Regina.  That is one of her many reach schools.  She will get in no problem, but what kind of financal aid she gets is another story.  We won't be going to the "Peral" again.  Too pricey.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:10 AM »
Best of luck, Birdie!

And thanks so much for the info, jennifer.